Need following information before launch of WP site

We are in the process of creating a multi-site Wordpress website whereby we will have a number of women businesses featured. Each member will have their own site many of which will be e-commerce based sites and as such we are leveraging the following WPMU plugins/themes:

Plugins
- MarketPress Pro
- Pro Sites
- Affiliate

Themes
- Simple Market
- Showcase
- FrameMarket/GridMarket
- Business Services

The questions we have are:

- Is there a feature/plugin that would allow us to display an icon/graphic for member sites on a single page much like the product listings for GridMarket?

- Is there a readme or other instructions available for customization of the registration process for Pro Sites?

- Is there a way to over-ride or disable the default "Free" level associated with Pro Sites?

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @linda_fitzgerald

I hope you are well today,

- Is there a feature/plugin that would allow us to display an icon/graphic for member sites on a single page much like the product listings for GridMarket?

In a way like a grid with each business icon on that links through to that business's website correct? In that case, I would personally use a gallery plugin or even the default media gallery that WordPress includes and link through to the site with the image, or did you need it to do something else from that?

- Is there a readme or other instructions available for customization of the registration process for Pro Sites?

Currently there isn't a guide on how to customize the checkout process for MarketPress, as it is quite complicated how it all works and is generated,which part did you want to edit? The overall checkout, how it looks or something else? You can read all markertpress documentation here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#usage

- Is there a way to over-ride or disable the default "Free" level associated with Pro Sites?

If you'd rather not offer a free level, you can enable the pay to blog module and allow a free trial or not if you want :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• linda_fitzgerald

Good morning Jack,

Sorry I didn't post 2nd set of questions to this thread with you, but here they are below:

Q1: - Is there a feature/plugin that would allow us to display an icon/graphic for member sites on a single page much like the product listings for GridMarket?

Your Answer to #1: In a way like a grid with each business icon on that links through to that business's website correct? In that case, I would personally use a gallery plugin or even the default media gallery that WordPress includes and link through to the site with the image, or did you need it to do something else from that?

Our next question:I had not thought of those, so that may do what we need. My hopes were that each member would have the ability to add an image/graphic and some text into a plugin/form/etc that would then automatically be displayed on the Business Gallery/Directory located on the main site.

Q2: - Is there a readme or other instructions available for customization of the registration process for Pro Sites?

Your Answer Q2: Currently there isn't a guide on how to customize the checkout process for MarketPress, as it is quite complicated how it all works and is generated,which part did you want to edit? The overall checkout, how it looks or something else? You can read all markertpress documentation here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/pro-sites/#usage

Our next Questions: Actually we don't want to modify the checkout process for MarketPress. We were hoping there was a way to enhance the checkout process for new members wanting to sign up for a blog/website through the Pro Sites plugin capability. In short have them sign up with any/all information unique to our members, combined with some means of approving or denying membership before the site was allowed to be live. Hope that helps clarify our objectives.

Q3: - Is there a way to over-ride or disable the default "Free" level associated with Pro Sites?

Your answer Q3: If you'd rather not offer a free level, you can enable the pay to blog module and allow a free trial or not if you want

Our answer Q3: That sounds like it will do exactly what we need. I will try that out....thanks

Thank you,
    Linda Fitzgerald
    Elite Member

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Linda,

No problem, I hope you are well today, sorry for the delay, I was away yesterday.

Our next question:I had not thought of those, so that may do what we need. My hopes were that each member would have the ability to add an image/graphic and some text into a plugin/form/etc that would then automatically be displayed on the Business Gallery/Directory located on the main site.

That does make perfect sense, but out of the box I'm afraid I don't know of a way that you can achieve this without custom coding, maybe this plugin might help http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/dynamic-content-gallery-plugin/
    As with this, you could get the business's to create a post about themselves, and then (if I'm reading it correctly), as it's dynamic it should pull in the featured image that has been set and then display in gallery form.

Our next Questions: Actually we don't want to modify the checkout process for MarketPress. We were hoping there was a way to enhance the checkout process for new members wanting to sign up for a blog/website through the Pro Sites plugin capability. In short have them sign up with any/all information unique to our members, combined with some means of approving or denying membership before the site was allowed to be live. Hope that helps clarify our objectives.

