Need Help. Feel Lost at times here, but somewhere do feel I am at the right place though....

1. I wanna have a website where I want to provide education - tutorials - and also allow other teachers to register with me and they are able to conduct their own courses. (contents should be provided in a drip format at some place and might just all be available at some places).

2. I personally want to provide education on computer languages and related. I want to have something like - provide or be a project guide for students on different projects they register for. Here there could be a group of students doing a same project and I act as a guide solving their small issues.

3. Conducting tests and quiz has to be integral part - something like passing in a test only qualifies them for the contents further.

4. Few projects which are already down under guidance, should be available as downloadables - with free and pay per download options.

Now the biggest of all the problems is:

5. Payment method - manual (COD, Cheque, bank transfer, cash) is required along with some existing payment mode preferably paypal.

6. Where do I stand having this membership: do I have all I need to accomplish this with the plugins we have.

I do feel lost, but you guys can help me.

Take time (doesn't mean I have plenty of time) and do answer this.

Thanks in advance

regards

Pawan Arora

• Imperative Ideas

Man, from the title I was almost expecting a depressed post-valentines day post :slight_smile:

Most of the educational world works with Moodle, so that's your gold standard. It's a tarnished sort of gold though. Personally, I can't stand Moodle.

If you wanted to do this through WordPress you could use custom post types in conjunction with the membership plugin for payments and the Organize Series plugin to tie sections into chapters or full lessons.

If you don't know theme building like the back of your hand though, you may run into some issues getting it all to look professional.

The CustomPress plugin here at WPMUDev could be useful. I typically code my post types and meta boxes into the theme but the GUI tool here is actually what got me to sign up for the site the first time around before I fully understood what I could do with version 3.0.

The tools are all at your fingertips, even if you aren't a ninja developer. Tying them together effectively is always the hard part.

• aristath

Hello Pawan,
    You sure want to do a lot of things! Let's take them one by one...

1. I wanna have a website where I want to provide education - tutorials - and also allow other teachers to register with me and they are able to conduct their own courses. (contents should be provided in a drip format at some place and might just all be available at some places).

You can create a WordPress-multisite installation and install MarketPress. Using multisite every teacher will be able to upload their own lessons and get paid when a sale is done.

2. I personally want to provide education on computer languages and related. I want to have something like - provide or be a project guide for students on different projects they register for. Here there could be a group of students doing a same project and I act as a guide solving their small issues.

Hmmm.... There are many ways to accomplish this... so I'll just mention the first 2 that I can think of:
    1. Use BuddyPress. Each project can be a group where all students involved in this project are members. They can discuss all about it and you can offer your guidance.
    2. You can use the Support System plugin. This will be a one-on-one solution where you can offer advice to a member asking for your help.

3. Conducting tests and quiz has to be integral part - something like passing in a test only qualifies them for the contents further.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean there.... could you provide some more details?

4. Few projects which are already down under guidance, should be available as downloadables - with free and pay per download options.

You can do that using MarketPress as mentioned in question #1.

5. Payment method - manual (COD, Cheque, bank transfer, cash) is required along with some existing payment mode preferably paypal.

The payment methods you mention are -almost- manual.
    You can easily create them by copying, renaming and customizing a bit the the manual-payments.php file included in MarketPress. (Don't worry, it's pretty simple!)

No need to feel confused, we're here to help you figure it all out. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Aristeides.

• Pawan Arora

Thanks Imperative Ideas, aristath

@ Imperative Ideas, thanks a lot dear - and yes feeling lil down as it has been long with this membership and I am as confused as I was while signing this membership. Every answer leaves me more stunned and lost. But one thing for sure I have a complete trust with you people.

I really can't stand moodle - and the reason probably is I am with wordpress now for quite some time, and moodle I have not worked that much.

@aristath : thanks a lot dear for a detailed answer.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean there.... could you provide some more details?

Well kind of dripped content but requires you to clear some test before you qualify for the next level of content., that is what I meant.

1. By what you describes - means I do not need a membership plugin. only marketpress could do?

2. When I went through this plugin I found or had impression that it suits only physical products - or does it works well with digital contents as well?

