Need meta data (reviews, ratings, etc) to show on all pages.

I wouI would like the meta data to display next to the listing on all pages where listings on shown (search result, archive, listings, etc.) I am talking about something very similar to the screen shot that you are using on this site for this plugin. Is there an easy way to do this?
Thanks

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

Thats pretty much theme dependant and controlled by your design. With some CSS you could also move those items about.

As this would require edits to your archive and search pages you will need a developer to make those changes for you unless you are comfortable with coding it yourself.

Although not currently possible, I think a couple of default templates for layouts could be an option for the plugin to carry. Like our Fundraiser plugin does. What do you reckon?

Take care.

• Clifford P

1) Yes, I agree several custom themes to choose from would be a welcome enhancement.

2) I was searching the forums for more information on the 'supposedly' included theme, mentioned at https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wordpress-directory/ here:

Theme Optional
    The new Directory Plugin comes with a gorgeous theme (checkout the screenshots!) which allows you to quickly and easily get an entire directory website running in a matter of minutes. The theme comes with a variety of color styles to choose from and any detail can be easily customized further through the use of a child theme.

Where is this theme from all the screenshots?

And I don't see these options:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/projects/164/screenshots/2021973465_directory54.jpg
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/projects/164/screenshots/1352385892_directory53.jpg
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/projects/164/screenshots/1262186249_directory52.jpg
    (and this one looks different than my wp-admin's left and right sidebars) https://premium.wpmudev.org/wp-content/projects/164/screenshots/611739691_directory42.jpg

Are those screenshots current? I just re-downloaded/re-installed today to double-check.

3) How do I activate the top banner / advertisement section that is mentioned in the readme file?

Thank you.

• Grrrrrr

<Hey there.

<Thats pretty much theme dependant and controlled by your design. With some CSS you could also move those items <about.

<As this would require edits to your archive and search pages you will need a developer to make those changes for you <unless you are comfortable with coding it yourself.

<Although not currently possible, I think a couple of default templates for layouts could be an option for the plugin to carry. <Like our Fundraiser plugin does. What do you reckon?

<Take care.

Timothy, that's one of the problems I have with this site and many other WordPress plugin and theme developers. If developers are going to give a description and even a screen shot of something they are selling and somebody buys something based on that information then that is what they should get it's as simple as that. I am Software developer (sql, C/S, etc.) of 24 years but not a php/html/css developer and when I buy a plugin or theme that tells me i don't have to program but in the end I either do have to program or pay somebody to do what it's supposed to do it's a bit frustrating. This has been the case with numerous other plugins and themes from this site and others. I don't want to be a naysayer or negative but when you keep spending money on things that don't work it's hard to refrain. In this case you guys could have easily included the exact directions on getting the post to look exactly like what you have displayed. Or you could have even supplied the file and the css code that would optionally be used. I've already gone over to DirectoryPress to see what they have to offer and their directory is pretty cool but no matter how many times I install it there is an unacceptable delay when loading the front page that seem to think doesn't exist. So as of now I have bought to 2 Directory options and can't use either one.

I want to use directory from this site because then I could make my own theme using Artisteer so the option to use the default theme doesn't work for me either.

Sorry for the public venting but I'm sure you understand.

• Timothy Bowers

No need to apologise for the public venting.

Many of the support staff here also use these plugins for their own client projects and so often we share the same thoughts which we do of course feedback to our developers.

when I buy a plugin or theme that tells me i don't have to program

This generally refers to the use of the plugin in the manner it is described.

The screenshots you see on the page are done with the theme which we ship in Directory. Of course all themes are different. So if you have a different theme the styling and layout is left to that theme except for the basics of course.

Your will feedback will be passed on to our developer along with a request to have a few template layout options.

Take care.

• Clifford P

I have to agree with Grrrrr that there have been WAY more bugs or not-soon-enough updates for some plugins and themes. I NEVER expected to have to deal with so many issues; in fact, I didn't expect ANY issues. I have an idea that WPMU DEV itself isn't satisfied with its performance, and I hope we all agree that user experience and plugin/theme quality really needs to be stepped up. If that means $5 more per year or month, fine, but any amount of money for stuff that's broken isn't as good as the free alternatives and paying freelance coders. I REALLY WANT to rely on WPMU DEV's plugins (especially plugins, not so much themes), but I have lost a bit of faith. I hope it gets consistently restored in time.

• Timothy Bowers

Well I'm not sure what I can say clifford. I started here as a user as well in fact many of the support that are here did. We also rely on these plugins and themes for our clients as well.

To improve support we are now at 7 members on the support staff and we are working hard to be prompt obviously when we have a burst of activity it isn't always possible to be as quick and once a developer is pinged we then have to wait as well.

I'm really sorry you lost a little faith but even under constructive criticism we are still here working at fixing any problems and not shying from any mistakes we make.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Grrrrrr

<This generally refers to the use of the plugin in the manner it is described.
    Not a good answer... and I'm just playing with you but.... I have a very simple freshly install WP Compliant theme and I turned on the plugin and followed the very limited instructions and it low and below it looked nothing like the screenshot that I bought based on.

<The screenshots you see on the page are done with the theme which we ship in Directory. Of course all themes are <different. So if you have a different theme the styling and layout is left to that theme except for the basics of course.
    Then I see that there is theme I can use so I installed it and once again not only did it not look like the screenshot it looked like my 5 year old made it.

Then a little later I find out that all the stars and ratings stuff needs yet another plugin (at least put some of this in the information).

Plus, there are a few other issues with the Edit and Delete in the UI that I don't have time to get into right now.

<Your will feedback will be passed on to our developer along with a request to have a few template layout options.

I have 24 years of experience as 4gl GUI C/S developer to the fortune 500, so let me give you guys some friendly advice or at least something to think about. If I turned something into one of my clients that worked like most of this stuff I'd be shown the door. Unfortunately I'm not a php programmer or even an html programmer for that matter so I am dependent on you php programmers. So again, my advice would be to look at each app you put out your job, your reputation, and your career depends on it because there are people out here paying for this stuff and if we had time on our hands we'd be doing this stuff ourselves. Again just some well-intended friendly advice to make the WP and PHP world a better place. Maybe I should apply for QA job because none of this kind of stuff would get past my desk.

Again sorry if I'm coming off a bit harsh but times are tough out there and I for one am tired of paying for stuff that doesn't work.

Btw. At this point I would appreciate it if he developer could contact me and I will outline all the issues and maybe even pay (a reasonable fee) to put it all together for me.
    Have a good one.
    Grrrr ---- now you know why I chose that name. :wink: But at least I didn't choose GRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :wink:
    Jerry

• Arnold

Directroy is undergoing a major rewrite, mainly because of it's past history. It started as a special purpose theme and an attempt was made to extract the functionality for a plugin that would work with any theme.

The programmer that started that is no longer here and I inherited the project recently. It really involves three projects, Directory, Classifieds and CustomPress. Directory and Classifeds need to work together but choices were made that have them interferring with each other. Things like tracking capabilities by user roles and having different user roles for Directory and Classifieds. Since Wordpress only supports a single user role per user, how do you let a user buy both types of ads on one system. This is part of what I'm untangling hopefully without breaking what people are currently using.

It also needs to work properly with Multisite, and there's a long list of feature requests.

It's taking longer than I would like but I prefer Right to Right Now. If you want to play with my current code an dmake some suggestions let me know were I can send you a copy. arnold at incsub dot com

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.