Need help with the right plugin....

I have been trying everything i can to make this functionality work, and am still coming out at a loss.
Here is my situation:
I have a client that wants to sell access to a variety of tutorials.
there is a site that he really loves, that has this functionality very clean and well done. it is http://www.daturaonline.com

the way they do it, is that someone can see a small clip of the video, and then either purchase access to the video for a set price for a short period of time (they call it a rental) or they can subscribe to the site for a monthly fee. this is all handled with small "add to cart" style buttons and a shopping cart in the upper right hand corner, with a sign-in and free sign-up functionality ect. it seems simple, but it is very complicated.

i have tried to implement both Pay Per View and Membership, both of which have many drawbacks and niether of which have the functionality that we are looking for. Pay Per View is close, but there is no way to have a shopping cart.. and the access is limited to one computer with the One time view.

are there any plugins in WPMUDEV that can do what we are looking for?

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for the post.

the site you mentioned, is not a wordpress site but Magento which is a full blown dedicated e-commerce software which is why it uses the cart functions.

you could use marketpress i suppose.

you then post a preview video as the product description, then set a download link to the full video file, so it sets the product as a digital download. then when a person purchases the item, they can download the full video. you can set a time limit on the download i believe or that it can only be downloaded x amount of times, after that period of the time, the download URL provided will no longer function.

another way would be to use membership plugin and create a subscription level, however, that is definitely not the same as pay-per-view as it wouldn't provide access to just 1 item, it would be all or nothing.

I can see your dilemma there. i think the best method is the marketpress way. however, that would actually give them the video as a download.

I can't think of any other way of achieving it, let me ping @Timothy Bowers to see if he can suggest something.

hope this helps.

thanks.

• Timothy Bowers

The closest thing we have are the two plugins you have used.

You could do this through protected categories maybe. So you have a free one where all the samples go. And then you have premium ones for each subject.

You can use shortcodes like:

[subscriptiontitle subscription="2"]
    [subscriptiondetails subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionprice subscription="2"]
    [subscriptionbutton subscription="2"]

Replace the number with the ID of the subscription.

If you're building out this site for a client then a real easy thing to do would be to use do_shortcode and have those shortcodes embedded in the theme. Then create some input fields so that they can enter what subscription each post relates to.

That would be relatively easy for a web developer to do.

The whole one off signup for singular videos would be more complex, and would require some custom coding if you wanted it to work like Pay Per View as well.

Maybe some kind of courseware plugin might help?

http://chrislema.com/teaching-with-wordpress-sensei-wp-courseware-premise/

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.