Need Help Please

I just need to know how to set this up.

I am creating member sites for my clients. The person who will pay for using the wordpress dashboard, admin etc. is my main client, but their site has a buddypress social network which their own members will be able to sign up (for free) and be part of.

So would I just create a "free" level of access that only includes BuddyPress rights as well as a "pro" level access that gives rights to dashboard as well?

Please help. Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya coreymj78,

I'll need a little bit more information to help ya think through this one. Are you creating multiple sub-sites on the account? You mentioned member sites, but I'm not sure what you're referring to in that.

If you are charging for the ability to create sites, then Pro Sites is your answer. If you're charging for access to content (admin or front end) then Membership may be the better solution.

If you explain it further I'm happy to provide better guidance for ya though.

Thanks!

• coreymj78
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Not sure how much more I can explain it.

1. No, every member site will have its own network. No sub sites.

2. I already know that Membership is the answer. I'm not asking that question. Let's stick to the questions being asked.

3. The question I am asking is this: Since there are 2 types of members accessing the site, what type of subscriptions do I need? Here are the 2 types of users:

A. The client who will sign-up / pay to use the WP Dashboard / Admin area, plus everything else.
    B. The client's members who can sign-up for free to use the BuddyPress social network on the site.

4. To sum up... how would I set up Membership to accomplish this?

I don't know how to be more clear about what I want.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings coreymj78 :slight_smile:

sir Mason is right - I envision sir that you should be using Pro-Sites on one side for control of the:
    A. The client who will sign-up / pay to use the WP Dashboard / Admin area, plus everything else.

and membership plugin with a free membership to access:
    B. The client's members who can sign-up for free to use the BuddyPress social network on the site.

see sir you are trying to combine in what appears not to be complex action with what internally to WordPress is very complex.

The Membership Plugin was not designed to control the elements you propose in A. but absolutely for what you propose in B.

and vice versa for Pro Sites which is absolutely made for what you propose in A. but not B,

In summary sir - two sites with membership controlling Buddy Press and Prosites controlling your subsites and access to WP Dashboard.

The best way to configure this IMHO is to have the Pro sites on your main WP install and run the Buddy Press with membership plugin on a sub site of the main install.

Joe :slight_smile:

• coreymj78
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Why would I need Pro Sites, when Membership already allows you to create the Access Levels required to accomplish both A. and B.? Member ship allows you to create a paid access level as well as free... plus, it allows you (with the buddypress and admin rules add-ons) to restrict / allow access to buddypress features as well as admin / dashboard features. This is why I have already decided to go with only Membership since it has what I need. I already have it set up for the paid members and tested it in sandbox mode for paypal and it works fine for the paid members.

Also, I am not allowing them to create sub blog sites, they only are receiving one site with a buddypress network on it. No members (paid or free) will be creating sub blog sites. I am also not restricting / allowing access to specific plugins or plugin sets either. So no reason for Pro Sites at all. I've established that.

My only questions was whether or not I should set up a free subscription option for the client's members who will only be accessing the buddypress social network area. That's all.

I see that i'll just have to try it myself.

Thanks.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings coreymj78 :slight_smile:

Why would I need Pro Sites, when Membership already allows you to create the Access Levels required to accomplish both A. and B.?

sir it is because your are trying to manage two completely different operations with the same plugin one or the other makes sense but for it to discern between both remotely related functions just makes it complicated as you have indicated by virtue of your questions.

The reason why I recommended Pro Sites is it is specifically designed to manage what you want to do in step A

and the same reason sir for the Membership Plugin - it is specifically designed to do the job of step B

Trying to make one or the other do a job they were not designed for seems self defeating sir :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya coreymj78,

As we haven't heard back from you we're going to assume the problem was sorted out and mark this ticket as resolved.

If it wasn't resolved, or you have any more questions related to this thread please feel free to post them below and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, thanks for using the forums, and for being a member of WPMU DEV, it's a pleasure to help you out and we look forward to being of assistance in the future.

Thanks

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.