Need Help... Desperately? Does anyone here do work for people?

I need help moving content around. I'm redoing my site on a domain that's password protected (I call it my development domain). When I've completed it, I plan to move it all onto my actual domain.

I'm about 1/4 done and I was told that I probably should have set it up as a subfolder or subdomain. I was also told that I "MUST root all urls though otherwise you will need to rewrite everything when you transfer it back."
(I mean when adding links and images ensure the urls are href="/wp-content......."> not target="_blank" href="http://www.workdomain.com/wp-content...">

Obviously, I'm doing it wrong. Like seriously - Who would ever know that?

Anyways. I need help figuring this out. It's driving me crazy and I'm super stressed out and want to swear. I just don't want to do anything else that's wrong because this is such a complete waste of time and more expensive fixing in the long run.

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

(I mean when adding links and images ensure the urls are href="/wp-content......."> not target="_blank" href="http://www.workdomain.com/wp-content...">:wink:

that's just a matter of using what we call relative urls instead of full urls.

when you use relative url, the base domain is added to the beginning for you when the page is processed.

it isn't necessarily a major job changing these afterwards though, there's a few things you can do via phpmyadmin using a mysql command that you can use to search & replace in the DB Tables themselves rather than individually.

and of course don't forget to redo the permalinks once you've moved.

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

Quite unnecessary though. Another user just introduced me to this beauty yesterday and I think I'm in love: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-migrate-db/. That fixes your DB right up.

There are also several site-cloning plugins that will make it almost a one-click process to migrate your site from staging to live.

I can give you dozens of tips on how to work from Localhost as though it's the live site but it's a bunch of super-technical hosts file stuff that you really don't want to get into.

Check out stuff like xCloner, managewp, and wp migrate db. You'll find your solution.

• annasusmiles
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Thanks@Vaughn! How do you make links relative automatically?

And thank you to you too @Imperative Ideas!That wordpress plugin is incredible. But, the quote is equally impressive. It perfectly describes my feelings about wordpress yesterday... and the emotions pretty much went it that order. I was angry with wordpress and then I suffered because of it! :slight_smile:

And @Timothy Bowers THANK YOU as well. That's an amazing resource!

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

Anna - WordPress doesn't make links relative by default, that's just the problem. That's because WP links are all dynamic. If it's going to post a page, on the back-end, WordPress check through the template hierarchy for the right layout then assigns the post ID out of the database for processing.

So a single blog post would look for the "single.php" file, append the post ID number after a "?" and use the data from MySQL to do the rest. a PHP tag like $the_content() would pull whatever is in the content field for that ID.

Pretty permalinks that build posts by name are really just shortcuts to that structure.

Because of this, WordPress puts everything in the DB using the full path. As a result, when you change servers, every image, post, and page link is still pointed at the old domain.

Thus... plugins to help migrate sites.

• DrTOK
    • Flash Drive

Hi!

There are some great resources suggested by some of our respected friends already above.

However, sometimes it would be less work and stress to outsource migration for say $50-60 to save the stress and worries.

I migrated a few sites last year and my time was the major payment I made, until I outsourced the jobs, In no way am I doubting your abilities and that of our esteemed admins and senior members here, but sometimes it is worth letting someone with the right skills set save you the time whilst you do more valuable things.

Merely my humble suggestions.

Kind regards,

• Imperative Ideas
    • HummingBird

@DrTOK - depends on how often one has to migrate their work. Those numbers add up. If I spend 3 hours learning a migration process that really works for me, that's going to be the cost of 2-4 migrations, depending on my hourly wage.

Going forward, it's all profit after that.

I guess what I'm saying is this: If you are at WPMUdev as business client in search of resources, paying someone to do a migration makes a lot of sense. If you are a freelancer with visions of doing 50+ projects a year, then learning to do a reliable migration on your own is a sensible investment.

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

It might seem rather daunting at first and I probably wouldn't recommend it for some new to WordPress, databases and such because if something does go wrong and you lack experience you might struggle to fix it, the work is then often lost. Backups are usually a hindsight.

In reality it's not that hard to do.

If a few dollars saves you a whole bunch of stress, your time and gets it done quickly for you then it's probably the best option.

Cheers.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.