Need help increasing the Performance of the site.

Please help to improve the Performance of my website. My current page Speed Score is still 45/100.

• Adam Czajczyk
    • Support Gorilla

Hi Ivan Ramirez

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

I checked the site and the configuration itself looks quite good. I do suppose that the test might not be quite reliable though: I checked the site with PageSpeed Insights and it was very inconsistent - sometimes it was showing some score for mobile and desktop, sometime only for one of them and sometimes none at all, with an error message (but without any explanation, just a question mark and a red "Error" label).

Performance Test in Hummingbird is based on PageSpeed API so if that fails it might also give wrong results (or return cached data, which - again - might be wrong if changes were made).

GTMetrix returns much better score and doesn't "complain" that much about site aspects.

However, I would suggest trying one thing:

1. In Theme Options disable "Lazy Load" as you already got it enabled in Smush Pro
    2. Also in Theme Options disable options to remove query strings and to remove emoji (they are enabled in Hummingbird)
    3. In Hummingbird in Page Cache actually disable option to cache query strings
    4. In Smuch Pro use "Directory smushing" to optimize images from outside of media library - in theme folder and in plugins folders mostly
    5. (optional) consider if you actually do need a pre-loader; apart from a "visual effect" those usually don['t really carry much value to the end-user and definitely not to performance - but they do add unnecessary scripts
    6. Plugins such as WP Importer or Velvet Update URLs - those can be kept disabled until they are actually needed (usually an active plugin adds resources to the site so it's important to keep only necessary and used ones active).
    7. In Slider Revolution settings you can specify on which pages to load Slider Revolution JQuery scripts and disable loading them globally - if you're not using sliders on each and every page and post, try doing that to minimize Slider Revolution impact on site performance (it is big, it's quite a resource-intensive plugin).

Now, before going for next steps, please take a full screenshot of current Asset Optimization settings, just for reference.

8. Go to Theme Options and there's a button to clear Theme Cache
    9. Clear and disable (temporarily) Hummingbird's "Page Cache"
    9. Go to Hosting panel in The Hub and Flush Cache there (you'll flush server's object cache)
    10. On "Hummingbird -> Asset Optimization" page first use "clear cache" button and then "Re-check files".

This should re-detect all the resources. They should already be configured after that but if not, use the reference screenshot to set that up again. Publish changes and actually Flush Cache in Hosting settings again.

After that make sure that site's running fine (if not, tweak Asset Optimization until it does) and then enable Page Cache in Hummingbird again. After that use e.g. this service to "crawl" the site (you don't have to download the sitemap, it's irrelevant, all we need is to crawl the site to build-up cache):

https://tools.seochat.com/tools/online-crawl-google-sitemap-generator/

Once that's done, check with Performance Test/PageSpeed Insights and GTMetrix and let's see what the score/reported issues will be then.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Ivan,

Apologies for the long delay here, we're short on staff for last couple of days and we're trying our best to get everything back to normal now.

Render Blocking is something that is configured by Asset Optimization option in Hummingbird and it's something that is unique for each site because it highly depends on the theme and plugins used on your site.

Some of the plugin or theme files don't handle optimization properly and can cause the site to misbehave due to the way they are coded.

Finding out if there are such files is very time consuming but it will help with optimizing your site further once configured properly.

My suggestion when using Asset Optimization is to enable optimization in bulk of 10 files at once, and after every 10 files check your site frontend.
    If everything is working fine then you can proceed with the next 10 files.
    If you do, however, encounter some issues then go back to Asset Optimization and disable the optimization in last 10 files until you find which one is causing the issue, and then leave that file unoptimized and continue with optimizing rest of them.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.