Need clarification

PayPal Application ID's for WP InstantPay- (x.com) - I received and e-mail from InstantPay (x.com) Which I requested my PayPal application ID, they told me I need to purchase WP instantPay- Do I need this for chained payments ? Did I miss something somewhere?

Is there a way to get the cart to go on the right hand side like a widget and not on the top of the page? I am using your GridMarket 1.4.9

http://www.militarymamasmarketplace.com/ I need to know how to change the color of the text where is says Categories, Products ( Using GridMarket theme)

I need to know what settings I need to set up to have my store like an ETSY
Where the sellers will list their items, price, pics on my site - please share
I'm not sure how to allow others to list their products on my site. I don't think I have things set up correctly. I want them to register as a seller first then what needs to happen- How do I activate them to allow them to enter the products? see attachment

This is where I am confused:
They will create a site on your multisite. If you enable membership you can allow each user to create a site by visiting yoursite.com/wp-signup.php This will give them their own individual site where they can list products that will show up at yoursite.com/newuser where new user is the name they choose. You can create a global store on yoursite.com using the global shortcodes found on the Network Admin Dashboard>Settings>Marketpress>Shortcodes
How do I enable membership? How do I create the global store, I don't understand the short codes and where they go?

Received from Tech:
You don't need to enable Membership if you are going to use ProSites
Your shortcodes are just codes in brackets [lookslikethis] that you put on your page. When you Publish the page and then view it it will automatically create a list of all of the products on the sites within your network.
Shortcodes allow you to include dynamic store content in posts and pages on your site. Simply type or paste them into your post or page content where you would like them to appear. Optional attributes can be added in a format like [shortcode attr1="value" attr2="value"]. Note that depending on your preference above, you may only be able to use these on the main blog.
Visit you Network Admin area, Marketpress and scroll to the bottom, you will find them there
I'll attach pictures

I saw the pics, I understand how to get to the shortcode but now which ones I am supposed to use, suggestions?

I condensed all of my questions into one topic. Thank you all for your help. I am amazed at how much I got done with all of your help!

• Mason

*whistles*

Militarymama, when you consolidate your threads, you really bring em all into one! Go big or go home I always say :smiley:

So, let's take a look here. I'll try to answer your questions (at least the easy ones - others can chime in here as well) and let's see if we can put things right on track.

1. PayPal Application ID's for WP InstantPay- (x.com) - I received and e-mail from InstantPay (x.com) Which I requested my PayPal application ID, they told me I need to purchase WP instantPay- Do I need this for chained payments ? Did I miss something somewhere?

No way, Jose. You don't need it. Sometimes the paypal applications take a long time to get approved, sometimes they'll even come back and ask other questions about it, but WP InstantPay is a 3rd party service and is in no way required for using MarketPress or the chained-gateway it includes.

2. Is there a way to get the cart to go on the right hand side like a widget and not on the top of the page? I am using your GridMarket 1.4.9

There is almost always a way. In this case, there's actually multiple ways. Have you explored the world of child themes yet? We're going to need to create one and make modifications (at minimum) to the CSS. If all of that above is new and unfamiliar, let's table it for the time being. If you're really feeling adventurous do a google search for "WordPress child themes". We even have information here on these forums.

3. http://www.militarymamasmarketplace.com/ I need to know how to change the color of the text where is says Categories, Products ( Using GridMarket theme)

See my note above about child themes. There's no theme option for this.

Also, find, download and fall in love with a tool called firebug. It allows you to explore and make changes to sites "live" within the browser. The changes are just in your viewer (it doesn't actually change the site) but allows you to experiment with code changes so you can begin to learn to do them yourself.

4. I need to know what settings I need to set up to have my store like an ETSY
    Where the sellers will list their items, price, pics on my site - please share
    I'm not sure how to allow others to list their products on my site. I don't think I have things set up correctly. I want them to register as a seller first then what needs to happen- How do I activate them to allow them to enter the products? see attachment

This is where I am confused:
    They will create a site on your multisite. If you enable membership you can allow each user to create a site by visiting yoursite.com/wp-signup.php This will give them their own individual site where they can list products that will show up at yoursite.com/newuser where new user is the name they choose. You can create a global store on yoursite.com using the global shortcodes found on the Network Admin Dashboard>Settings>Marketpress>Shortcodes
    How do I enable membership? How do I create the global store, I don't understand the short codes and where they go?

I'm gonna answer both of these together by pointing out two fantastic resources. The first is right here on WPMU DEV:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/

The second one here: http://halfelf.org/ebooks/wordpress-multisite-101/

Download the ebook. Read it. Then, probably take another look through the ebook again. I think the disconnect for you here is understanding what multisite does and how it works. You're looking to build a business , I'm assuming, and there are no shortcuts to knowledge. It'll be more important that you as the owner and admin of this network have a thorough knowledge of the software on which this business runs. Any of us here will be happy to provide you with an answer to individual questions along the way.

