Need some help to configure membership. I have a simple

Need some help to configure membership. I have a simple application....school website with 2 categories of members .... visitors and staff.
I want to use the membership plugin to create a staff portal which is private content (pages and blog posts) for staff only.
Staff content is all being placed on a secondary menu so it never features in the main menu.

I want

1. General material (existing and new content) to be visible to all by default ... I don't want to set access rules every time we add content where there are no restrictions.

2. Existing and New staff content to be set as visible to staff members only by default for posts into designated blog categories and pages placed on secondary menu.

I have tried playing around with it and I was able to set what I wantfor existing content but it seems I have to add access settings individually for every piece of new content which is going to be way to much effort to manage.

Can I set global rules

All content is visible to all except when posted in xxx blog categories or on xxxx menu.

• Tyler Postle

Hey Brad,

Hope you're doing well today!

I have a simple application....school website with 2 categories of members .... visitors and staff.

For this you can simply create 2 access levels, which you likely already have :slight_smile:

1. General material (existing and new content) to be visible to all by default ... I don't want to set access rules every time we add content where there are no restrictions.

In this case it's best to set negative rules for the visitor access level then they will be able to see everything except what you set in the negative field.

2. Existing and New staff content to be set as visible to staff members only by default for posts into designated blog categories and pages placed on secondary menu.

You can use the categories and menu access rules(screenshot attached) to restrict these from the visitor level or grant them to the staff level - then every post in that category will be accessible by staff and not visitor :slight_smile:

Can I set global rules

All membership access levels need to be set site by site. Are you using membership on multiple sites in a multisite network?

Hope this helps!

Let us know if you need any further assistance Brad :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.