Need to grant access to a specific page that a user wants, for a set period of time.

We initially looked at Pay Per View for this, but it does not offer the functionality we want. It allows you to buy access to one page for one view only, but we need it to offer access to that one page (not the entire site) for six months.

So I spoke with Aaron in Live Member Support, and he recommended Membership as being incredibly powerful and able to do what we want. So I'm checking it out, but I don't see it being able to do this either.

To recap, we want to offer several of our pages on a pay-per-view basis. The purchaser would get a period of six months from the date of purchase to view only that page, and not the other pages for sale. If someone wanted two pages, they would need to make two separate transactions, and so on.

How can Membership — or Pay Per View — be set up so that people can buy access to just one page for a set period, say six months, rather than the current options?

A quick reply would be so, so appreciated, as we have a meeting soon to discuss our options.

Thanks very much!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there.

With the cookie validity set, and one time view you should be able to offer per article purchases in Pay Per View.

Visitors pay per content they want to reveal. Price can be set globally from the above "unit price" field, or per post basis using the post editor. Does not require registration of the visitor.

Then disable Daily Pass and Recurring Subscription options from the settings.

As this is based on cookie and not per account I would imagine that issues will occur over that period of time when they clear their cookies, reboot computers, etc.

I'm going to move this over to our feature request area, and then pass this back to our developer on Pay Per View to see if he can incorporate Pay Per view into account use, thus allowing purchases to be more longer term, assigned to a WP account and on a per page basis.

I see there being a use for per page/post time durations as well. I'll mention this to him too.

Membership can't do a per page Pay Per View, unless each subscription was for one article for that set time, but a member can only get one subscription at a time in Membership, I suppose you could use the shortcodes on each page so they could signup from that page. With lots of articles, it means lots of separate subscriptions and levels. If Aaron advised you could do per article like Pay Per View, then unfortunately he was mistaken there as each article would need it's own level and sub, sorry about that.

Take care.

• kipley

Thanks very much for your reply, Timothy. So, it I am reading things correctly, it sounds like Pay Per View could eventually do what we want if we can get those extra features added.

I realize that this is just a preliminary discussion, and a lot has to happen before that kind of functionality could be added, but is there some way we could follow up on this to see if that will happen and, if so, when? This is a significant project for us but, while we feel like we almost have a perfect fit here, unless we get that last functionality working we just cannot use this at all.

Could you please advise how I can keep in touch on this topic and what may happen regarding a new feature?

Thanks again, Timothy!

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

I've already flagged the developer on this one. I do think that using the one off purchases and setting the cookie time should do this. The issue is that browsers have their cookies cleared. To make it more permanent it would need to tie into an account somehow, just like the Recurring and daily pass do.

Unfortunately I can't give any ETA on this sort of thing, he first asses how logical this kind of feature is, how much demand we have for it and how long it will take. He can then make his decision. :slight_smile:

When I get an update I will post back. :slight_smile:

Right now though, we are putting most of our focus on a new product which should be out very shortly. Our support team is about to start beta testing. Once that's out, then it's back to normal. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• kipley

Timothy, this has been great support; please do follow up with me on this.

Yes, the cookie approach would work, but would also open the door to a lot of frustrated customers if they clear cookies or want to view their files from a phone or other computer. I don't believe I mentioned the details, but we need them to be able to sign in from any computer to view their files, but can only see what they have "bought" once they do sign in. You have the right idea; tying the purchase to the account would do this, just as it does now for the recurring and daily passes. All the pieces are already in there; we just need to connect them.

Thanks again, Timothy. Really hoping this is given the green light. I believe it will provide significant added functionality for many of your users.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

• PC

Hi there,

Thanks for being a WPMU DEV member.

This was discussed with the developer and it is something which is on the to do list however it is something which is not possible within a short span of time. It will include rewriting the code and include support of users being able to purchase multiple subscriptions on a single account.

It already supports one time pass and recurring subscriptions but having separate subscriptions for separate posts is a bit complex.

So, it has been put on the developer's desk and is on his list as well :slight_smile:

But as Tim told that our lead developer is busy with a new product release which has kept him away from the normal work. As soon as the new product is launched, he will be on it.

Unfortunately I can't provide you an ETA but its something which even I want to be included to the plugin and will keep a track of the progress as well.

Cheers, PC

• Charlie Pryor

Hey guys, just jumping in here... but I think I've set up a similar deal with the Membership plugin, and wanted to place my setup here in case it ends up working for kipley.

So, I've got 5 different membership levels, just to see if this works with multiple levels and not just one. Then, I've got 5 separate subscriptions set up, each including 1 of the 5 access levels, and only 1.

Each access level has permission to view only 1 category period. Any posts made within that category, they can view, but only that category.

So for example, Subscription 1 has access to Access level 1. Access level one can only view Category 1, but cannot see categories 2-5. Likewise, Subscription 2 can see only access level #2, and Access level #2 only has access to see category #2, but not 3-5, or number 1.

With this setup, I've created multiple subscription plans each including only the category which contains the content I want them to see. Each subscription, lasts 6 months.

Each category then has only 1 post (that one page you wanted them to see). When I log in from a new account with a random subscription level, I see only the category I have access to, and the others are not accessible at all.

I imagine the same thing could be applied to pages, if they didn't want to use categories and posts. As long as no further content was added to a category, they'd never be able to see it.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about this or not (most likely not), but it appears to work in a similar way to what is desired. There are a lot of components in place, but the end-user really only sees two of them: The subscription to pay for, and then the content.

If they wanted different content, or access to a second page, they'd simply sign up for another subscription that allows access to that category. I have a user with access to two of the pages, but not three of them, for example.

• kipley

Hi Charlie.

Sorry to be slow to respond to this; didn't notice your posts until now.

While this is an inventive approach, from what I can see it would not work easily in our situation. If I understand your setup correctly, given that we have 800 different pages, and 5,000 members each randomly selecting one or two or maybe more pages they would like to view, the admin side of setting this up would be a very considerable piece of work. Would we need to set up 800 access levels, and one more every time a new page is added? Perhaps I have not quite grasped your setup, but it seems like it would be hard to implement on a large scale.

Am I missing something in how I'm seeing this?

Thanks again for your input, Charlie.

• Arnold

we really don't have anything that would do what you're looking for effieciently. I've written such things in particular a program for selling ebooks.

What you need to do is when a customer buys a page, you record with his user info the page number and the expiration date. Then you'll need a filter that looks at this info when a page is requested. and decides whether to show, expire it or to display an offer to sell it.

Unfortunately Pay per View doesn't do this. It puts up a cookie that allows access. When that cookie expires or the user erases the cookie or you move to a different machine you lose access.

Membership can sort of do it but the setup for a level is way overkill and difficult for large numbers of pages.

Marketpress would be easier to manage, but it doesn't protect pages, it would protect downloads. Each document would need to be downloaded as a file.

NOt much around that will do what you want.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.