Need help with Comment Plus with Builder theme!

Not sure what is causing this issue. I had the same issue a few years ago and simply gave up. Hoping we can resolve this. I have installed Troubleshoot plugin and comment plus. Have created my apps for both twitter and facebook. Once activated, the comments do not show up. I suspect I may have to change the hooks, but need a bit of help doing this. site: http://crystalrings.org. Any tips appreciated.

• marcdubeau
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Below you will find a screenshot of my settings (PS i am running JETPACK comment module- does this create a conflict?) . You will see the front end view and the settings as I have set them up.
    Here is my settings file (can you delete this post after so my api keys do not get reused!!) --- LINK REMOVED ---

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @marcdubeau

It's highly likely that the JetPack Comments module is interfering.

Can you disable all other plugins and see if it works then?

I'm sure you are aware, but in the Comments Plus settings there is an option to area to choose which social networks to include, these must NOT be ticked if you want to use them.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Mike
    • New Recruit

@marcdubeau Sorry we must have started at the same time! I see that you only have the wordpress comments to not be shown, and from your screenshot, that is all that IS being shown.

As I said, please disable other plugins and then we will see where we stand. If there are still issues after disabling plugins, try switching to the TwentyTwelve theme and see if that works.

Cheers,
    Mike

• marcdubeau

Great I removed Jetpack and then installed Twenty Eleven. Once I did this I could see the 3 new sign in options. Once I reinstalled the Builder Itheme theme, the comment section reverted to the builder framework comments. Thus, the theme is conflicting with the lplugin. Do I have to find out the comment hook on the builder theme? If so, any direction you can provide would be appreciated.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @marcdubeau

I'm glad that you have been able to isolate the issue to the theme.

Unfortunately I think you'd be best speaking to the theme developer about this.

If you know your way around PHP you could take a look at the single.php(I assume this is only on the single blog post/page right?) and see what they have there for the comment section. You will notice in TwentyTwelve all that's there to display the comment section is this:
    <?php comments_template( '', true ); ?>

If your theme also just says this, then they have edited it and probably in functions.php

I've not used the theme so I wouldn't know where to look, but you should be able to find it and work it out if they won't help you.

I hope this points you in the right direction.

Cheers,
    Mike

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @marcdubeau

I hope you are well today.

Blaming the plugin is an easy way out, chances are there is a custom comment section included with the theme that is overriding the plugin.

I don't have the Builder theme so I can't comment on where the comment section is being changed, but the fact that the plugin works with a different theme shows that somewhere, Builder is not using Wordpress standard coding practices.

Did you look for the code I mentioned in the single.php file?

Cheers,
    Mike

• marcdubeau

Here is what I got from the Ithemes gang: "Keep in mind that we are likely to not have knowledge of a plugin that you are having specific issues with, so we only know what you tell us. I looked at the plugin's page, but I didn't find any information on how it expects to integrate with a theme.

Builder's comments function just as the comments of the default WordPress themes. It simply calls the comments_template function which then loads in the comments.php file from the theme. So I'm not sure what they are needing Builder to do differently.

If the plugin replaces the entire comment system, then you can add a comments.php file to your child theme and put the required code in that file".

Will get back to you in my next post re: your first question.

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @marcdubeau

I'm afraid I can't really offer much help as I've never seen or used the theme.

Can you send a copy in? Then I can have a look at it and hopefully I'll be able to offer some advice.

Also please send details so that I can log in to your website and have a look

Send both the theme and details for Wordpress, cPanel & FTP to contact(at)wpmudev.org please make sure the subject line is Attn: Mike and all details are included :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Mike

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @marcdubeau

I got your email, thanks for that.

Looking at the theme files I can see that when they said:

Builder's comments function just as the comments of the default WordPress themes.

What they actually meant was something along the lines of:

Builder's comments function completely overwrites the default Wordpress comments function!

With that in mind, we need to remove the entire form and replace it with the following:
    <?php comment_form(); ?>

As that involves quite a few lines of code, I've just created the file for you and posted it below.

Here's what you need to do:
    1) Go to wp-content/themes/BuilderChild-Everett
    2) Rename comments.php to comments.php.old
    3) Upload the attached comments.php to wp-content/themes/BuilderChild-Everett
    4) Done!

I hope this helps! Let me know how you get on. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Mike

• Kaxa
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello

I have a same problem, and as I found this thread, thought it would be better to post in here instead of opening a new thread, sorry if Im wrong : ))

I have a builder theme, first I tried adding the default hooks inside the comments.php, One - before the form and Second Hook line After the form.

After that, form was displaying on my blog article page, but when I was trying to post with FB, Twitter or Google Plus, after Authorization of APP, it was simply authorizing and instead of opening up a comment form, it was displaying the button again to authorize app, I dont know what was wrong, Im pretty sure I did everything correctly, while setting an applications in both twitter and facebook.

This error, of requiring authorization again and again, was coming up on all - twitter, FB and Google Plus comment functions...

After that, I found this thread, downloaded the comments.php (provided by Mike) and replaced the themes original comments.php. Now I dont see the comments form at all...

Ive attached the Original Comments Php file. Please take a look and help me out to correctly install the comments.php

Appreciate your help a Lot!
    Best Regards

• Mike
    • New Recruit

Hi @Kaxa

Thanks for posting and welcome to WPMU DEV!

Are you sure this is the same issue? The issue that the original poster was having was that the contact form wasn't displaying, it sounds like you got it to display but then had additional problems.

I think it would be best to post a new thread as I don't think the issue is the same and you will get better help if the thread is devoted to your problem.

Cheers,
    Mike

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.