Need help optimizing pagespeed

Having had too many issues with the functionality of WP MUDEV plugins on my website (Defender Pro, Smush Pro, Hummingbird), which - as I was told more than a few times - were caused by my hosting server, I decided to migrate the website to WP MUDEV Hosting.

However, now after migration, website pagespeed score is by some 30 points lower than when the website was on the old host.

When CDN is enabled in Smush Pro, I have two issues:
1. Featured images are not loading on Blog page and other archive pages.
2. Main product image is not loading on the product page.
There is an open ticket on this and I am hoping for a solution.

But aside from this, the performance score is by far the lowest I've had so far. Having worked for a whole month on this, to start at 82/100 and come to 38/100, I am past being frustrated.

Please help!!!

Thanks,
Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello Dubie,
    how are you doing today?

I'm really sorry to hear that you're having issues with PageSpeed score.

I did a quick Google Pagespeed Insights test and this is the results I got :

The main issue as you can see is Render-Blocking resources. This might also affect the TTFB is increased.
    EliminatingRender-Blocking resources might also help to decrease the TTFB and increase the overall score.

Please take a FULL BACKUP before making any of the suggested changes.

Let's tackle one by one to increase your score
    1. Eliminate render-blocking resources & Remove unused CSS
    Hummingbird Pro has a feature by which you can solve this issue.

Please visit WP-admin dashboard > Hummingbird Pro > Asset Optimization > Switch to advance mode for more control > Got it.

Over here all the JS and CSS files are listed, you can combine, minify or moving them to footer.
    The best practice is to load as many scripts as possible in the footer of your site, so slow-loading scripts won’t prevent vital parts of your site from loading quickly.
    However, it is important to remember that it's not always possible to eliminate all the files as it might break your site, the ultimate goal is to lower the number of files.

We do have a detailed guide on how to eliminate render blocking resources.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/eliminate-render-blocking-issues-hummingbird/

Note this is a trial and error process, sometimes shifting or combining few important files might break the site. So it is advisable to first perform it in a staging environment or take a backup before making any changes.

I can also see the Jetpack is activated in your dashboard, even though you have not enabled it from its settings it still might create a conflict with Hummingbird Pro.
    All plugins which are not in use should be deactivated and deleted. It increases the speed of the website and overall Google PageSpeed Insights score

Once done. Clear all your cache and recheck the score :slight_smile:

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask more questions if you have any.

Kind regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Neel Gajjar

Hello Dubie,

Sorry, I forgot to mention one thing regarding this :

When CDN is enabled in Smush Pro, I have two issues:
    1. Featured images are not loading on Blog page and other archive pages.
    2. Main product image is not loading on the product page.
    There is an open ticket on this and I am hoping for a solution.

One of the support agents is working on it, and you will receive the reply soon.

Kind regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Dubie

Neel,

Thanks for your reply, but I am familiar with Hummingbird Advanced Asset Optimisation - I've WASTED all past month going back and forth, and when I finally think I got it, the next day my website is screwed up all the way. I lost more than one month on other websites and in the end Jetpack always wins because with Hummingbird I don't see the changes I make in real time, not even after emptying cache and refreshing browser, and all I do is go around in circles and in the dark.

So, as I explained above, my issue is how to get back to my 83/100 page speed that I had before starting to optimise with Hummingbird.

Yesterday, after activating Hummingbird CDN, my pagespeed score at google dropped by 10 points on mobile and 5 points on web. How does that make any sense???

Please, I need someone TO REALLY HELP ME, not just send me a link to an article I reread a million of times and tell me to "play with it".

Thanks,
    Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello Dubie,

I'm really sorry. I will definitely help you out. I would like to some troubleshooting on your website which may require to disable plugins, switch themes, etc to find the actual cause of why the score is not improving.

