Need to convert an spreadsheet into html for viewing and to have user interaction on a website?

I have a spreadsheet created and I wish to have it place it on a web page. The spreadsheet will have some user interaction where the user will select multiple products and a total will be tallied for them to view. I wish for this functionality to be on the website, but the xls needs to be converted into html for the website?

Is there a tool (i.e. plugin or another tool) out there to use if I don't have the spreadsheet converter where I can accomplish this conversion? I did find where someone used a tool called "Tableizer", but this tool left out some important code in the conversion process. In my spreadsheet I have checkboxes where the user selects various checkboxes and depending on the checkboxes selected a total will be tallied. Tableizer did not recognize the code for the checkboxes when doing the conversion.

Thank you
Doug

• Huckleberry Press
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Jack,

Your understanding is correct.

It would be necessary for the user to check various boxes and click a total button in the sheet. This would be a .xls file for the conversion.

Thank you for your reply and I look forward to hearing back from you. Hope your day is well!!!

Doug

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Doug,

Hope you're well today and thanks for the additional information.

I've had a look around and the closest I can find is our old blog post here https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/wordpress-viewer-plugin-embed-pdfs-powerpoint-excel-word-and-more/ about this :slight_smile:

But I don't think that will allow the XLS checkboxes to work, I may be able to find a CSV alternative if you could change your XLS files to CSV? :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• Huckleberry Press
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Greetings Jack,

Thank you for getting back to me. Yes, the checkboxes, are a primary and necessary feature of this working spreadsheet. Converting from a xls to csv isn't a problem at all.

If you can find a CSV alternative that would be great!

Hope your day is a great one!
    Doug

• aristath
    • Recruit

Hello there @Huckleberry Press, I hope you're well today!

I'm afraid that using checkboxes in your xls files won't work. Not even if you convert them to CSV as CSVs don't support checkboxes, only text.
    This would have to be custom-coded...
    It shouldn't be too hard to do, but it would require you to custom-code a new plugin that will have all the fields in there and based on the user selections calculate everything.

If you're not comfortable with PHP I would advise you to post a new job on our Jobs Board on https://premium.wpmudev.org/wordpress-development/ so that a skilled developer can do that for you.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• Huckleberry Press
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello Ari,
    Thank you for checking this out for me. It is surprising to me that there isn't something out there in the way of a plugin to perform this feature. Spreadsheets have been out there for a very long time. I do know there are programs that will do that, they just aren't plugins. Hopefully one day a developer will help the community out with creating such a tool.

I appreciate your help researching this for me.

Thanks
    Doug

• Vaughan
    • Support/SLS MockingJay

Hi @Huckleberry Press,

This certainly looks like you'll need a custom plugin to handle the functionality.

I haven't tried it, but have you looked at Table Press? it has a lot of features, but providing custom search filters/functionality might not be 1 of them, however it will certainly get your CSV/XLS data displayed. Which is 1 step closer.

https://tablepress.org/demo/

Hope this helps

• Huckleberry Press
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Vaughan,

Hope you are doing well! I tried out the Table Press Plugin. It appears as though it performs very basic spreadsheet functions. I was hopeful that it had the capability to recognize the checkbox function within excel during the spreadsheet import. The spreadsheet imported great, but this functionality wasn't recognized at all.

I really appreciate you passing this information onto me.

Thanks
    Doug

• Huckleberry Press
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Vaughan,

Your help is greatly appreciated. I believe there is software out there that will do this, but with wordpress on my site I thought would be the logical to use a plugin. It isn't something I am going to be doing in great volume right now, mostly a trial at this point. I will go back to the drawing board as they say.

Thank you very much for stepping up to the plate with your research and help. It was great!!!!

Doug

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.