Need help choosing the right plugins

Hello,

I'm new to this site. I am looking to add a directory and buddy press plugins on our site and would like some advice on which plugins to choose. We like the buddy press site... http://tastykitchen.com/

I"m not sure about which directory site to choose, we will be showcasing stores and would like to have photos, description, Google maps and possible a showcase feature. It would be nice to have an area where people can choose certain things they are looking for in a shop and have the directory narrow it down to stores that carry the items they are looking for.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Kelley

• DavidM

Hi Kelley and first off, welcome to WPMU DEV!

I actually just saw a video from Boone Gorges (one of the BuddyPress developers) regarding Tasty Kitchen, extolling the great customizations they've got surrounding BuddyPress!

That said, as you mentioned stores, were you planning to use, or are you aware of MarketPress?

Using the Multisite feature of WordPress, it'll easily handle a multi-store network.

It's very intuitive to add products using MarketPress and of course, photos and even maps, perhaps via our own Google Maps plugin, can be included.

There's any number of ways to showcase sites on your network, depending really on how you'd like that to work. The easiest would be to simply create respective posts on your main site highlighting and linking to your sub-sites.

MarketPress also includes a variety of global widgets, shortcodes and even template functions that you could use to display products on your network, filtering by various items by category, price, etc.

That may actually help with your further concern as well, regarding users choosing certain things and being able to easily find them, as you could use categories or tags for that, for example.

There are a lot of specifics to cover here though, and if you'll just let us know any specific questions you might have we could have a look with you on those.

Thanks,
    David

• kfranz

Hello David,

Thank you for the warm welcome. I'm new here and very new to website creation...I'm hoping that with some assistance I can accomplish a few goals we have for our current site.

As far as BuddyPress goes where do you suggest that I start? If the Tasty Kitchen is fully customized I'm guessing there is not a similar theme out there to get me in the ball park.The theme doesn't have to mirror this particular theme but I would like to have some of the easy to use features. Do you think it's possible or something that we would have to hire someone to do?

Our site is an online publication. The directory of stores we want to add is an added feature for people to look up local stores in their area. I was hoping to create a directory that is really nice looking, easy to use and informative. I will check out the Google maps plugin as well. Is there a specific line of directory plugins that I should take a look at? http://www.leafly.com/medical-marijuana site has a fantastic directory. Will your Google plugin do this? Also if you click on one of the locations below it will take you to a tab format with information on the location. We really like this layout...is there something similar that you offer? The tab feature is easy to use and very organized.

Thank you for your time,

Kelley

• DavidM

Hi Kelley,

Sorry I missed catching up with ya on your latest response! There are actually a number of themes that can help get you in a similar ballpark here, all listed in our BuddyPress Themes section.

Personally, I think the Daily Theme is possibly the closest approximation and a good starting point.

Colors and fonts can be rather easily customized and we can go through that with you in specific threads if you have questions on it.

Our Google Maps plugin wouldn't provide the tab-based pages on that site you mentioned, but it definitely can handle the hard part of provided a networked map of all the stores on your network. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the only plugin that does that currently, as it's specifically capable of listing posts from across your network as markers on one networked map.

And of course, those posts can be related to the stores on your network. We can likewise go through that with you in more detail with a specific thread, as there's a lot to discuss there.

As for the directory itself, I'd have to say that given your description, it actually sounds like the best way to accomplish that would be to create a custom post type, perhaps called "Directory Listing", using our CustomPress plugin, and then customizing the site's theme to make good use of that post type.

There would be some degree of customization involved, at the code level, so a developer would definitely be recommended for this. And of course, you can check out the job board and developer listing to get assistance with that.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-jobs/

Hope that helps a bit!

-David

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.