Need Help setting up Membership

I've set up membership completely, (and have all other plugins disabled).
I used the wizard to create a visitor level, and Level 1 access.
I also setup a subscription that should give 30 days free, then move to level 1 access, for a monthly fee.

Here are my issues:
1. When a user registers, it doesn't require them to pay.
2. When the user activates the account, Wordpress sends them an email with their username and a link to the /wp-login.php page. I only want them to use the login on the homepage. I can't change the message it sends.
3. It is creating the user accounts in the Network Admin members area, but not in the Membership plugin.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya bayareamarketingmedia,

Let's take a look at each of these issues.

1. When a user registers, it doesn't require them to pay.

This is because of the free 30-day trial. It won't require any payment up front. Also, which gateway are you using here?

2. When the user activates the account, Wordpress sends them an email with their username and a link to the /wp-login.php page. I only want them to use the login on the homepage. I can't change the message it sends.

This is the default WordPress email. You may be able to modify that via a plugin such as this one: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/welcome-email-editor/

3. It is creating the user accounts in the Network Admin members area, but not in the Membership plugin.

Do you have incomplete registrations enabled? It sounds like the process isn't completing for some reason.
    It would be good to see your setup. If you have a link to your registration page, I'd be happy to test a signup myself and see what happens.

Thanks!

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for the assistance, Mason.
    1. Just to check the Paypal feature, I removed the initial 30 day trial, but it still didn't pop up.
    2. I installed that plugin, but that doesn't seem to work for the user emails. I don't want them to log into the back end.
    ------------
    Dear User, Your new account is set up. You can log in with the following information: Username: test2 Password: [User Set] http://floridafilmnetwork.com/wp-login.php Thanks! --The Team @ Florida Film Network
    ---------------
    3. I enabled the incomplete registrations feature. I admit, I don't understand that feature, at all.

Please check it out, and let me know what you think.
    I'll even let you into the admin area to validate that I didn't do anything studpid.

I'm kind of stressing out, right now. This is supposed to launch this Friday.

Here is the URL: http://floridafilmnetwork.com

Thank You!

• richguynetwork
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Tried the site. The system is sending an assigned password, which does not appear to be a working password. However after account activation, my chosen password appears to be working. If I didn't know wordpress I would not know I was login to my account on your system. You can possibly resolve it by sending the person to another page and/or sending the user to their account profile page.

I'm creating a similar setup and have some troubles of my own. looking through the forums for some answers first before I ask for support.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya @bayareamarketingmedia,

Ok, a few things to try.

First up, the version of the plugin attached here. It's got better built-in integration for BuddyPress.

If that doesn't solve everything, then we should do the following:
    1. Create a "fake" page and assign it to the BuddyPress default registration page. I've seen where having both BuddyPress and membership set to the same slug causes issues.

2. Make sure we have all the information entered in correctly for PayPal. If the gateway isn't setup correctly the plugin won't display the purchase button.

Let me know how those go for ya. Also, side note. I live in Sarasota. My brother is a local cinematographer with a rental business with a Red Epic camera, so I may have to send him your way :slight_smile:

Anyway, let us know how this goes. Thanks!

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

Thank @MasonJames,
    Very cool, you are only a few miles from Tampa.
    Your brother has probably heard of us, but I don't think I've met him.
    We could probably help him promote his rental business.
    -------------
    OK, so I did the following:
    1. updated BP from 1.5.4 to 1.5.5
    2. installed the version of Membership 3.0 supplied by you above.
    3. created a new page buddypress registration, and set it to be the Buddypress registration page.
    4. doing #3 caused the system to open up the subscription payment option (finally!), when a user hits the register button.
    5. unfortunately, when you click the Sign up link, it takes to a new page (not a popup), with screenshot #2, instead of PayPal popup.

Thanks for your help!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Looks like you've switched to the regular signup form vs. the popup. I just tried it out and was able to successfully register for the 'free 30 days' subscription.

Are you still having an issue here that we need to address? Happy to help if needed. Thanks!

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

Thanks for checking.
    I think we've got the basic registration issues solved.
    (The documentation really needs to updated and more precise.)

Can you tell me what happens when the free 30 days time is up?
    I haven't been able to see that work.
    Does the user's access change back to visitor, does it prompt for paypal payment after 30 days, or something else?

I currently have my subscription setup like this:
    access level 1 (my basic paid access) - in the initial position - 30 days at $0.00.
    Then, it moves to the same level access - $5/month recurring.

Does that sound correct to you?

