Need help with multi domains and domain mapping.

Hello. Please can you help me setup the following, I have purchased the yearly subscription

I have a working multisite installation on my development machine. I am trying to configure a setup which allows multiple domains in different countries with country specific content, which use the same theme and design. It is important that the front end content is served from local domains (for seo) but the admin can be through any domain it does not matter.

I have the following domains (which are just local dev domains for now)

bnl.loc
bnl-in.loc
bnl-ch.loc

I want them all to use the same theme so that when someone visits bnl.loc they get the same design as bnl-in.loc however they will be in different languages. Users that log into bnl.loc/wp-admin/ will only see posts and page content relevant to them (i.e. the ones they have written or allowed acess to in their own language).

I've currently tried a number of approaches on my local dev machine but I'm not having any success. Can you please provide me with instructions on how to do this.

I've tried this already

1. Network Admin > Dashboard > Sites > Add Site
But whatever I try to add here I always get the error message "Missing or invalid site address", it doesnt matter what I put in here.

Is this even the right approach?

2. Network Admin > Dashboard > Domain Mapping. I'm just working locally for now so the local address is 127.0.0.1. When I click on the Mapped Domains Tab it is empty but there is no way of adding a 'map'.

3. Network Admin > Dashboard > Multi Domains - I can add domains in here fine for example

- bnl.loc
- bnl-in.loc
- bnl-ch.loc

but I don't see where they show up or how to map them ?

I have added them to my hosts file

127.0.0.1 bnl.loc bnl-in.loc bnl-ch.loc

But it doesnt seem to work.

Please can I have some help with this !

Here is a copy of my Network Admin > Settings > Network Setup.

define('MULTISITE', true);
define('SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true);
define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'bnl.loc');
define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', '/');
define('SITE_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);
define('BLOG_ID_CURRENT_SITE', 1);

and my .htaccess

RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /
RewriteRule ^index.php$ - [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
RewriteRule ^wp-admin$ wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
RewriteRule ^ - [L]
RewriteRule ^(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
RewriteRule ^(.*.php)$ $1 [L]
RewriteRule . index.php [L]

• Patrick

Hi there @Neil Charlton

Welcome to the forums, glad to have you aboard!

I'm honestly not certain that your setup is going to behave as expected on a local install. I would certainly recommend having a live install to develop on for this.

That being said, I think we need to clear something up first: Multi-Domains enables you or your users to create subsites in your network under any one of the domains you have included in the Multi-Domains settings.

Those domains are not the ones you will be mapping with the Domain Mapping plugin. The subsites that are created under those domains are what can be mapped.

For example, you or a user could create a subsite under any one of the domains you have enabled on your multisite with Multi-Domains, like mysite.bnl.loc or mysite.bnl-ch.loc and map it to a different domain like mycoolsite.com

But again, this type of setup would be best configured in a live development environment. Do you have access to such an environment, or can you create one?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.