It is always recommended to do such type of troubleshooting on a staging site.
    As you mentioned you shifted to our hosting I will provide you a detailed guide on how to make a staging website.
    Please follow these steps
    Visit the below link:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/hub/hosting/

Click on Manage

Click on Staging

Click on Start > It might take a while for creation.

Once completed, it will display a staging dashboard.
    It will display the staging website URL and ID Password for the accessing staging site.
    Note this credential is not the same as your WP-Admin password.

For more information regarding staging please visit the below link :
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/hosting/tools-features/#staging

Please send us your WordPress admin credentials via this contact form.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question
    using this template:

Subject: "Attn: NEEL GAJJAR"
    - WordPress admin (login URL/username/password)
    - link back to this thread for reference (e.g.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/example-topic)
    - any other relevant urls

Keep in mind the subject line as ensures that it gets assigned to me.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Neel Gajjar

Hello,
    how are you doing today?

Thank you for sharing the credentials for the staging website.
    While making changes such as inline CSS, move files to footer often breaks the frontend of the website. I will help you in each and every way to improve the score by making changes under Asset Optimization without breaking the front-end of the site.
    It might take a while to completely optimize the site and increase the score.

I have made some changes in the staging website under Hummingbird > Asset Optimization.
    Before doing the above changes please deactivate jetpack plugin.

Could replicate those settings in your live website and check whether the score is increased or not.

As the staging website is password protected Performance Test doesn't work under the staging site.

Please do the exact same changes in the live website and check the score. If everything goes well then I will some more changes in the staging site and update you were here and then you can replicate those under live site.

Hope this helps.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Kind Regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Dubie

Hi Neel!

The reason I use Jetpack is because it integrates Wordpress functionality in several ways:

1. It displays featured images in related posts:

2. It gives the visitors option to login via social to comment AND displays their Gravatar image:

3. It lets me display facebook and twitter widgets in sidebar:

The above mentioned features are important for me. Can I still use Jetpack for them? All the other extensions in Jetpack are turned off. I am assuming that if I don't use other Jetpack extensions for performance or image optimisation, there won't be any plugin conflicts with WP MUDEV plugins.

I've looked at the staging site now after you made changes in Asset Optimisation.

1. SEARCH ICON IN SIDEBAR
    The first thing I checked was the search icon in blog sidebar since that was one issue that I could never seem to fix, and also one issue that seems to have a delay in displaying correctly on the front end, so too many times I thought I'd fixed it, but I was wrong:

2. ANIMATED GIF ON PRODUCT PAGE
    For some reason the animation doesn't show on product page: https://astrobracelet.staging.wpmudev.host/product/personal-horoscope-bracelet/

Other than that I did not notice any issues.

Looking forward to your reply in regards to jetpack.

Kind Regards,
    Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello,

Please take a FULL BACKUP of Live Site, and make the changes in your live site's Asset Optimization same as the changes made in the Staging site and check the score again.

ANIMATED GIF ON PRODUCT PAGE
    For some reason the animation doesn't show on product page: https://astrobracelet.staging.wpmudev.host/product/personal-horoscope-bracelet/

I did check for the same image on your live website Animation doesn't work over there also. Its a gif image Asset Optimization doesn't have to do anything with it.
    Please check once.

Regarding Jetpack, I'm not sure if all the overlapping features are disabled then it might not create conflict. You need to keep checking them for any conflict. If it works after optimization then all good. You can keep it activated.

Kind Regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Dubie

Hi Neel,

The animated gif image doesn't work on the live website because on the last optimisation I could not get it to show, so I gave up. But I assume it is related to asset optimisation as I had been able to get it to work before, I just don't know how. It is the same image that is used on this page, and there it loads just fine: https://astrobracelet.com/what-is-astro-bracelet/

But if after optimisation there is some plugin conflict with Jetpack, will WP MUDEV developers be able to fix it? Or can you recommend alternative solutions for the features I need which Jetpack provides?

