Need help with Marketpress Settings

Hello All,
Looking for some help and guidance. I am brand new to wordpress and marketplace so if I am asking something that is obvious, please know that I am just that green. ?

I just installed marketplace on a BitNami installation on my computer (wanted to set things up locally and do some testing before taking it online), anyway when I created some subsite stores nothing shows up in the product categories, our products, etc. on the sites main page. Also I noticed on some marketplace setups there is a “Pick a Store” dropdown at the top of the page. My site doesn’t have it. Have I missed something in installing marketplace? I also have the “Theme Tailors Front End Plugin” installed to hide the wordpress dashboard to any users that sign up for my site.

Hope someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
MJ

• Mark Wallace

Hi MoeJoe!

I have learned and even witnessed again 2 times this week, that local host and MarketPress do work well for a test environment.

I have seen problems just disappear 4 times just by switching from a local host to a real server.

I would recommend spending the $3-$5 per month for a test environment; however i hear there are other members who use local host; maybe they will have further advice for you!

Thanks MJ!

• PC

Hiya Mark,

Thanks pitching in on this one.

@MJ : That store drop down seems some custom work and not a part of the plugin. Perhaps (List of subsites :wink: ) which is just routing you to the next multisite on your account.

Also, if you like to do testing before making it live, you can add a subdomain like test.yoursite.com and install WP on that and it should do the task :slight_smile: Dollars Saved :stuck_out_tongue:

Over having that on the top bar, I like eCommerce sites where I can see the recently updates stores and that is where the below plugin comes into picture

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/blogs-directory/

Inputs ?

Cheers
    PC

• MoeJoe

Thanks for both of your inputs. I actually have a subdomain and have a test product on it. I also created a test product on the main site. The only product that shows up on the home page is the product created from the main site. The only way to find the product created for the subdomain is by going to the subdomain itself. Do you guys really think it has to do with it being installed locally?
    I also noticed that the categories for the main site and the one for the subdomain are separate from each other. Is that normal I thought all sites share the same categories?

Another question while talking about categories. Is there a way to create a list of categories and have that set as the default for all sites? I would like it if I create the category list and not have the users be able to add or create categories on the fly.

Last question, (don't know if I need to create a new thread for this) - is it possible to create a downloadable product in the marketplace? If so how and how secure is it? I see the product download section while creating a test product, but does it email a link for the download if someone purchases the product?

Thanks for everyone's help

• Mark Wallace

Hi MoeJoe!

@PC will be online shortly, it would be best to follow his lead. He is more knowledgeable about WP and databases then i am.
    Personally I do believe your problems are a result of a local_host, but others seem to get by just fine using them. :disappointed:

I do not believe that site share the same categories:
    If you want to create a CVS file to upload categories to websites this can be done in the WP admin dashboard.

If you want posts from one site to go into the categories of another site, I am not sure how to do this. There may be a plugin to help.

Yes MarketPress has a downloadable product option. You can set the number of downloads allowed, I am not sure how the URL is protected, but I am sure PC will know these things.

Thanks MoeJoe!

• MoeJoe

Hi All,
    Has anyone know of a way to achieve this

"I also noticed that the categories for the main site and the one for the subdomain are separate from each other. Is that normal I thought all sites share the same categories?

Another question while talking about categories. Is there a way to create a list of categories and have that set as the default for all sites? I would like it if I create the category list and not have the users be able to add or create categories on the fly.

Last question, (don't know if I need to create a new thread for this) - is it possible to create a downloadable product in the marketplace? If so how and how secure is it? I see the product download section while creating a test product, but does it email a link for the download if someone purchases the product?"

I wouldn't think it would be that hard, but again I am a new to wordpress.

Hope to hear from someone soon.

Thanks

• PC

Hiya MJ,

Currently the plugin does not have an option to use Global Categories but I was able to find a great tutorial for a way around.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/global-product-categories-solved-a-tutorial

Please have a look at this and see if that helps.

I have not tested MP for a downloadable product as of now, however, you can signup for a PayPal sandbox account and create a downloadable product. I have tested that on a couple of client sites, and it was pretty secure as It would only allow you to download the file once you go through a proper checkout.

Please advise

Cheers
    PC

• MoeJoe

PC,
    I took a brief look at the tutorial for the Global Categories and it looks really good. Thanks for finding it. I am going to dig into it some more.

I do need to find out exactly how to make the downloadable product work, because it will be a huge selling point for my MP site. I would like to offer the users of my site the capability of having both physical and digital products available in their stores site
    How exactly would PayPal handle the downloadable product and how would this offer my users a seamless process with their shop? There has to be some kind of plugin out their that would be able to do this.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

Thanks,
    MJ

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.