Need help with subdomain domain mapping

I have been using domain mapping no problem with all of our multisite blogs, but this time I have a different scenario and am completely confusing myself on what to do...

I have a domain gallagherebc.com that does not have a blog / site associated to it. It is just the primary domain that we will be creating a bunch of subdomains with to use for our client's (gallagherebc) clients. They have a client (defender) that we have created a site for. Currently that is at defender.bluewaterclick.com. (bluewaterclick.com is our main multisite domain). I got the gallagherebc.com domain, set up the A record that is listed in the IP domain mapping tool (host is gallgherebc.com points to 11.111.111.111) and then parked the domain in our main domain's (bluewaterclick.com) cpanel as I usually do. Then I went to the defender site's domain mapping under tools and put in (custom domain) defender.gallagherebc.com ---> (blog address) defender.bluewaterclick.com. I went into the gallagherebc domain host and created a CNAME of defender and directed it to http://defender.bluewaterclick.com.

It isn't working and I am thinking in circles and can't figure out what I have done wrong, but I am sure it will be obvious to someone else! I also wasn't sure that since we will be having mutiple subdomains to need to do this with, should the * record of gallagherebc.com also be pointed to the IP listed in the domain mapping tool? Do I need to park each of the subdomains also (defender.gallagherebc.com)? Please assist, thanks!!!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

First of all, I just need to clarify your main domain because you say;

I have a domain gallagherebc.com that does not have a blog / site associated to it. It is just the primary domain

but then you also say;

bluewaterclick.com is our main multisite domain

Can you clarify please which domain is your main Multisite domain please?

Thanks,
    Phil

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings :slight_smile:

well the IP's are resolving correctly from what I can see:

gallagherebc.com --> 67.222.102.246

bluewaterclick.com --> 67.222.102.246

This is on a shared server with:
    Reverse IP Lookup Results—146 domains hosted on IP address 67.222.102.246

I would imagine that gallagherebc.com is the main site for hosting purposes and that bluewaterclick.com is a multi site install in a sub folder of gallagherebc.com or reverse?

So there is a potential of many problems here:

a) not on dedicated IP - server has to parse through 146 other domains.

b) sub folder not root folder install - major deal breaker.

Trying to get to the root of your problem :slight_smile: no pun intended :slight_smile:

Joe :slight_smile:

• sixdegrees
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Guys, sorry for the delay in my response to your prompt replies! I am relatively new to the whole multisite thing, so please forgive my incorrect explanation! bluewaterclick.com is the multisite install. So all of our bogs/sites start off as xxxxxx.bluewaterclick.com. In this case it started as defender.bluewaterclick.com. I want defender.gallagherebc.com to direct to defender.bluewaterclick.com. I have set this up many times for other sites domain (or primary domain as I called it above), but never a subdomain and I am lost on the whole subdomain thing. Here's the steps I have taken (hopefully more clearly defined):

1) Set up blog site at defender.bluewaterclick.com
    2) Took out gallagherebc.com
    3) Created A record for gallagherebc.com to the 67.222.102.246 (our multisite install IP)
    4) Parked gallagherebc.com in the CPanel of bluewaterclick
    5) Created a subdomain defender that points to \ directory (by default...didn't think this needed to change) of gallagherebc.com
    6) Created a CNAME of Host: defender and Points to: http://defender.bluewaterclick.com
    7) Went into domain mapping tool from defender.bluewaterclick.com and said Custom domain: http://defender.gallagherebc.com and Original Blog Address: http://defender.bluewaterclick.com

That's it. Things I have not done and wasn't sure if I should:

1) Park the defender.gallagherebc.com in the bluewaterclick.com Cpanel
    2) Do anything with the * record
    3) ??

Thanks again for your help!!