3. How to go about initially - I need to have all this on main site (with buddypress installed) or can I do it on a subsite as well. (Actually I was planning different site for education and different for projects)..what you suggest because buddypress works on main site only (I guess..)

No need to feel confused, we're here to help you figure it all out. :slight_smile:

This makes me fueled up, charged and ready to shoot. ha ha...seriously.

Thanks a lot for this.

• aristath

2. When I went through this plugin I found or had impression that it suits only physical products - or does it works well with digital contents as well?

You can use it on digital products as well!

3. How to go about initially - I need to have all this on main site (with buddypress installed) or can I do it on a subsite as well.

You can do it however you want.... I find that having a central site is usually the best way to go.

Well kind of dripped content but requires you to clear some test before you qualify for the next level of content., that is what I meant.

I've never seen this setup before... so I currently have no idea how this can be accomplished, I'll need to do some brainstorming. :slight_smile:
    Perhaps someone else has tried to do it before or has some ideas about it...

You can use both Membership and MarketPress.
    You can use Membership for your premium content, and MarketPress to sell digital products and allow other teachers to sell their products too. Without MarketPress other teachers won't be able to sell their products, as it will all be available for premium members.

• Pawan Arora

Hi thanks @ROIBOT

Thanks for being there.

See I am not new to coding, but with wordpress coding I am new I would say. Even not with PHP, MySQL etc...I am fine with. Issue is time, I invested in this membership to save on time. If I will indulge I know I will sure land up somewhere at least, but that would be like when I feel and find you people are not helpful.

Second I have already invested in this membership (elite) which is a clear message from my side I trust you people and also count on you all but certainly it should not lead to investing more to get it done by someone, that would be gross.

1. So you people can also assist me or rather advise me with what minimum setup I should have to at least I am able to showcase my services and i am able to make some money out of it.

2. Along with this, help me with carrying out with some developments and coding that I can do at my end with the help of you people.

3. All I want is to sum up what I do, people are able to access it only when they pay - even if they are interested to pay it manually I should be able to handle it, record it and have account of it and my customers have a good experience may be I have to do few thing myself to start with, but by the time customer base grows I should find time to make it automated. I won;t mind spending moment I start earning through the same.

What you say?

• aristath

OK, now I'm closer to understanding what you want to accomplish.

You probably won't need MarketPress, Membership can take care of most of the stuff you described in your previous post.

The only thing that you'll have to manually code is the manual payment gateways (which is pretty simple if you look at the example files).

In fact you can set it up pretty easily if you follow the instructions inscluded in the plugin when you enable it. :slight_smile:
    The only thing you have to figure out is the structure you want your site to have.

I suggest you start by setting it up and exploring it for a couple of hours to fully understand what you can do with it. Once you do you'll have a better understanding of what you want and can't accomplish with it and we'll start figuring it out there.

• Fullworks

@Pawan Arora for the custom work then 'codex' is your friend in google.

Get your head around actions & filters see http://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Filter_Reference to start with, this gives you powerful customisation without hacking code

Like you I have invested heavily in WPMUDEV to build my business (I'm not WPMUDEV staff, just a community member)

I'm personally not familiar (yet) with membership as none of my sites use that in production, but it sounds like the main plugin for you.

• Pawan Arora

@aristath

Thanks buddy

1. but what makes you say I don't need marketpress? I mean you earlier said other teacher's won't be able to showcase and sell their courses without marketpress?

The only thing that you'll have to manually code is the manual payment gateways (which is pretty simple if you look at the example files).

Which help files your are talking about?

3. I have a strong feeling that making a manual payment gateway - might leave me with a situation where most of the things after that have to be done manually ? What I want is that - I add a member manually, pass on the required info to the system and there after it takes care of few things like sending reminders when next payment is due, blocking user from using features after membership period has elapsed, etc...

• aristath

What I want is that - I add a member manually, pass on the required info to the system and there after it takes care of few things like sending reminders when next payment is due, blocking user from using features after membership period has elapsed, etc...

Membership takes care of all that, no need to worry about it.

I think I got confused again about your business plan.

If you want to have members able to see your premium content, download your files etc. then you need the Membership plugin.
    If you want to sell your digital products and other teachers to sell their digital products as well then you need MarketPress.

