Need to be able to purchase a fraction of a product – eg fabric .2 of a metre

Hi there

I need customers to be able to buy in fractions.

The businesses on my site need to add their fabric by the metre – so they have 20 metres at $15 a metre.

The shopper needs to be able to select that they want to buy 0.1 of a metre or 0.25 of a metre.

The business needs to be able to select that they want to sell in increments of say .1 of a metre or .25 etc.

The price should automatically work itself out in the shopping cart.

How do I do this?

cheers

Stef

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Stef,

I don’t think by default this is something that can be done.

Something may be able to be done by using the variations feature of Marketpress, but by default I believe it goes up in price and can’t go down.

I’ll have a play around with it later on today and get back to you :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @stef

Yes, as Jack mentioned, MarketPress doesn’t have that ability out-of-the-box. There is the ability to create variations of one product, so you could create different increments there, for example 1 metre at $x, 2 metres at $x and so on. Unfortunately though there’s no easier way to do it, I’m afraid…

Look forward to see if Jack (our Coding Monkey member) can come up with any other suggestions :slight_smile:

Have a great day.

Gina

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Stef,

I’ve taken a look and it’s going to require some custom coding to get something that’s a bit eaiser to get that done.

But with variations you could sort of do it, say for example you create a product, let’s say red fabric, on the varations, name the varations 0.1 metre, 0.25 metre etc and change the price as you wish. I don’t know if this is really suitable for what your doing though.

Are you using a wordpress multisite with multiple store owners or is this just your site?

Let me know :slight_smile:

@gina B Hi :slight_smile:

Thanks.

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• Miss B Hayving
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Hi Jack

Variations would kinda work – except that it wont keep proper track of inventory, so I really need it coded.

I do run a multisite with multiple store owners that would get benefit from this – but mostly that’s not needed for them. This is for a specific stand alone wp site at the moment, tho I will probs need to get it coded for ms too at a later date.

Do you mind if I pm you?

cheers

Stef

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi Stef,

I did think that, it would sort of keep track of inventory though, if you tick the box on each varaition and enter the number you have in stock, but then I suppose you may take a sheet and cut how much they want off or something like that?

Sure feel free to PM me, you can reach me jack(at)coding-monkey.com (I have recently updated that mailbox and DNS settings, if I don’t recieve that email also send it to perpixeldesign(at)gmail.com

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack (Coding-Monkey).

• 3SixtyEvolve
    • New Recruit

Hi @stef

I am just checking in to see if you managed to work out something with @coding-monkey. Sorry I could not be of more assistance but since this requires custom coding, it is beyond the scope of support we provide on the Community.

Wish you all the best with your project!

Gina

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @stef,

Just checking in to see where we are on this issue ?

This certainly require a custom coding and you can head over to our WPMU JOBS forum and get a developer right on it.

I am afraid that is the best I can suggest as of now, unless some of our great members has got something in their kitty ! I would stay tuned !

Cheers

PC

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.