Mysterious Looping Login with Member Plugin

I relaunched a website http://ipads4specialneedsbook.com at a new hosting provider WP Engine. For the most part everything is smooth but I installed a WPMU Membership plugin that is giving me some issues.

Users register for free to get access to my book (about ipads and
special need) for FREE. The whole book. I launched last thursday and 440 plus people have already signed with over 17K page view on the book so far. Which is great.

There is a small handful that are having a couple of issues.

Issue 1 for what ever reason registation is not getting completed
even through plugin is set to auto complete registration. I have a list of users i have had to complete registration for that i can send

Issue 2 even when registration is completed correctly, they still
cannot login (endless loop) You can see their comments under Forms/Entries. There are about 15-20 of these so far and growing. Some people have cleared their local cache and it works, other cannot get it to work even when they login in from a different machine or browser. There does not seem to be a pattern yet.

Two main settings so far that have reduced issues. Auto complete registation for help solve issue 1. Payment gateway is paypal, i could not get free subscriptions gateway to work. I also have Use Subscription set to None, as i only have 1 level so when i have set to the free level it never completes to the welcome page.

This is a free resource for mostly parents of special needs kids, they have enough going on in their live so that when i cause them frustration i really feel bad.

I can provide logins, and issue account lists per your request.

Thank you very much for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sami

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Issue 1 for what ever reason registation is not getting completed
    even through plugin is set to auto complete registration. I have a list of users i have had to complete registration for that i can send

How do you mean they couldn't complete registration.

Registration is literally 4 fields, username, email address, password and confirm password.

What happens, does they get an error? Something else?

Payment gateway is paypal, i could not get free subscriptions gateway to work.

Why, what happens?

You would use that gateway is all subscriptions are free.

If any of them are premium and some free then you'd use a gateway like Paypal. (not the free one)

There is a new beta here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-343-beta

Please give that a whirl and if you still have any issues or find any bugs you can post there for Barry to debug.

Take care.

• sami.rahman

Timothy

How do you mean they couldn't complete registration.

Registration is literally 4 fields, username, email address, password and confirm password.

What happens, does they get an error? Something else?

this happen say 1 in 20 times, i cannot duplicate consistently: i create a test account, i fill out all fields and complete registration, most of the time i can get access to protected content, sometimes not. but here is the thing some times not all of the information is in the all members list. ie during the registration process it does not write everything to the database. further everyday when i check the all members list there are new users that do not have no subscription even though i have auto complete subscription and there is only one level and it is free.

Why, what happens?

You would use that gateway is all subscriptions are free.

If any of them are premium and some free then you'd use a gateway like Paypal. (not the free one)

when free subscription is selected as the gateway, in some cases my test accounts do not complete and i can get access to the content. When i was having problems early on i switched it to free gateway, had a lot more users tell me they go an endless loop (complete registration are logged in but still get protected content message and are asked to register again) so i switched back and it seemed to get less reports.

I have 500 users not since thruways afternoon, and 25 or so have emailed directly. i have also caught another 20-30 who dont have a subscription and add then to the free pool.

i am reluctant to try beta software on a product site unless you can tell me that some of the issues i have described are address but specific changes. I will put it in my staging server but since these are inconsistant issues, i am not sure how i would test properly

Your feedback is much apperiate, let me know what you think based on my responses to your questions

Thanks

Sami

• Timothy Bowers

this happen say 1 in 20 times, i cannot duplicate consistently: i create a test account, i fill out all fields and complete registration, most of the time i can get access to protected content, sometimes not. but here is the thing some times not all of the information is in the all members list. ie during the registration process it does not write everything to the database. further everyday when i check the all members list there are new users that do not have no subscription even though i have auto complete subscription and there is only one level and it is free.

Sounds like a full signup isn't being done. They're registering but maybe not completing the subscription signup.

You could have it so so registration puts them direct on that level:

Admin --> Membership --> Options

Where the incomplete signup is you can set the subscription to be assigned on signup.

That way regardless of where they signup and how they will get the level.

When i was having problems early on i switched it to free gateway, had a lot more users tell me they go an endless loop (complete registration are logged in but still get protected content message and are asked to register again) so i switched back and it seemed to get less reports.

Sounds again like they never made it onto the subscription, so they registered but didn't go all the way through.

Using the process I mentioned above should auto assign a subscription for all registered users.

i am reluctant to try beta software on a product site unless you can tell me that some of the issues i have described are address but specific changes. I will put it in my staging server but since these are inconsistant issues, i am not sure how i would test properly

You're working direct on a production site?

Might be time to create a sandbox site for testing and getting things going with.

I couldn't say for sure what's been done in the beta but I know Barry has done a far few things so far.

The issue here is as you've said, finding a pattern to it. Without a pattern it seems unpredictable and hard to track down.

I still think that something is happening between registering and completing a subscription.

Anyway, let me know if that suggestion works for you.

Take care.

• sami.rahman

Timothy

You could have it so so registration puts them direct on that level:

Admin --> Membership --> Options

See my attached walkthrough, it issue is that when i use this option the user does not see the welcome page and does not get further instructions.

You're working direct on a production site?

i am having issues on my production server that is why i am contacting you. because i cannot consistently duplicate any of these issues, testing the bata on my staging server (which i am doing now) is not much help since i cannot consistently duplicate the problem.

Does this plugin create any logs that i can read through?

• sami.rahman

Looks like the forum stripped the walkthrough due to size. here is last a most important screenshot of the walkthrough. if i set the option to automatically subscribe them to the site, the last page in the process is not editable. I need to be able to edit what they see as the last screen to direct them where to go next. until like if i make them click the subscribe button, then they land on the welcome page.

So how do i setup the plugin with only one subscription and that subscription is automatic AND where they finish on a page where i can get what they see? for example the welcome page. With only one subscription and automatic subscription set, then the plugin never end up at a welcome screen.

thanks

Sami

• sami.rahman

OK i have isolated and can duplicate the problem. On windows using IE 9.

1. User creates account properly
    2. User cannot access protected contact, while logged in User still sees protected content message. user account properly setup on backend.
    3. User must logout, clear cache
    4. User can then login and see book

Can you test this http://ipads4specialneedsbook.com

Are there any recommendations?

Thanks

Sami

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there again.

As you've currently tested this with the latest beta:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/membership-343-beta

Then it would be best to report the issue there for Barry to see as well (I'll also ping him to this thread). I'll also ask if @Tom Eagles or @Patrick Cohen can test this for us in Windows.

I was just testing within FireFox on Mac, also V18.0 and I was able to signup on my sandbox whilst getting a sub.

Thanks.

• Barry

User must logout, clear cache

Yes, WP Engine uses a lot of caching on their servers and sets up the expires dates of elements so that the browser will display a cached version of the content rather than a live one. If it's not possible to disable it, then do you get a difference if you put no cache code in the header of your theme?

See this link for the code - if that works then it confirms that it's the browser cache that is causing the issue.
    http://james.cridland.net/code/caching.html

With only one subscription and automatic subscription set, then the plugin never end up at a welcome screen.

Yep, because they are automatically signed up. If you want to use this method then I'd use different registration system than the membership one, which is designed to have a user select a subscription, register and then complete the sign up before the welcome page is shown.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.