• sixdegrees

oh, by the way our hosting is with PSek. We did not do the multisite install ourselves, so I really know nothing of the root subfolder stuff you were referring to. I know that when we log in to everything to create sites, etc it is via bluewaterclick.com. All of the other blogs we have end up always being subs of that and we normally take out a domain for those blogs and do the whole domain mapping thing:slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings sixdegrees :slight_smile:

I think a quick way to fix this all if I understand the following correctly:

bluewaterclick.com is the Mutli Site Install

defender.bluewaterclick.com is a working subdomain in the bluewaterclick.com Multi Site Install

You want defender.gallagherebc.com to resolve to defender.bluewaterclick.com

What I would do to accomplish this is to first remove everything to do with gallagherebc.com from bluewaterclick.com, and create it as its own domain not related to bluewaterclick.com nor defender.bluewaterclick.com.

I would then creat another complete domain - not sub domain - but domain called defender.gallagherebc.com

Next and finally I would use Apache Redirect from the control panel to redirect defender.gallagherebc.com to defender.bluewaterclick.com which in the CPanel should look something like:

http://defender.gallagherebc.com/ --> http://defender.bluewaterclick.com/

that should do it :slight_smile:

• sixdegrees

Ok Joe I gotta admit you lost me! I think I followed until you started talking about the Apache thing. Where would I find this? On the host of the multisite install (Psek Cpanel) or where i host these domains (netfirms)?

The idea to do this was to not create separate domains for each of these sites. Is there not just a simple way to redirect the subdomain defender.gallagherebc.com and have it go to the defender.bluewaterebc.com without purchasing another domain?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Sorry I lost you on that :-S No you do not need to purchase another domain.

I was just about to go into another round of techno babble before stopping myself to re-phrase the whole thing.

Right now bluewaterclick.com is the Mutli Site Install

defender.bluewaterclick.com is a working subdomain in the bluewaterclick.com Multi Site Install

Now in your control panel where you normally put in your domain have the domain gallagherebc.com, it should now be showing if you already put it in or be showing in your domain listing on your hosting server.

When you create or created gallagherebc.com it added it to your domain listing and creates all the DNS records etc.

Now do the same thing but for the domain name you want to add instead of gallagherebc.com or bluewaterclick.com - add the whole domain name defender.gallagherebc.com

it will create the domain records for defender.gallagherebc.com just like any other domain and also show in your list of domains.

Next go to the redirect in your control panel and redirect defender.gallagherebc.com to defender.bluewaterebc.com

NO PURCHASE NECESSARY

it should take about three minutes to set up through your control panel and the redirect work so that when someone types in defender.gallagherebc.com it takes them to defender.bluewaterebc.com.

(The technical aspect if this is that there are many types of re-directs - in this case the redirect is carried out by Apache but you can ignore this part ..... lol ..... it just works)

• sixdegrees

Ok so just to clarify, by Control Panel are you talking about the Control Panel (Cpanel) with Psek that hosts our multisite install and our bluewaterclick.com domain (where I normally park the domains), or the Wordpress Admin?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

yes sir I am talking about "Control Panel (Cpanel) with Psek that hosts our multisite install and our bluewaterclick.com domain" and hopefully you can also see "gallagherebc.com" in there too :slight_smile:

• sixdegrees

Ok great. Yes I do see the gallagherebc.com one in there and I added defender.gallagherebc.com now as well. Should this take time to resolve? Still getting the main install when I type in gallagherebc.com, so that one is obviously ok, but nothing found currently when I type in defender.gallagherebc.com.

Current the redirect for defender.gallagherebc.com is /\..*$
    So you are saying I should remove those symbols and redirect that to the defender.bluewaterclick.com?

So I am just trying to understand so I have learned this next time it comes up. Does the domain mapping tool in wordpress need to stay the way I have it set up, which is defender.gallagherebc.com (custom) and defender.bluewaterclick.com (original)?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

no it does not need time to resolve but you do need to set the redirect of defender.gallagherebc.com to point to defender.bluewaterclick.com and removing whatever else is there.

and you can also remove the defender.gallagherebc.com completely from the domain mapping tool :slight_smile: though this should work regardless :slight_smile:

We are completely bypassing it :slight_smile:

Gotta go for now, but hopefully this job is done :slight_smile:

If not I shall catch up to you in the morning :slight_smile:

• sixdegrees

Phil,

The CNAME is set up with netfirms where I have the defender.gallagherebc.com hosted. I have attached a screen shot to how that is set up. I did park defender.gallagherebc.com as well as gallagherebc.com on PSEK where the multisite install is hosted. gallagherebc.com goes to the right place (just the basic bluewaterclick.com site where we don't have anything set-up), but defender.gallagherebc.com does not.