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

Three more issues/concerns:
    1. Also, in the members area in Membership, it isn't adding a particular subscription to their profile. Is that normal?

2. Why do all the members get put into the Network Admin area AND the site admin area?

3. How can I show the button (instead of the link - "Sign up").
    After I'm logged in, I can see the button, but not during the registration process.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya bayareamarketingmedia,

Let's take a look at these.

I currently have my subscription setup like this:
    access level 1 (my basic paid access) - in the initial position - 30 days at $0.00.
    Then, it moves to the same level access - $5/month recurring.

How do you have the subscription setup? Finite at the basic level for 30 days and then a serial subscription with PayPal? Which gateway(s) do you have activated in membership?

1. Also, in the members area in Membership, it isn't adding a particular subscription to their profile. Is that normal?

I'm looking at this with a colleague as I'm not able to replicate that behavior (may also be because I don't have the exact setup you do - thus my questions above).

2. Why do all the members get put into the Network Admin area AND the site admin area?

By default Membership gives them a role on the main site (or whichever site membership is activated on) the Network Admin just lists globally across the network so will naturally contain all of these folks.

3. How can I show the button (instead of the link - "Sign up").
    After I'm logged in, I can see the button, but not during the registration process.

Hmmm, If I go back to the registration pages (logged in from my user yesterday) I still don't see the button. The plugin applies a class of "button" but the theme is using a style of "btn".

A quick solution would be to add button to the theme's stylesheet (style-default.css on line 450 and 464). So for example, it would go from this:

.btn.impactBtn, a.btn.impactBtn, a.btn.impactBtn:link, a.btn.impactBtn:visited {
        background: -moz-linear-gradient(center top , #CE4135, #BC2A21) repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
        border-color: #9B3128 #942821 #8D1F19;
        box-shadow: 0 1px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15), 0 1px 0 rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2) inset;
        color: #F3D5D4;
        text-shadow: 0 -1px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
        text-transform: uppercase;
    }

To this:

.btn.impactBtn, a.btn.impactBtn, a.btn.impactBtn:link, a.btn.impactBtn:visited, a.button {
        background: -moz-linear-gradient(center top , #CE4135, #BC2A21) repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;
        border-color: #9B3128 #942821 #8D1F19;
        box-shadow: 0 1px 2px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15), 0 1px 0 rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.2) inset;
        color: #F3D5D4;
        text-shadow: 0 -1px 0 rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.2);
        text-transform: uppercase;
    }

Or you could copy all the styles and just add the a.button and a.button:hover properties to wherever you're adding custom styling.

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

Answers to your questions:

1. How do you have the subscription setup? Finite at the basic level for 30 days and then a serial subscription with PayPal? Which gateway(s) do you have activated in membership?
    Yes, Finite for 30 days at $0, and then Serial for 1 Month at $5.
    Or Subscription two - is no trial, just $60 serial for 1 year.

2 & 3 - thanks

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

Can anyone help me get Membership working?

When people register and setup their membership, the user account is setup and works fine, the subscription is setup in Paypal, but Membership doesn't log that I got a new member, nor does it set them up in Membership with an Access Level or Subscription.

It is so close, but can't quite get it working, right.
    I can't wait much longer, the site is live.
    I can't believe this plugin is so hard to configure!

• bayareamarketingmedia
    • Flash Drive

OK, I was able to get the answer to my last issue, on another post.
    I wanted to document it here, for anyone else having this issue.

I was advised to turn on IPN in my Paypall Account.

So, I tried to turn on IPN, but I couldn't find information on what URL to set for the "Notification URL" required to enable IPN messages.

So, I added this URL, I found in a post in the support forums: http://mysite.com/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn .

So now Membership is now working! It is capturing the new subscriber and the level of access.

Here is my suggestion to WPMUDEV:
    It would be great to have videos that walk us through how to really setup all of your plugins. Most are simple, but some, like Membership, require a lot of very specific actions, that are not well documented.
    This would dramatically reduce the workload on your great support staff. As it is, they can't devote the attention, that we sometimes need, to resolve our issues. So, I believe you would have happier customers, and even more referrals.
    Just my two cents.

Thank You to Mason and Joe for the assistance!

• richguynetwork
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

@bayareamarketingmedia off subject a bit.. I'm in the SF Bay Are at the south end of the bay. if we're close by, maybe we could hook up in person and help each other out at starbucks or something..

I'll write more in an email response, as I do not want to tie up your support here.. :slight_smile:

you can email me Tracy @ Rich Guy Network . com < remove spaces of course.. :slight_smile:

if everything is setup, I'll give it another beta test.. :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.