Navigation Customization -- consolidating navigation bars, using cufon, and changing the background

My current theme was built custom, but I'm wanting to migrate to the Buddypress Daily theme (either temporarily or permanently -- depending on whether or not I'm able to customize to my liking). Regardless of whether or not it works for me, I LOVE the theme and am very impressed. Thank you for your hard work.

On my current site, each category tab in the navigation area is a different color, and the font is generated using cufon. What I'm wondering is:

How I can get the navigation area of my Buddypress Daily site (I'm using to practice) to look and function the same way my current site does?

I've been able to get cufon working, but I am unable to adjust the text, background and hover colors, and the cufon font size.

Can this be accomplished using just simple css adjustments? Or do I need to change any of the core php files?

I would also like to consolidate all navigation components from the information bar, the breadcrumb navigation bar, and the page navigation bar into one or two lines. I saw directions in a previous thread, but was unable to get it working and thought that I may have to do something differently.

Any help would be appreciated!

• Tammie

@S Silver: We can't really advise on cufon as that is not something this theme comes built in to use - however using it correctly should be not an issue with this theme. You can do anything and change anything with CSS so yes you can do it with CSS. However, I'm again not overly sure what you want to do and without doing it can't 100% be sure if it would just work with CSS.

I can't really comment about your consolidation of the navigation it all depends 'what' for instance are you removing the wp 3.0 menu bar? You can't consolidate that and the other ones unless you create 2 instances in one menu as it's an inclusive ul /ul.

It all sounds like some pretty intensive editing you want to do but it all sounds possible it's just the level of your CSS/code which I am not aware of. That or you could post a job on our job board for someone to assit you.

• S Silver

Okay, thanks Tammie. I'll play around with cufon and see if I can get it to work as desired.

Re: the consolidation of the navigation. I guess what I'd like to do is move the buddypress stuff onto the category navigation bar and then customize and use the Wordpress menu bar and then remove the then-obsolete information bar, and probably the breadcrumb navigation bar as well.

Thank you for your help. I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. And I'm really enjoying this theme.