Need help with WPMU installation without affecting SEO articles

Previously I had the post below answered. However, my web guy said that he did not think the person trying to help had understood him.

I posted under that topic again and have had no reply, so I am putting in a new request and guiding you to the original post. This is pretty urgent.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/problem-with-switching-from-single-wordpress-installation-to-wpmu-installation

This is the last post - see attached image.

Judie

• Timothy Bowers

Hey Judie, just took a look at your other thread.

Its marked resolved so that might be why it was missed. Please accept my apologies about that.

Is your web guy a WordPress developer you hired? Or is this just someone with helping you out, just trying to gauge if they have done anything this before or not......

WordPress Multisite is WordPress with a couple of options changed to a file or two.

Full information is here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/wpmu-manual/creating-a-network-to-enable-wordpress-multisite/

And here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

As for importing other sites (additional ones from the main site), you can import them into WordPress from WordPress (and some other systems) set up the same permalink structure and then when ready to move your site from the old one use our domain mapping plugin.

All the urls and domain will be the same then for any sub sites as well.

Hope this helps, if you need anything else just let us know.

Take care

• Timothy Bowers

Just saw in your title "Problem with switching from single Wordpress installation to WPMU installation"

But missed the part about the pre-existing install which was subdirectory..... :-s

So its not a single WordPress install, its a multisite which was turned off?

Open your WP-Config.php and change:

define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', false );

To

define( 'SUBDOMAIN_INSTALL', true );

Also check your htaccess is using the subdomain version. All new sites should be subdomains now.

You then need to go through your database and change any sub directory site urls to sub domain urls.

If you don't have any, its easy, if you have loads then it will take a little while.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Oh..... And htaccess should look something like this for subdomains:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]

# uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?files/(.+) wp-includes/ms-files.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?wp-admin$ $1wp-admin/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule ^ - [L]
    RewriteRule  ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(wp-(content|admin|includes).*) $1 [L]
    RewriteRule  ^[_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/(.*\.php)$ $1 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
  • GNM

He converted my single site installation to WPMU. He has done a backup. Multisite is installed but it has not had the network switched on.

I want to add top level domains (eg. http://www.mysite.com) as well as sub-domains (www.yeah.mysite.com) . He has backed everything up already.

He found another installation of WPMU on my host - so it has confused things a bit. I installed it with another top level domain name.

He wants to know if he should do a fresh install of WPMU which would mean taking down my site and reinstalling - but I don't want to lose my ranking.

Should the / be /wp-admin still with a wpmu installation OR /wpmu-admin?

Cheers
    Judie

• Timothy Bowers

Hey.

He converted my single site installation to WPMU. He has done a backup. Multisite is installed but it has not had the network switched on.

If Multisite is installed then it should be activated? Although I presume in wp-config multisite is turned off, is that what you mean?

He wants to know if he should do a fresh install of WPMU which would mean taking down my site and reinstalling - but I don't want to lose my ranking.

Nah he doesn't need to, just change the current one as I instructed in my posts.

Should the / be /wp-admin still with a wpmu installation OR /wpmu-admin?

It will still be /wp-admin/

I want to add a new site but i want to be able to add top level (see last post). So you say the domain mapping plugin will do this? At the moment it only allows sub-domains.

Thats how WordPress works.

If you have the domain name mapping plugin installed then you go add the domain on the specific site it needs mapping to:

Admin --> Settings --> Domain Mapping.

Thats for each specific site. You then add the new top level domain you wish to map to that sub site.

Looking at your images, do you have it converted to sub domain now?

Take care.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.