I have attached several screenshots here and tried to label by what they are so it will make more sense. I am sure this is a simple thing that I have either overthought or overlooked, but am not explaining well, so thought screeshots may be useful! Also, I noticed that this conversation is streaming across Google. Can we go private on some of these screenshots (or delete them once used for diagnostics). I would hate to give hackers what they need to access our sites:slight_smile: One thing I do have is a redirection the CPanel. I have not had to do this for any others (of course no others are subdomains like this either).

Thanks!

• sixdegrees

Oh my gosh...... I get the ID10T award!!! I KNEW it was going to be something so blatantly obvious that I had to miss it! I have just changed it and assuming that will fix! Should I remove the redirect that is set up on PSek as well? (see screenshot)

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

no big deal ..... lmao ..... I occasionally have dumb ass attacks myself ..... lol

If everything is working ok .... I say do not "fix it" if it is not broken :slight_smile:

We are certainly happy that you got it all sorted out :slight_smile:

• sixdegrees

Hey guys.... Still not working. I changed the CNAME and it appears to have propagated, but still not working. Other than changing the CNAME of the defender.gallagherebc.com to point to the IP (instead of itself...lol) I have changed nothing from the above screenshots. Any other thoughts?

• sixdegrees

Hello ... calling out for help here. I have done all of the above. Screenshots of set-up are all still the same EXCEPT I changed the CNAME for defender.gallagherebc.com to point to the IP address for my multisite (shown inside domain mapping tool). That didn't fix. I went in and removed the redirect in the CPanel (since it didn't exist on any of the others and they seemed to be working) and that did not fix. I am so lost as to why this is not working? Any help appreciated!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

well there is a lot to cover here ..... lol

lets start this mission from the very beginning and I shall go step by step with you and we should be able to resolve it in just a little while - are you game and have time now?

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

all right I think we have contact Houston :slight_smile:

Lets see if we can hammer this out now :slight_smile:

Our current Mission it to get defender.gallagherebc.com resolving to defender.bluewaterclick.com and defender.bluewaterclick.com is working perfectly?

Sorry I do not have Google Talk :slight_frown: are you stateside?

• sixdegrees

Joe,

Yes that is the current need. I have carried out the steps as shown in the screen shots above. I then as suggested changed the CNAME appropriately. That still did not make it work. I then removed the redirect from the CPanel of PSEK since none of my other similar set-ups had that in place and that did not make it work either. So stumped....Any thoughts. Sorry I suck so badly to catch up to. It's hard to keep a close eye on the forum and I keep seeming to miss you popping in!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Hey sixdegrees :slight_smile:

OK if you have removed everything dealing with defender.gallagherebc.com

CNAMES - everything - if not do so now please :slight_smile:

but not the main domain name gallagherebc.com

now create a full domain in your control panel using the full domain name defender.gallagherebc.com as if it is a regular domain name and going to a regular web site.

Once this is done it should resolve to your regular web site place holder like it is a a regular web site waiting to be developed - confirm this in your browser :slight_smile:

Next make a redirect in your control panel for this new domain defender.gallagherebc.com, depending on the control panel the redirect should look something like http://defender.gallagherebc.com/ redirecting to http://defender.bluewaterclick.com/

That's it, it should now resolve correctly :slight_smile:

PS: after using Google talk for the first time tonight helping another member named mark - I tried contacting you but it appears to this moment you have not accepted the invitation so I typed it in here above :slight_smile:

• sixdegrees

ok, I am removing all references to defender.gallagherebc.com now. gimme just a sec to run through all of those areas ....

by creating a full domain name in the control panel, are you referring to literally purchasing another full domain?...

• sixdegrees

I gave the thanks with the Thank this user button, but seriously I cannot thank you enough for resolving this issue. You really stuck it out with me to the end to get it resolved and I REALLY appreciate you having taken all of this personal time over multiple days to assist little ol me!! Thanks again!!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.