Need a solution to allow users to login from my splash page

Hello,

how can i add the thin, clean buddypress menu (my account, dashboard, notifications) to my custom homepage/splashpage?

Heres my issue:

When someone creates a sub-site, they always get directed to my splash page, and the only way to see the login area is if they click "blog". Trying to not recreate the splashpage but simply add the clean buddypress stuff that's on the top of the screen if possible.

I've seen where you can change the wordpress code, but looking for a way to possibly add to my splash page so that I wont have to remember the code when/if there are updates.

Thanks in advance!

• WAARBA
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello, I searching for the solution and realized i am using the wrong terminology. I am trying to add the buddy press menu to a "page template" not a splash page.

Our home page is a page template, looking for the piece of code thaat would add the buddypress menu items.

thanks!

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

So the home page is a WordPress page? Whats currently removing the BP menu?

Perhaps you have something like this:

define('BP_DISABLE_ADMIN_BAR', true);

On that site to remove the bar? Or some CSS? or a remove filter/action function?

Generally it is enabled through your network which is why I ask about how it is disabled currently.

Let me know.

• WAARBA

its a template page. took a blank file and added this code as shown in the wordpress codex:

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Splash_Page
    */
    ?>

So yes, it is a wordpress page, but no, it never had any of the normal php coding.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

So you don't have get_footer() or get_header() functions there...

Well its the get_footer function which calls the bar I believe so you may wish to add that and try again.

It will also call anything else triggered through the footer.

You could look at doing something custom if you didn't want to do this through the footer. As a starting point you could look here for that:

http://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/modifying-the-buddypress-admin-bar/

Take care.

• WAARBA

Hello,

Finally figured this one out. Found that the code that adds the header to a blank template is:

<?php get_header(); ?>

So... If you need to build a blank page template, but want the buddypress and menu info to show up on the page, then you add this code to a blank file and upload to your theme folder:

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Add-template-pagename-here
    */
    ?>
    <?php get_header(); ?>

I still have to optimize my html a bit, but was able to make this work on our home page- waarba.com

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

I did mention the get_header. Depending on the plugin they will hook in through either that or the get_footer.

I thought it was footer for BuddyPress bar, so I just checked (not code) and found:

http://codex.buddypress.org/theme-development/modifying-the-buddypress-admin-bar/

The admin bar is triggered by wordpress ‘actions’. These ‘actions’ are events that are triggered throughout wp and bp. The admin bar responds to the action ‘wp_footer’ which wp themes trigger at the end of each page in the theme footer.

Glad its work for you anyway.

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.