Need help translating some parts of the theme

Hi, I am using your en_EN.po file found in the languages folder to translate the site into swedish. But there are some parts I just can't seem to be able to translate.

The first is "currently powering X blogs" which can be seen top right of the site. I've been able to translate currently powering but not the "blogs" part.

The second is the date in posts and also in widgets (only recent posts widget tried so far). For dates it uses for example 16th, 17th and so on which is correct in english but for a swedish site that doesn't look the best. Any way to fix so it only types the number?

Thanks
/Robert

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

The first is "currently powering X blogs" which can be seen top right of the site. I've been able to translate currently powering but not the "blogs" part.

Ah yes, blogs has been left out, sorry about that - I'll have the developer fix that up.

The date uses the WordPress standard so I believe you will need to provide a translation for WordPress to change that....

Phil

• Dukeswe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Alright. I'll have to wait for you to update the theme with the blogs part then :slight_smile:

But for the date. The thing that confuses me is that I do have a swedish version of wordpress and changing the date format of wordpress doesn't change the date format used in the posts but it does do it in the comments!

The date of the comment says: 16 juni, 2011 kl. 14:49
    while the date of the post says: by Robert in juni 16th 2011

So the month in the post actually shows the swedish name of the month juni... but the rest is still english (16th). And why doesn't changing the format of the date in wordpress affect the posts like it does for the comments?

/Robert

• Dukeswe

Alright. I made a child theme so I could change the date :slight_smile:

Although there is still the issue of the latest posts widget showing the date wrong (the english way)

Also I noticed the text of the date in the widgets is way too light grey against the white background making it hard to see. Since I already have a child theme I would appreciate some help in how to change the color. :slight_smile:

Thanks
    /Robert

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Ah the widget I'm afraid you'll have difficulty with as it's part of WordPress core.... You'd have to create your own, identical widget for that....

Grab Firebug and that'll point out the appropriate CSS rules you need to overwrite in your child theme to change the colours :slight_smile:

Phil

• Dukeswe

I feel abit stupid now >_<
    I thought I had put a widget there but the "latest news" on the homepage is a part of the theme.
    So there should be a way to change that just like I did on the posts right?

With Firebug I did manage to find the color and change it aswell so thanks for that :slight_smile:

• Dukeswe

There has been no theme update so I would like some help on how to manually edit the po file with the currently powering X "blogs" translation. Seems only the blogs part needs to be translated. So if you could give me the correct code to copy into the po file to make the blogs part translatable I'd appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thanks
    /Robert

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Sorry about that, I'll nudge the developer on that fix.

In the meantime you can change line 129 of header.php to this;
    print "<strong>" . $tmp_blog_count . _e(" blogs") . "</strong>";

You can then regenerate the pot file and it'll pick up the string.

Or just change "blogs" on the line above directly to the translation.

Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.