Need help in setting up Domain Mapping

I have a multisite setup and am using Domain Mapping to map 2 domains and need help with it.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Kory,

To use Domain Mapping and A Record for point domain to WordPress Multisite installation so it can be mapped, you need to have Static IP. Also that IP needs to open the main site of your Multisite installation.
    I checked IP of your site and it is not opening your WordPress main site - so it can't be used with A record.

In cases like that solution is to add domains you want to map as Add-on domains and when doing that point them to the root directory of your WordPress installation.
    After that domain will be pointed on the installation and from there Domain Mapping will handle mapping those to according subsites.

Let me know if you have more questions

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kory Alden
    • New Recruit

I have a static IP address, however I'm not sure why it isnt' opening the multisite, because it was a One Click from Digital Ocean.

Is there an SSH command I can use to handle this? It wouldnt make sense that I have to get a unique IP address for every site we build on multisite; there has to be a slight configuration problem with Multisite and WPMUDEV to get this right.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Kory,

No, you don't need IP for every subsite of your network. You need only one static IP that will open the main site of your Multisite.

Before you can map domain in Domain Mapping you need to point that domain to your WordPress install. When a domain is correctly pointed (so domain you want to map will open main site of Multisiste) then Domain Mapping will "catch" and handle mapping.
    If domain is not pointing into right place then Domain Mapping can't do anything with that. That will be the same rule for Native WordPress mapping mechanism.

If you are sure that your IP should be opening your WordPress multsite I suggest contacting with your hosting provider so they can fix that for you. If it will start working your mapped domains will also do.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Kory,

I just realized that I could misunderstand your statement here:

It wouldnt make sense that I have to get a unique IP address for every site we build on multisite;

You need only one IP for your one Multisite. If you are thinking about having more than one WordPress Multisite installations and you want to map domains on all those installs then one static IP and using A record will not work.
    In the case of multiple WordPress installs on the same server with one IP you will need to use another method - like Add-ons domains.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kory Alden
    • New Recruit

Hi Kasia,

The problem we are facing is that the subdomains are not converting to SSL still. And from what I researched, the original IP address needs to load up correctly and it isn't working.

I need to get this resolved as soon as possible. I thought the domain mapping was going to be an easy one click and we're already several weeks in and this still isn't being resolved.

Please help me get this working properly.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Kory,

Domain Mapping works only in the area of WordPress - if the domain is not reaching to WordPress, Domain Mapping can't do anything about it.
    Have you changed the method of pointing your domains to WordPress Multisite from A Record to add-on domain?

The problem we are facing is that the subdomains are not converting to SSL still.

SSL certificate you have is not Wildcard SSL, so it will not cover subdomains - it only covers your main domain. You need to have Wildcard SSL certificate so it will be also working for all subdomains automatically.
    Domain Mapping doesn't handle certificates.

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.