Yes, sorry about that, I was actually referring to Pro Sites, but wrote MarketPress by mistake. I can understand what you would like to do, but achieving this, could prove to be a bit more complicated, as you want them to have custom membership fields to fill in about themselves? And and approve them before the site would go live. While looking for a way to achieve the moderation, I found this http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/moderate-new-blogs/ which I believe is what your looking for? You may also find this helpful here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/12-new-multisite-tools-for-network-management-in-wordpress-3-0/

Our answer Q3: That sounds like it will do exactly what we need. I will try that out....thanks

Great! Let me know if that does indeed work for you :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member! If I can be of any further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• linda_fitzgerald

Jack,

This is Linda Fitzgerald again. We're now 2 weeks into the Alpha test of our Neighborhood Boutiques site. A little background before asking our questions:

1. We have an Etsy concept with a very different target market.
    2. We chose WPMU multi sites with MarketPress Pro plugin because I saw that Etsy uses the same platform.
    3. Now we discover that Etsy is a custom platform and not on Multi-sites/MarketPress Pro.
    4. We assume that Etsy started on your platform and has progressed to one of their own. Is that correct?s

Now having said the above, we are encountering the following challenges:

1. THEMES - the themes are far too difficult for non-software or WP savvy women to develop and customize. If we can't overcome this challenge, we lose prospective members.
    Q. Are there additional user guides for some of the themes?

Q. Given what we want to accomplish using a similar VERY SIMPLE theme for each of our women's boutiques; what theme do you recommend that any woman - regardless of her experience or lack thereof with WP - could use and quickly create a boutique similar to what we find when looking at Etsy?

Jack, thank you for your prompt response and expertise to help us move to the next level in our Alpha launch phase.

Warmly,
    Linda S. Fitzgerald
    Elite Member

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Linda (@linda_fitzgerald)

I hope you are well today. Thank you for the additional questions.

1. We have an Etsy concept with a very different target market.
    2. We chose WPMU multi sites with MarketPress Pro plugin because I saw that Etsy uses the same platform.
    3. Now we discover that Etsy is a custom platform and not on Multi-sites/MarketPress Pro.
    4. We assume that Etsy started on your platform and has progressed to one of their own. Is that correct?s

I'm afraid that Etsy has never used the MarketPress or WordPress Platform and was a custom developer from it's inception. Though it is possible to achieve a similar outcome with MarketPress and the use of WordPress Multisite together :slight_smile:

Q. Are there additional user guides for some of the themes?

I'm afraid there are no additional user guides for our themes, the only current users are on the usage tab of the theme pages, though other themes from other companies could of course be different.

Q. Given what we want to accomplish using a similar VERY SIMPLE theme for each of our women's boutiques; what theme do you recommend that any woman - regardless of her experience or lack thereof with WP - could use and quickly create a boutique similar to what we find when looking at Etsy?

Before I suggest which theme to use, could you tell me a little more about how want them to use? Should the store be on the front-page or should that be like a homepage, do you want a theme without a lot of options to make it simpler? Would you prefer a visual design theme, like a drag and drop theme builder?

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Dev4

HI Linda,
    I have been working on some sites that call for similar things to what you are looking for so I might be able to help with a couple items here.

For your main site try installing the theme called NETWORK
    Then each member can have their own image shown and the image links to their site.
    Set the "Static Front Page" option to use a specific page from their site (maybe have them all start with a page called "Profile" that includes the image they want to use.

Simplify their store by using the Frame Market theme.
    Create one or two sample sites where you configure the template with a nice look
    They will start with one of your samples and only need to change it if they want to.

Use the new Templates plug in to let them select one of your sample set ups when they sign up... This sample set up would include the Profile page and any other settings that might make things easier for them to get started...

You will need to install these, read up on them and play with settings but I think they will send you in the right direction.

• linda_fitzgerald

Thanks Jack and Dev 4,

Jack, I can't answer your last question as I'm not the developer. I will forward your question to our developer to get his direction.

A huge thanks to you, Dev 4. I will forward your information as well as it seems to be right on target.

BTW - you might want to alter the page that gives the impression Etsy is using MarketPress Pro. That's why we purchased it.

I will get back to both of you once I've heard from our developer. Thank you and have a great weekend!

Linda S. Fitzgerald

• linda_fitzgerald

Thanks for the follow up Jack! Our developer is working on modifications to our site to make it simpler for women not familiar with WP or Multi-Sites to create their "boutique".

