Need help troubleshooting issue with saving posts and navigation admin.

When navigating wp-admin, the site seems intermittently not to process requests. Navigating to a post or page will just keep you on the original page. Updating a post will not take affect. This is happening with various sites on one multisite (using different themes).

Initial step was to disable all plugins and themes to try to pinpoint the issue. But after cloning the entire server to a new test server, we were unable to replicate the issue.

Any assistance in what I should be looking for (problem with server config, theme issues, multisite setup) will be helpful.

Theme: Custom built, Child of 2011
PHP: 5.4.14
MySQL: 5.5.16
WordPress: 3.8
Server: IIS 7.5

• Vaughan

Hi @vcwebservices,

I have no experience with IIS so I can't really say anything regarding checking your web.config but you said, you cloned it to a new web server and it works fine (was this IIS too? or apache?)

Do you have any cache plugins installed? or is the server using any other kind of caching such as varnish or memcache etc.

Can you double check the DB using Phpmyadmin & select all the tables & do a check/repair tables, see if there's any corrupt tables at all.

Do you get any errors when you press ctrl+shift+J (in chrome/firefox)?

Also is there any errors in your error logs?

Can you enable WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php

Hope this helps

• vcwebservices

Thanks Vaughn - see my responses below:

I have no experience with IIS so I can't really say anything regarding checking your web.config but you said, you cloned it to a new web server and it works fine (was this IIS too? or apache?)

- The clone was IIS too, we just cloned the virtual server to a new instance.

Do you have any cache plugins installed? or is the server using any other kind of caching such as varnish or memcache etc.

- On the server we have WinCache enabled, for the site we have WP Super Cache. (I just took a look at this and saw that Garbage Collection was not enabled, could this be a possible cause?)

Can you double check the DB using Phpmyadmin & select all the tables & do a check/repair tables, see if there's any corrupt tables at all.

- Is this something I can do in production or should I test in development first?

Do you get any errors when you press ctrl+shift+J (in chrome/firefox)?

- No errors in the console, it even appears as though all GET requests are successful, even the URL changes, but the page content does not (but only sometimes).

Also is there any errors in your error logs?

- I am leaving the office now, but I will look tomorrow.

Can you enable WP_DEBUG in wp-config.php

- Not in production and issues are not presenting in development... I can try and see at least if there are any clues tomorrow.

Thanks for your help... I will look into your suggestions and follow up tomorrow.

• vcwebservices

After trying the following the issue still persists:

- I disabled WP Super Cache
    - I also found the WinCache had not previously been loading correctly, so it couldn't have been contributing to the issue
    - I enabled WP_DEBUG, there are a lot of errors, but I am not seeing a timing correlation between when I replicate an issue and a specific error.
    - In the PHP logs I am seeing one main recurring issue:

PHP Warning: call_user_func() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'gtcn_basic_callback' not found or invalid function name in D:\inetpub\wp.valenciacollege.edu\wp-includes\comment-template.php on line 1627

but after restarting the site, it has not come up again.

We are using IntenseDebate for comments. Is it possible that it could be causing the issues? Is there any additional information I can give that can assist in identifying a possible cause?

Thanks for your help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.