Need some help styling my marketplace

I’ve been cleaning up my marketplace layout a little. But there are a few things that I just can’t get.

http://teatra.de/marketplace

1. I want to bring the product name down below the image. I’ve tried using position: absolute, which gets it in the right direction, but undoes the over flow control.

2. I want to change Buy Now to a different call-to-action like Learn More or something like that, but ideally I want that change to be upgrade proof. I know I can just change it in the existing code, but is there a way to change it otherwise?

3. Remove products that don’t have a featured image. As you can see, I’ve got a lazy seller who (despite my encouraging words) has yet to add a featured image to several of her products. How do I add a filter to my php code (my marketplace is built by a template file) to prevent those products from being displayed?

• Chris
    • The Bug Hunter

I want to bring the product name down below the image.

Your best way of managing this is to change the order in your marketpress template so that image is printed first. I’d probably suggest just adding a new shortcode, like in the MarketPress grid plugin, to avoid editing core.

I want to change Buy Now to a different call-to-action like Learn More or something like that, but ideally I want that change to be upgrade proof.

If you make a plugin to change the order things are displayed, you could also change the message text, all without editing

Remove products that don’t have a featured image.

Again, this would be simple using some logic : if mp_product_image exists, print data, otherwise do nothing.

If you need more info, happy to look into this later today.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

I’d probably suggest just adding a new shortcode

Or you could create template files in your theme and copy the existing code from MarketPress into it for tweaking.

I want to change Buy Now to a different call-to-action like Learn More

The safest way to do this is by providing a translation for MarketPress, which just those words changed.

Phil

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Saunt,

I’d definitely recommend some custom theme templates to get the exact look you want. And then as Phil said, using the translation file would be a simple way to get different text without editing the plugin.

Checkout marketpress/marketpress-includes/template-functions.php and

marketpress/marketpress-includes/themes/Themeing_MarketPress.txt for more information on how to do this. It should be relatively simple to combine one of your theme’s page templates with the functions from MarketPress to get exactly what you want.

Also, you may want to look at a couple of the themes for MarketPress we’ve produced such as SimpleMarket and GridMarket. They have specific marketpress pages.

Thanks!

• cstevenson
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

The easiest way to sort out your posts with a missing feature image is to add a plugin that uses the first uploaded image as a feature image. There are a couple that either do this on thefly. Or add a permanent featured image.

I can let you know the ones I’ve used if it helps

Carl

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.