We're looking to add some webinars in the future to provide more visual "walkthroughs" of WordPress Multisite and various topics, but until then reading the tons of resources available is the best option. Once you understand how a new site is created and how that site becomes part of a WordPress Network, a lot of these questions will be answered.

Make sure that when you're in Network Admin>Settings>Network Settings that you have Registration enabled. Select the option "Both sites and user accounts can be registered." under Registration Settings and click save. Now folks can create their own site (store).

As to which shortcodes should be used, that is 100% your choice. Take some time to think about what your users are going to want. If you were a customer, where would you expect to see a global category list or a tag cloud? Where would a listing of the latest products be valuable? These are the things you get to decide and implement through the shortcodes.

Hope this information helps. My goal here is to link you up with the best resources for accomplishing the task. Of course you could always hire someone to do the customizations for you and assist with getting things setup. We have a job board for that here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

But where's the fun in that? :wink: Many folks here have started just as you and have come to find that they really enjoy working with and understanding the technology behind it all. Heck, that's how I got started myself.

Do let us know if we can assist further with any of these. Thanks!

• militarymama

Thank you Mason! More reading, yes I agree with you the more I know the better. "TIME" I'm trying to get the site done quickly so I can see if I like it, if I do I will pay for the full year.

You all have been amazing.

I have another questions- not for this site for my other site. How does the hosting & domain affiliates work?

I know, I know..... I am working on 3 sites all at once, well sort of. We are opening a local community business too. I am a multitask-er!.

Rhonda.

• Kimberly

Rhonda,

Mason has done a great job (as usual!) of offering advice. :slight_smile:

As far as the hosting & domain affiliate: we don't have hosting affiliate, I don't recall even hearing of an affiliate program for that, nor a domain affiliate. We don't provide hosting or domain services here at WPMUdev.

The affiliate pluign that we offer allows your users to take a specific link to use on the front end of their website. When new users click that link and purchase a site or membership from you then your affiliate gets a portion of that signup payment. You set all that up ahead of time, but you must first have your registraiton running correctly and your members must have sites running as well.

Now go read something, Mason gave you alot of homework! :wink:

Best,

Kimberly

• militarymama

LOL- Yes homework...now to find the TIME to do it all? Sleep over with a bunch of teenage girls at a lock- in tonight. I see they are having a nail spa at 1am! How am I going to hang?? Packed weekend, but will get it done.

Goals..are important to reach. I am expecting to have this totally up and running by Wednesday.

Thank you all again! I am gaining much confidence. I told my husband I will be an expert and will be able to help someone else to get theirs running.

Rhonda

• Mason

Hiya Rhonda,

Whew, I got tired just reading your schedule. Hope the materials helps. I'm sure you're up to the task(s) at hand and will be able to get it up and running. There is, of course, tons to learn, but sounds like you're really motivated so hopefully it'll be a fun time as well :slight_smile:

Let us know if you hit any particular hurdles. If you're wanting to offer hosting to other folks many hosting providers off 'reseller' packages. Additionally, many domain registrar's like GoDaddy offer affiliate sales and the ability for embed a domain purchase, but you'd have to check with them for more details on setting that up.

Best of luck. Keep us updated!

• Dean Kaus

Hello Again @militarymama There is one other option that I would personally use if This Wed. is your drop dead date to have everything set up and running correctly. I would post a job opening with detailed description of what absolutely needs to be completed by Wed. It will cost a little bit but when in a time crunch and being a business owner, the decision to hire or DIY is a crucial one. Many times in the past (in fact I teach this now in my business lectures) I made the mistake of trying to do it all on my own to save a couple of hundred dollars and ended up losing thousands.

So If time is of essence I'd say give that a go. I believe you can post job openings from the main forum window.

The other suggestion that I'd highly recommend (I missed this step 28 years ago whien I first started my business) especially with a community business is to contact the local chamber of commerce and set up an appointment with a SBA person. The SBA is a group of retired professional executives and business people who are giving back. There are no fee's for their services and their advice and expertise are invaluable. They can help you with just about everything from setting up your business plan to making sure that what you're doing is the right way.

I wish you well on your project and didn't forget about the photo voting question you had asked me before. I'm still testing a few different option and still haven't found the perfect solution. We may need to start another thread on that subject. A couple of questions I need to know for that project is how many photos? do you want anyone to be able to post the photos or just you etc...

Good Luck! Later

• militarymama

I did do my reading, however I haven't been able to do much on the site. I will have to get this up and going over the next couple of weeks. It's been one heck of a week. My mom passed away yesterday. My hubby received a call 2 days ago and they don't know if his dad is going to make it. We might have to venture to Pennsylvania for his dad. Hopefully things will turn to the good for him today. We will find out today.

Thank you all for your help. If I have to pay the extra month, that will be fine. If I like the way everything runs, I will purchase the package for one year.

Will keep you posted.

Rhonda

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.