Need help with resources timing out please

I recently took over a site (fidkids.com). They asked me to take it over because it was performing really slow and going down. So I have begun using WPMU plugins to make it better. I have come up against another issue though.
I have been receiving the max connections error (max connections are set to 30). I installed the query monitor plugin, but I cannot seem to figure out what is causing the issue. The host (GoDaddy...ugh!) has not been helpful at all and I believe they have contributed to the site's issues.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Clay Hess

I hope you're well today and thank you for reaching out to us!

I noticed that due to some technical issues, it wasn't quite possible to proceed with troubleshooting via a live chat and one of the last things done was deactivation of the plugins. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which plugins should be enabled back so would you please help me a bit and activate all the necessary plugins before we proceed?

What I'd like to do would be to start with a site in a state "as it was" when you came to the chat. I do need to "review" it and see if I can find what might be causing that and if there's any reasonable solution that could help (other than moving to other host).

Having that said, I suppose that you are right and the host is "contributing" to the issue. While the PHP settings seem to be fine, the thing that bothers me is that the Query Monitor reports a slow query even in current state, coming directly from WordPress core. On the other hand, it might also be a case of a "clutter" in the database, especially the _options table, but we'll come to that if necessary :slight_smile:

Also, with all the plugins enabled as they normally are, you are receiving that error but it doesn't permanently take the site down, correct?

Let me know about it, please, and once the plugins are enabled back and I'll access the site again and investigate it (though I might need to "play" a bit with disabling/enabling plugins during that check, if you don't mind).

Best regards,
    Adam

• Clay Hess

Adam,

I have deactivated all plugins except for the WPMU Dashboard, Defender and Query Monitor.

What has been happening is this...

The site has been going down and reporting a 503 error. I turned on error reporting & debugging and it was reporting a max_connections error stating that it was over 30.

The only way to get it back online was to kill the php processes in cpanel.

Since I deactivated the plugins, it has been more stable, but did go down this morning.

I have support access enabled, so please feel free to go in at your earliest convenience. If you need cpanel or ftp access, let me know.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Clay Hess

Thank you for this additional explanation, I think it's now clear to me :slight_smile:

However, in that case I would like to be able to access cPanel as well. It seems that me "playing with plugins" could cause the site to go down and if I couldn't get it back without killing php processes, then I'd rather not risk it.

Note: Don't leave your login details in this ticket.
    Instead, you can send us your details using our contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question and the template below:

Subject: "Attn: Adam Czajczyk"
    - Site login URL
    - WordPress admin username
    - WordPress admin password
    - FTP credentials (host/username/password)
    - cPanel credentials (host/username/password)
    - Folder path to site in question
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant urls/info

I'll then access the site again and do a detailed check. If there'll be any fixes that are relatively safe and wouldn't affect site's features, I'll apply them and if I come up with some other possible changes that might affect site features or design or require some serious changes in configuration - I'll let you know first so you would decide whether to apply them or not.

Best regards,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Clay Hess

I received your message, thank you.

I was able to access GoDaddy's panel (ouch, it's really slow itself...) and check some logs for site and I must say this starts to look a bit more complex than I expected.

What bothers me the most is the fact that even though there are currently only 3 plugins active the site still is losing connection to the database every couple of seconds (and such connection lose is usually means that either the db went down or that the number of allowed connections has been reached) and it's also nearly continuously hitting PHP memory limits.

That's something that should not be happening, in my opinion. As a "side question", is the site getting a big traffic? I'm not asking about details, just some rough "range estimation". Let me know, please.

I'd also appreciate a a bit of patience as I'm investigating the case. I might need to dig "quite deep" to see what might be causing aforementioned behavior on such a simple (in terms of the number of currently active plugins and WP configuration) site. I will, of course, update you either here or via mail as soon as I draw some conclusions or get some "meaningful" findings :wink:

Best regards,
    Adam

• Clay Hess

Thanks for the update. I thought the same things. I would love to move from GoDaddy, but the client signed with them before contacting me.

I have turned on debugging and error reporting. So you should be able to access the debug and error logs. That is where I saw the max_connections error.

If you look on the cpanel, you should see where you can access some of the eror logs that GoDaddy provides. Also, there is an area where you can get in and see the PHP config. I have the memory settings maxed out.

If there is anything you need from me, let me know.

• Clay Hess

Thanks for the update. I thought the same things. I would love to move from GoDaddy, but the client signed with them before contacting me.

I have turned on debugging and error reporting. So you should be able to access the debug and error logs. That is where I saw the max_connections error.

If you look on the cpanel, you should see where you can access some of the eror logs that GoDaddy provides. Also, there is an area where you can get in and see the PHP config. I have the memory settings maxed out.

Also, the client asked me if there was a specific plugin we could enable - contest? They are having a kids costume contest for Halloween. Would that be ok?

• Clay Hess

Also, the client asked me if there was a specific plugin we could enable - contest? They are having a kids costume contest for Halloween. Would that be ok?

• Clay Hess

Just an update from my end...I changed the theme to the default WP theme to see if there were any issues from the theme side of things. The issues still occurred. So that tells me it is not a theme issue. SO it seems that it is not an issue with the theme, or the plugins since we have nearly all of them disabled. There is one slow query...

SELECT option_name, option_value
    FROM fkwp_options
    WHERE autoload = 'yes'

But I do not have Hummingbird enabled.

I am leaning more and more that it is a host config issue, but let me know your thoughts pls.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hi Clay Hess

Thanks for all the additional information.

I was able to get the site (and login) back on and actually I found some problems directly in the database which most likely were the culprit here and the main source of this entire issue.

I've already sent you a long e-mail outlining all the details of what I checked and what I did, along with some additional explanation.

Please take a look at your inbox and hopefully it should be fine now :slight_smile:

Best regards,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.