But you can't ask someone to pay in order to become a member and then ask them to pay again in order to buy some digital products. I mean you can, but I can't see how this will work as a business plan.
    You can however use Membership to setup multiple levels and depending on the user's level (how much they pay to become a member) the appropriate areas of the site get locked or unlocked.

The way MarketPress works is this:
    Each teacher sets up their own "site" (using the multi-site feature of WordPress). Then they upload their products and when a sale is done they get paid. You can have all products from all sites displayed in the main site (your site) but each site-store is an individual entity! So when the user clicks on a product on your site, they are tranferred to the teacher's site to make the purchase.
    To sum it up, using MarketPress you can have a "network" of stores.

Does that make it any more clear?

• Pawan Arora

@aristath

Thanks a ton, for sticking on with me and making me comfortable.

One more thing i want to make clear is : marketpress takes care of digital products (as you said) - here do you mean only digital stuff that can be downloaded or the one that can be viewed only/as well. Because projects which are readymade kind of would be - downloadable and learning material i.e lessons would be for viewing purpose and may/may not be allowed to download them. will marketpress take care of this?

one more thingie...to me if marketpress can do all this - there is no difference between membership and marketpress......? forgive me If you find this stupid.

and yes.....do tell me which example files you mentioned I should go through to have manual payment gateway working for "membership" plugin and also "marketpres" plugin.

but thanks for everything ....from my heart dear.

• Pawan Arora

@aristath

Hi I went through the code : membership -> gateways

1. I couldn't get much out of it....and its not code (i mean PHP etc) but logics...looks like I need to know some stuff before I indulge in this. Here probably I need advise on how to start with...

2. From my side, to start with I also explored marketpress - > gateways -> manual payment mode. ALl it seemed to me was that I was missing the wrodpress part, how it communicates with wordpress...you know..probably I need help there

3. Can this manual payment gateway (marketpress) can be used for membership plugin - might require less changes, or no changes at all....(doesn't look like it will be that simple).

regards

Pawan Arora

• Pawan Arora

@Imperative Ideas
    Hello dear

If you wanted to do this through WordPress you could use custom post types in conjunction with the membership plugin for payments and the Organize Series plugin to tie sections into chapters or full lessons.

1. I tried this. What I could make out...series is similar to categories. Probably I missed something, I would like to know what more I get from series as compared to categories?

2. Second I didn't find a way bind series with membership plugin...I can't create any rules around series..with membership plugin. kindly guide me how to do that?

regards

Arora

• aristath

Hello Pawan,

I created a gist of the gateway.freesubscriptions.php file included in the Membership plugin. You can see it at https://gist.github.com/aristath/4966330

On lines 11-12, you can change its name and title, so if you want to name it COD then those lines would be

var $gateway = 'cod';
    var $title = 'COD';

Next, on line 15 you can change the default message

You'll have to also change the function name on line 17 and pretty much do a search and replace... wherever there's the word "free", change it to something of your choise.

This way you'll create a new payment gateway and from then on you only have to change the messages that are displayed to the user.
    Since this will be a "manual" payment gateway, there's no need to connect to any payment gateways like paypal etc, so it's simpler.

• Pawan Arora

@aristath

hi

Ok...so you mean to say:

I created a gist of the gateway.freesubscriptions.php file included in the Membership plugin.

So you feel it is easy to manipulate freesubscriptions.php instead.? What I need to do to make sure it is not free since this gateway is for freesubscriptions i guess.

how to provide instructions about making the payment - and then enabling the account, do I have to do it manually once the payment is realised?

thanks a ton.

Arora

• Pawan Arora

@aristath

hi dear

got the whole idea...sir

the whole idea is to start from somewhere....so I will have to spend some time. I will do that as well, if no other option.

Can I ask for one more favor?

Just if you can go through (you must already have though...lol) - marketpress manual payment system. Is there anything that can be inherited from there?

some idea....since you are more experienced...and by that time I will certainly explore as per your advise - free gateway, and of course I am counting on you for help If I get stuck up somewhere.

Thanks for your support.

Pawan Arora

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.