Need More Secure Option for Password Protecting Single Page

Howdy!

Okay. Let me first say that I love your stuff. The support you guys give is top notch in my book and I am glad to have a team ready to help me out. So thanks for that.

Now that I have buttered you up with compliments I hope you can help.

I cannot login to a password protected page that I have. And I have tried many things and many suggestions, including the following:

I have completely dumped the cache, locally and from the host server.
I have recreated the page.
I have disabled plugins.
I have switched to the default theme.
I have taken suggestions to add code to the wp-config.php file.
I have deleted the .htaccess file
I have attempted to add other lines of code that were suggested to only find that it was already done.
I have edited the wp-login.php file to make suggested edits.
And last week I reverted to a week old backup and I thought I had fixed the problem only to come back into the office today and find that it was not working again.

Then I come to find out that the built in WordPress password protect actually has a cookie that leaves the user logged in for 10 days. (Yes I already made the change to drop it to '0') That still did not even fix my problem.

I am thinking that there might be some caching issue as I have seen other references to that in your support forums. However, given that the security provided by the password protect option is not really going to meet needs and there is this looming problem, I just want to ask for help on implementing a better solution for password protecting a page.

Something that requires a complete login, versus just a password would be great. And something that is not creating a potential cookie problem so that the page always remains secure even from trusted computers.

How can I secure my page in a . . . well . . . more secure way? :o)

Thanks in advance for any help that you can provide.

Patrick

Hi there Albert

I hope you're well today!

However, given that the security provided by the password protect option is not really going to meet needs and there is this looming problem, I just want to ask for help on implementing a better solution for password protecting a page.

The best option I can suggest is to use our Membership2 plugin to create a simple membership plan that includes access to whichever pages, or other content elements, that you want to protect from prying eyes.

You can set up the membership plan with as much, or as little, protected content as you want... even a single page if that's all you need. You can make the membership plan(s) paid (with or without recurring payments) or free, indefinite or finite access. You can even set content to become available on a set schedule.

But even if you just want to grant access to content to a select few users, with no payment involved, Membership2 can handle that with ease. All you would need to do is add those users manually to the membership plan, and they would instantly have access.

Any users not on that plan would be redirected to another page of your choice any time they try to access any protected content.

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/