Need help with Hummingbird optimization.

I have hummingbird installed, but on a multisite (first time I've worked with a multisite) so am not sure if that's contributing to my problem. I've enabled everything I can, but am seeing a low score. Please check and help.

• Jonathan Solorzano

Hi Nathan,

Thank you for contacting WPMU Support!

I understand you are trying to get acquainted with Hummingbird for your Multisite setup. Using Hummingbird is a great choice because it will allow you to optimize all of your sites and improve your sites' performance.

I can see that Multisite is something new to you(based on previous chat) so I'm recommending you go through these guides to help you on this journey:

A Thoroughly Biased Guide to the Plugins You Need to Get WordPress Multisite Up and Running
    25 Must-Have Plugins for WordPress Multisite Networks
    How to Backup Your WordPress Website (and Multisite) Using Snapshot
    How to Use One SSL Certificate for a Multisite Network

So in regards to your Hummingbird Optimization, here are our recommendations to get the following errors fixed:

Optimize Images:This means your image files are slowing down your site. Use WP Smush Pro to compress and optimize your image files with little to no loss in quality. You can follow these tips on optimizing your images with Smush Pro: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/image-compression-tips-smush-pro/ and here to get started:https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/wpmu-dev-plugins/hummingbird/#chapter-5

Remove Render Blocking Resources:When it comes to render blocking issues and WordPress, the best practice is to load as many scripts as possible in the footer of your site, so slow-loading scripts won’t prevent vital parts of your site from loading quickly. However, not all plugins and themes follow this idea.

Hummingbird lets you move script calls from the header to the footer with a click of a button. Although some caching plugins give you the option to move the render blocking files to the footer, more often than not you have to manually locate the files yourself. Hummingbird lets you move script calls from the header to the footer. Make sure to backup your site before playing with this feature, or tinker on a testing/staging environment.

All you need to do is go to Hummingbird > Minification in the backend of your site and follow the steps listed here(scroll to the bottom under 'How to Eliminate Render Blocking Issues with Hummingbird' ): https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/eliminate-render-blocking-issues-hummingbird/

You can use the improve button on each one to get the details on the files that are causing the error and also be able to follow the steps provided(view screenshot)

This might require a thorough reading from your end but it will definitely be of great benefit for all of your sites in the long run. So keep us in the loop and we will be here to assist you with any doubts or concerns that you may have.

Best,

Jonathan S

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.