Need suggestion for Membership 2 Pro.

We use the Membership plugin with the Standard Paypal gateway. We have a member whose membership expired. However as he's trying to re-sign up for the same membership, he's unable to do so as Memberhip generates the new invoice under the same invoice number and Paypal sees this as having already been paid. Please advise.

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Jen,

Hope you're doing well.

I checked the account in question and see that the member in question has recurring membership assigned, so I'm wondering how exactly the expiration happened since the PP payments should be automated?
    Did the member cancel his subscription from your site or from PayPal or the payment failed somehow so he got expired?

Please advise.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David @ BBS

Hi Predrag!

Thanks for the quick response. I believe he tried to suspend (cancel) it because they were going out of town for the summer. However I don't know if he canceled it directly on Paypal or our website. I have reached out to him and will update you as soon as I have an answer.

Having said that, I'm attaching all the info I do have acccess to. Interestingly I can see that Kevin's membership (along with one other) has a "Canceled" state on Paypal, rather than suspended. Which I guess could explain the problem. The question is how did it get Canceled and how do we un-cancel it?

Thanks!

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Apologies for the delay, I was away for the weekend and it was quite a busy one so our weekend team didn't had time to cover this.

What I did on Friday is that I configured my test installation so I had one day recurring payments and subscribed with one account that I later on canceled in PP instead of the site so I could see what will happen when membership expires and I try to subscribe again.

And I got the same result, I couldn't finish PP payment due to the existing invoice, which is left there because the account was canceled from PP instead through the site.

What I did as a workaround is that I went to Membership 2 > Billing and from there I removed the invoice for that member.
    Next thing that I did, and your member will need to do, is go to the membership list page and cancel the current membership which should be showing as pending.
    After the he should be able to subscribe again and finish the payment via PP.

Let us know if that worked for you.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David @ BBS

Hi Predrag!

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot this. Glad to hear that you were able to recreate the same result. (as much as it sucks that there's a bug, at least we're finding it, so that's always good!)

As part of my own efforts to troubleshoot this before reaching out to you, I had previously removed the user's invoice from the Membership 2 > Billing area and created a brand new one in hopes that it would generate a new invoice number, unfortunately, no luck. It regenerated under the same number.

As a temporary workaround we had manually generated a new invoice for that membership for that user and manually marked it as paid in order to get the membership re-activated. But it's always under the same invoice number. So PP won't process it. ;-/

Last month (when the renewal problem first appeared), I had manually set the user's membership status to Deactivated. We then had him re-sign up for the same membership in hopes that it would generate a new invoice number. Unfortunately it didn't. Still the same invoice number, so no luck with PP.

Since the membership is currently active, it won't show up as pending in the membership list. So we'll have to wait till the end of the month for that.

Do you believe that if the client cancels their membership on their own (rather than us doing it for him from the M2 control panel), and then re-signs up for the same membership, the system will generate a new invoice number?

Thanks!
    David

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Since the account was canceled via PayPal the status of the subscription didn't update properly in the plugin itself, I have notified devs about this so they can check what could we do to fix that in future releases.

In my test installation I got the same issue with existing invoice as you did but when I did the steps mentioned above I was able to re-subscribe.
    So removing the invoice first via admin account and then with member account canceling the pending payment.
    Since the invoice is now gone the new one was able to be created normally and I was subscribed again, so you should follow these steps on the next expiration for that member.

Best regards,
    Predrag

• David @ BBS

Great. Will try and let you know how it goes. Thanks for testing and your help on this matter.

Quick question. Since we manually set the users invoice as paid, I assume that it will be paid one-time and once the current month cycle ends it won't auto-renew but instead mark the membership as pending, with an invoice pending payment? Please confirm.

On a slightly secondary topic, what is the best way to gift users a courtesy free membership period? I feel like there are a couple methods and I want to make sure that our customer representatives aren't giving out free months that auto-renew into extended periods of no-payment. Is it best to go into the user's membership details and manually mark their membership as active? Or to do it via the Billing page and mark the invoice as paid? Or a different way?

Thanks!
    David

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi David,

Quick question. Since we manually set the users invoice as paid, I assume that it will be paid one-time and once the current month cycle ends it won't auto-renew but instead mark the membership as pending, with an invoice pending payment? Please confirm.

Yes, since you manually marked it as paid the invoice is not connected to his PayPal account yet and the new payment won't be able to be processed in order to extend the membership.
    However I believe that his membership will be set to expired and you will need to remove that invoice and then let me member subscribe again.

As for the second question, when you add a membership to one of your members you can click on the subscription details and in there you can set the expiration date of the membership, and since it was manually added, when the date kicks in it will remove the membership from that member.

Best regards,
    Predrag