Wordpress Custom Menus and Sidebars

Hello,

I need a bit of help setting up MarketPress. First off, I must say that I am very new to Wordpress and all my problems might be due to that fact.

List of Attachments:
The Store page - (attachment voz-store.png)
The Products page - (attachment voz-products-page.png)
The Product Detail page - (attachment voz-product-detail-page.png)
The Shopping Cart page - (attachment voz-shopping-cart.png)
The Checkout page - (attachment voz-checkout.png)

I changed the shortcode in on our “Store” page to display products. I also setup a sidebar, which displays nicely on this page. In doing so, the “Products” page seems redundant. The “Products” page also does not display a sidebar. Is there a way to easily remove “Products” from the dropdown menu and/or add a sidebar to “Products” or other suggestion?

I would also like to add the custom sidebar I created for the “Stores” page to the “Product Detail” page and the “Shopping Cart”. The “Checkout” page should probably have a different sidebar. At the moment all the pages are displaying the “Primary” sidebar. I noticed that each store widget has a checkbox for “Only show on store pages”. This would probably work if I included these widgets in the “Primary” sidebar, but then I would have other widgets displaying that I do not want on the store. So how do you add/change sidebars for pages without a page? Do I create a page and then insert shortcodes? I thought I might but could not figure out what shortcodes to use.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated in setting MarketPress up correctly. I would like to see some “Live” MarketPress sites also.

Thanks,
Rhek

• 3SixtyEvolve

Hi Rhek

Welcome to WPMU DEV and thank you for being a member!

I have to say, from your screenshots you're doing a pretty good job for someone just starting off with WordPress :slight_smile:

Now for your questions:

Is there a way to easily remove “Products” from the dropdown menu and/or add a sidebar to “Products” or other suggestion?

You should be able to achieve this by creating a custom menu in WordPress. Please see this link for step by step guidance:

http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/

Next question. You can create new sidebars for your website by following the steps in the link below. You then assign the newly created sidebar to a specific page. I would say this is better than creating pages and trying to work with shortcodes.

http://www.blogohblog.com/adding-extra-sidebar-to-your-wordpress-theme/

Hope this information is helpful. Please don't hesitate to be in touch should you need any further assistance. And just keep doing what you're doing - it looks good!

Have a good day.

Gina

I will resolve this thread, but please don't hesitate to reopen it if you still require additional feedback from our Support Team. Just select the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (otherwise we might miss your new post).

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.