Nag Messages on Dashboard for new Sites

Hi all,

I'm using Pro-sites and having great fun configuring it and going through the forum topics (haha!). My question is general though, not specifically related to Pro-sites.

When a user creates a new blog, the first thing he sees is various nag messages from plugins that I've enabled by default. Is there any way to prevent these messages showing? Don't want to alarm users, would rather have a "Getting Started" widget in the dashboard which contains all the things they need to configure.

Here's a screenshot with all the messages I'm hoping to hide when they first log in:

Any ideas much appreciated!
Thanks,
Dee

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

Have you tested with just an Admin account on that site?

I just wonder if they made it so those messages only appear to network admins rather than normal admins or all users.

I'm not aware of any plugin which will find and remove all nag messages, you can create some custom code to remove those two though. It will take some studying here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/remove_action

You need to find how they added it as well, the remove_action function helps to remove actions added with add_action.

Let me know how you go with this.

Take care.

• Dee
    • Flash Drive

Hi Tim,

Thanks for getting back to me. Suspected there might be custom work involved - my development approach is to use out of the box functionality as much as possible plus only essential customisations. Makes life so much easier come upgrades and stuff, eh?

I think one approach would be to have plugins inactive during the pro-site level activation with instructions on the dashboard and/or custom help on what to do to configure each one. Just trying to put my end user hat on and want to keep any surprises when loggin in to a minimum :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help,
    Dee

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Ya, upgrading "out of the box" solutions is easier when you don't make edits, but you don't need to hack their plugins for this.

You can create a real simple plugin, 1 file with a function to remove those items.

That way upgrades shouldn't hurt. :slight_smile:

Generally for a developer it's pretty much a few minutes to get it done in most cases. The longest part is just finding where and how it was added.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.