Thanks and Regards,
    Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello,

Please check the product page at the staging website again. I have manually replaced the gif image.
    It seems like resize which you did was causing the issue.

I manually resized it into 600 X 600 and then uploaded it, It is now working fine.

Try and replace the image in your live site with the attached gif image.
    It should work.

But if after optimisation there is some plugin conflict with Jetpack, will WP MUDEV developers be able to fix it? Or can you recommend alternative solutions for the features I need which Jetpack provides?

For now, it is working fine. After optimization let us what we can do for it.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Dubie

Thanks, Neel. The image resizing worked for the animated gif.

Since I am past my deadline to handover the website to development team who is in charge of testing Woocommerce integrations, I have given them access to the staging site as well. We agreed that it would be wiser to make all modifications on staging website and then when it is ready, push it to live.

Does that sound ok with you?

Kind Regards,
    Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello,

The image resizing worked for the animated gif.

Glad it worked out.

Since I am past my deadline to handover the website to development team who is in charge of testing Woocommerce integrations, I have given them access to the staging site as well. We agreed that it would be wiser to make all modifications on staging website and then when it is ready, push it to live.

If any major changes are made under the staging site. We might have to configure Asset Optimization again if there any site breakage issue.
    So its better once site is ready with proper home page layout and adding, updating the plugins is done. We should do Asset Optimization, as we don't want any site breakage to happen.

What do you suggest?

Kind Regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Dubie

Hi Neel,

I've had some miscommunication with Nithin in regards to CDN issues, and he had reset the staging website and pushed it to live. Please see: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/product-image-doesnt-show-up-when-smush-cdn-is-turned-on?replies=15#post-1398050

The staging website is now different from live website. There are quite a few issues, and I'd like to push the live website to staging. If I "reset" staging website, will it look the same as the live one?

I am a bit confused since Nithin said he did that, but the versions are different.

Could you help me with this please?

Many thanks,
    Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello,
    how are you doing today?

Sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

The staging website is now different from live website. There are quite a few issues, and I'd like to push the live website to staging. If I "reset" staging website, will it look the same as the live one?

After the reset, any changes made in the live site doesn't get copied to the staging site.
    If you think they are different you can always pull a new copy from Live site by clicking on reset.

Hope this helps,

Kind regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Dubie

Hello Neel,

I hope you are doing well.

Before we proceed with asset optimization, I'd like to solve one pretty urgent issue with the images not loading on the RSS Feed.

Right now the feed is set via feedburner at http://feeds.feedburner.com/astrobracelet
    As you can see, the images are not showing. I found this support post related to the issue: https://support.google.com/feedburner/answer/79018?hl=en

I checked the feed's XML Source:

I couldn't find any absolute links, so I assume that's the problem. However, I have no idea how to fix it.

I am using feedburner on all my blogs, and all have images served via CDN enabled, but that's never caused any problems before, so not sure if that's related.

Can you help please?

Thanks and Regards,
    Dubie

• Neel Gajjar

Hello Dubie,
    how are you doing today?

Are you using any of the plugins for the RSS Feed?
    Please try using this plugin once
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/featured-images-for-rss-feeds/

If that doesn't work try switching to a default theme like twentyseventeen.
    And check once.
    Please take a Full Backup before switching the themes.

Support access is expired I think. Could you please grant temporary support access again?
    So that I can investigate the issue.

Please do reply back here when access is granted because we don't get any notifications about
    it.

Kind regards,
    Neel Gajjar

• Neel Gajjar

Hello Dubie,

Sorry for the delayed response.

I went ahead and changed this setting and now images are getting displayed on your feed.
    Wp-Admin > Settings > Reading > For each article in a feed, show > Full Text.

Please check on your end once.

I'd rather not add any more plugins if I don't have to. There are already more than 40 active ones.

I would advise removing all the unnecessary plugins if there are any which will improve the overall performance of your site. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
    Neel Gajjar

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.