Not sure what you mean by the following: BTW - you might want to alter the page that gives the impression Etsy is using MarketPress Pro. That's why we purchased it.. Do you mean one of our pages? It was WPMU that posted Etsy as a "client".

Can you tell me if our having paid for use of the plugin (a Gold member) and plan an ongoing subscription may we assume we can modify/customize as we need to do? Please advise as we may well need to do considerable customization in the future as we grow to the size we want and plan for.

Thanks much - have an awesome day!

Blessings,

Linda

• linda_fitzgerald

Jack and Dev4

The following technical challenges were forwarded to me by our developer:

In the process of developing our MultiSite Wordpress community we were hoping that with the combination of Wordpress, Pro Sites Plugin, MarketPress and the Blog Templates plugin (primary plugins), along with a couple of the themes, we would be able to simplify the setup of each members site.

To clarify the above statement, we were hoping that we would be able to achieve a simple registration process whereby the new user would select one of two templates offered, upload a banner graphic and modify the content of each page to their meet their needs. (This seems to work as we thought)

However, it does not appear that we have the ability to disable many of the other customization controls for any of the template associated Theme to prevent members from further customizing the look of their site ( navigation, colors, layout, adding additional pages, etc)

In the end we were hoping that for a given user and level we would be able to reliably predict how their site would appear, the number of pages, etc. While at the moment this does not appear to be possible, we were hoping there may be some information that we overlooking that would allow us to achieve the above design goals

Thanks in advance.

BASICALLY we want to have greater control over what more technically savvy members can do with their site, i.e. directing our site visitors away from our site to a members personal site, etc.

We want a more uniform appearance across all our sites (much as Etsy has) which requires greater control over what a member can do with their individual site on our multi-press site.

How do we do that as our developer is not finding how to do so.

Thanks for your prompt response as we are now a few weeks behind schedule.

Sincerely,

Linda S. Fitzgerald

• Dev4

Hi Linda,

I think that to achieve what you describe there will require some custom coding.
    Either removing the features one by one for things they can change, or maybe more easily by removing their ability to modify their templates completely (this is a setting), and create your own interface that just gives them the ability to change the header.

In either case, it does not work that way out of the box.

If you plan to have a small number of shops you could just disable thier ability to edit it alll, and have them submit the header which you install for them.
    That would not require any custom code but would be some work to manage.

• linda_fitzgerald

Thank you so much Dev4. You are a great help to us. I agree totally that we don't want to be installing headers (final goal for the site is 30,000 to 50,000 mini-sites).

I'm not a developer, but it occurs to me that your 2nd paragraph comes nearly what we need to consider; especially "or maybe more easily by removing their ability to modify their templates completely (this is a setting), and create your own interface that just gives them the ability to change the header". You say it's a "setting". Where will we find it in the code? Or will our developer know where it is so he can do what you suggest.

Again thank you so much. You are very helpful!

Sincerely,
    Linda

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there Linda,

I hope you are well today and sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

Can you tell me if our having paid for use of the plugin (a Gold member) and plan an ongoing subscription may we assume we can modify/customize as we need to do? Please advise as we may well need to do considerable customization in the future as

Yes you may modify and customize as needed not a problem.

With regards to restricting the features of the admin area and front-end, Dev4 has made a fantastic suggestion there.

You are your developer may also want to look into our easy blogging here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/easy-blogging/ despite it's name it can change the admin area to give access only to what you want for example, you could allow just access to pages, posts and then add a custom menu easily added via the plugin options, this would then restrict access to everything else and make it easier for the end user to use and understand the Admin UI.
    It's also possible to set up a wizard to explain what each part is to a new user.

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Dev4

Yes, the plug in that Jack mentioned is exactly what i use to block access to that sort of thing. That plug in does not give them menu access, but if they are wp experts they could type in the url to access the options.

If there are menus that need more secure blocking you can use a plug in (non wpmudev) to limit admin functions.
    I don't recall the name right now but there are a few mentioned on these forums so younshould be able to find one. If not let me know and i will check to see what i have used.

You are allowed to customize all you want, but whereve possible i reccomend finding ways to configure rather than code your solutions. That way when there are updates you dont have to review all of your custom code.

Sometimes you need to do custom though, and you can.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.