Need some help with the theme

Hello,
I've just recently changed the theme to your social theme since my old theme lacked compability with the newest wordpress and buddypress installations. And I of course wants to take advantage of all the functionalities the theme has to offer and tweak it to my liking.

First thing is:

I am trying to understand how the gallery settings work in the theme options. I can't seem to grasp how you do to get featured posts into there or is it images that go there?
A tutorial on that feature would be appreciated :slight_smile:

I found the child theme *edit*. I do have a question regarding child themes aswell. How does it work when the theme gets updated and you use a child theme with the old code? Won't you have to manually redo all the changes you've made in child themes to get the latest version?

I will most likely have more questions later regarding this theme since I've just started working with it but these questions are the ones I'd love to have answered now :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Robert

• NetPotion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

I do have a question regarding child themes aswell. How does it work when the theme gets updated and you use a child theme with the old code? Won't you have to manually redo all the changes you've made in child themes to get the latest version?

Nope, that's the purpose of using a child theme. Your changes will be protected from upgrades. ; )

~ Corey

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi Robert,

The 'gallery' feature relies on the Featured Images for the Posts in the list and you can simply add in as many posts as you like to it by specifying their ids as illustrated here:

Child themes inherit their parent theme's functionality and changes made in the child will persist when updates to the parent theme are made.

You'll find more on that here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/the-buddypress-manual/what-are-parent-and-child-themes/

And also right from the codex:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Child_Themes

-David

• Dukeswe
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi, What I meant with the child theme question is: If i for example make a new header.php for my child theme and copy everything from the parent themes header and then remove some stuff from it and edit other aspects. Quoting:
    "So if the same file is in the child and in parent the file in the child theme will control that aspect of the theme."

Doesn't that mean that if the header.php in the parent theme gets updated with new code that the child theme won't benefit from that since the child theme controls that aspect of the theme?

Also I've noticed something with the posts id. I can't seem to be able to take posts from blogs on the network since it only´seems to detect posts from the main blog. Is this intented?

Also I am abit on a loss with how the featured image for the gallery option works. I've added a featured image to the post but it just flashes briefly on page load and then I just see the default block color. How do I successfully add a featured image to the gallery? :slight_smile:

Thanks
    Robert

• NetPotion
    • The Incredible Code Injector

The header.php should over-ride whatever is in the core. Additions and removals will carry over. If there are improvements in any given update to that particular file - then unfortunately, no - you won't benefit from them as far as I know.

I can't speak to the other issues you've mentioned, but you might want to consider adding new posts for each of them so they can be properly seen and addressed. Adding several issues to one thread can lead to it getting buried and unaddressed by accident.

Hope this helps a little anyway =)

~ Corey

• Dukeswe

That is what I thought concerning child themes. Why I am abit hesistant to using them.

With the gallery theme I noticed that if you use post id's it doesn't work very well (broken?) But if you instead use category id and have atleast 2 posts in that category the gallery seems to work fine :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help.
    /Robert

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Just checking in to see how things are going with this one and if you need any further help. :slight_smile:

We haven't heard from you on this thread for a while. So I'm going to presume your all fixed up now and don't need any further assistance.

However if you have more questions or need some more help then please feel free to respond in this thread or create a new one and we will be more than happy to offer assistance. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• Dukeswe

Hey,
    We ended up not using this function of the theme in the end. I got outvoted :disappointed:
    And just to note, the posts setting for gallery seems to be broken while using the category option works much better.
    Something you might want to look into.

Cheers
    Robert

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.