Need Help with Starting a WordPress Resource Site

Hi everyone,

I am starting a WordPress resource/directory portal which will contain listings of themes, plugins, developers, theme designers, coders & programmers, support forums, resources etc…

I have prepared a rough list of category but not sure how well its structured:

Themes (Free)

Themes (Premium)

Plugins (Free)

Plugins (Premium)

Developers

– Themes

– Plugins

– Others

Coders & Programmers

– Themes

– Plugins

– Others

Theme Designers

Advisor’s & Consultants

Freelancers

Resources

– Support Forums

– Hacks & Mods

– Blogs

– Articles

– Directory

– Others

Rather than having different categories for free & premium themes, I can have a single category for themes and then have a field to display if its free or premium theme. The same goes good for plugins also.

I plan to keep it as simple as possible yet as organized & informative so that people can easily find what they are looking for. For e.g. someone may be looking for a specific WP theme, let assume a theme related to gifts & flowers. That way, the themes directory could be sub-divided into sub-categories. The same goes true for plugins. It could be organised in a variety of sub-categories.

Any help with structuring the category list will be highly appreciated. Looking forward to everyone’s comments & suggestions.

Thanks,

Alok

• Alok Sharma
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Thanks aecnu, I really look forward to everyone’s feedback.

BTW, I have already registered a 6 digit .com domain starting with wp (wpXXXX.com) and also setup the script. Just working on basic configurations now.

However, I want to keep this concealed until I get some good feedback so that I can setup the site before presenting it to the community.

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hey Alok,

A Nice project is taking birth here.

I have a lil bit to add before I get going

I can have a single category for themes and then have a field to display if its free or premium theme. The same goes good for plugins also.

You may want to add a new filed to your post page and then have a drop down in that to select whether its a free or a premium theme of plugin.

You may find it here More Fields Plugin

It adds any number of extra fields in any number of additional boxes on the Write/Edit page in the Admin.

Hope that helps some part of it :slight_smile:

Cheers

PC

• Alok Sharma

Unfortunately, despite this being a WordPress related project, I am using a different script that I had with me for as it allows me to prevent duplicate URL’s from being added with lots of other functionality.

If only I was able to find how to prevent duplicates in custom fields, this project had been powered with WP.

• Alok Sharma

BTW, I have also added a Blogs category which will further classify with sub-categories like Animals, Auto, Baby, etc….

Basically it will be a repository of WordPress blogs database allowing the blog owners to add their sites in the respective category.

• Alok Sharma

Hey buddy,

Thanks for stopping by this thread. I thought I will never get any attention here but good to hear from you.

CustomPress would had been surely my 1st choice but it doesn’t has the provision to prevent duplicate link from being added. Hence, I am using eSyndicat for this project as it prevents duplicate links from being added which is a primary requirement.

As for the domain, let me not make you more curious :slight_smile: Its wpkhoj.com but still everything is being fixed. It will take some time before I can make any public announcement or decide the way how everything is going to be organised.

I do have a thought on doing something like using WP multi-site with sub-domain setup and then have the following sub-domains:

themes.wpkhoj.com

plugins.wpkhoj.com

blogs.wpkhoj.com (listings of sites using WP)

resources.wpkhoj.com (listings of developers, consultants, reviews, discussion boards etc…:wink:

This will give me more power over the customisation like if someone is browsing themes.wpkhoj.com, then they can filter the results with a various number of criteria’s like author / developer, colour, category, width, features etc…

But again, everything comes back to the same requirement i.e. prevent duplicate links from being added.

I already have a few threads open on this but couldn’t find any concrete solution.

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Alok,

Sub-domain model is too much work, but as you said, there will be too many options. If you are willing to go all the way, Multisite is the way to go.

CustomPress would had been surely my 1st choice but it doesn’t has the provision to prevent duplicate link from being added.

Am confused over this. What do you mean by duplicate link being added?

• Alok Sharma

So here I go from scratch again.

The idea behind this project is to create a directory of WP related resources like themes, plugins, developers, consultants, blogs etc…

A custom field will be used to store the URL of the target site which will be made clickable from the front-end. e.g. ‘Click here to visit this website’.

Also, it is meaningless to have a duplicate URL’s in the directory for which I need a solution to prevent duplicate data from being entered into a custom field.

Well, lot of work and still I am at ground 0.

• Alok Sharma

He he :slight_smile:

I do have a work around but I don’t know the how to steps.

1. Create a new table column in wp_posts table. Let name it as URL.

2. Make this column property as unique so that it won’t accept blank or duplicate data. I remember I saw this in some script, but can’t recall it now.

3. A code that allows us to read / write data from this column.

I am sure there might be many other people looking for a similar solution.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.