Need to login, write report, save for later, submit, not as post all from frontend.

I run a WP site that I would like to add the ability for members to log in and write a report, save it and return later if needed to finish it and submit. This needs to be from the front end and would not be a post to the website. Upon submission it would be emailed to relevant parties.

Does anyone know of a plugin or plugins that would allow for this functionality.

Thanks,
Patrick

• Patrick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi all,

It has been two weeks since I posted this and I am still no closer to a workable solution. With no ideas coming from the community here do I assume no one has a solution or that no one has seen this post?

I have started looking into developing a plugin myself, but with my current skill set it will be a while.

Any ideas at all will be most appreciated.

Thanks,
    Patrick

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Unfortunately I haven't heard of anything exactly like that.

If you can give a little more detail I'll have another hunt around today and see if I can spot anything. Quick questions:

1) When users write their report will they need the full wordpress editor with the text formatting etc just the same as if they were writing a blog post in the backend

2) Who do the reports get emailed to? Does this system need to have the ability to have users' reports emailed to specific people? For example if it was students logging in they'd need to be assigned a specific teacher.

3) If reports do need to go to a specific person how is that person selected? By the report writer when they join? Or does the admin specify in the backend who reports go to for each person?

4) When reports are sent are they simply emailed? Or do you want the report receiver to log in and review / edit / monitor reports in the WP backend?

• Patrick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for your questions. I hope my answers help.

1) When users write their report will they need the full wordpress editor with the text formatting etc just the same as if they were writing a blog post in the backend

Yes. That is what I am looking for.

2) Who do the reports get emailed to? Does this system need to have the ability to have users' reports emailed to specific people? For example if it was students logging in they'd need to be assigned a specific teacher.

The reports need to be sent to specific people. More info in the answer to your next question.

3) If reports do need to go to a specific person how is that person selected? By the report writer when they join? Or does the admin specify in the backend who reports go to for each person?

The admin would specify in the backend. I would like the ability to add each member of the board as a permanent position, such as “Chair” with the specific email address changeable for each position. Also there are times when an ad-hoc committee may be formed and they may need to be added to the email list so I need to be able to create, edit and update positions and email addresses.

4) When reports are sent are they simply emailed? Or do you want the report receiver to log in and review / edit / monitor reports in the WP backend?

The only editing that would be done will be by the writer of the report. I would like the ability for the writer to login and begin their report and if need be, save and finish later at which time it would be emailed to all recipients predefined in the backend. Also, just to be clear, each user would only have access to the report they are responsible for.

Hope that clears it up a bit more. If not, your questions help and I will do my best to answer them. Thanks.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

The closest thing I've seen to this is WP-Client which has a private area for each logged in member and allows members to upload or download files specific to them.

Each member can be assigned a manager and they can send quick messages back and forth.

It sounds like you want something like this but with the added features of:

1) The WP formatting functions in the email editor
    2) Ability to edit a longer message (document) and save it to finish later before sending.

The WP-Client developers seem pretty open to ideas and this is something they may be able to implement.

In the short term it could be used by having users type up documents locally and then upload to their private members area so that their specified manager can then view and download the document.

Another solution (although I don't know enough about this yet to determine if it would work) might be to create a custom post type. That would allow full use of the standard WP editor. If the custom post type can be saved as a draft (not sure if that's possible either) that would allow returning to finish later.

Then once the custom post type was submitted there would need to be additional logic in place so that only the appointed "manager" would be able to access and view the submitted documents.

This may well be something that can be done with CustomPress which I've been meaning to try out.

Let's wait for one of the staff to chip in here and see if they can confirm if CustomPress is a good fit.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Just saw this post about adding the TinyMCE editor to Custom Press fields. This could be quite promising:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/how-to-add-tinymce-to-a-textarea-created-in-custompress

I'm getting a bit excited about this as it's close to an idea I want to do for a site.

So if you set up a custom post type for your report that has the ability to select the person the report is being sent to, your user can edit their report and save as draft.

When it is published, an email could be sent to the nominated recipient who can log in and view any custom report posts that have been tagged with their user id.

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Patrick! Sorry that replies are a bit slow on this. I'm absolutely flat out with urgent tasks for the next few days so I can't put aside time to help with this (although I'm very interested to do it in the near future myself).

Helping with custom coding is outside the scope of what the support staff do, so it's really depends on if a support staff member has some free time outside of their job role to help. I know they're absolutely swamped trying to catch up on a backlog of normal support queries at the moment.

Probably the best way to get this done quickly would be to post a request at the WPMU jobs site or hire someone quickly from a site like http://www.tweaky.com.

Also, it's not just a case of adding the TinyMCE editor to a page - you'll still need the rest of the framework that will accept content from users, save as draft and then send to the appropriate person. Have you figured out how you're going to do that part yet? Perhaps with CustomPress?

• Patrick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for getting back to me on this. I understand and fully appreciate that people are busy.

I have spent several hours getting acquainted with CustomPress and thought I would indeed give that approach a try. I have installed it and have played around creating custom post types. Cool so far. I figure I will just take it one step at a time adding features as I go.

Also, thanks for the reminder about this being outside the scope of support staff. I will continue uploading it to different directories until it works.

As for hiring a pro I am far from being able to do that. I am "disabled" and on a low fixed income and am trying to make this into a living. That is why I am here trying to learn everything I can. I have picked up a lot from books, online and will be back in school to learn more about web development and programming this fall.

Thank you very much for your input. It has given me direction and I will continue to play around until progress has been made.

Thanks again and best of wishes in all your endeavors.

Patrick

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Hi Patrick. I'm definitely keen to look into this as well - it's just going to take a week or so before I have time.

In the meantime let's see what else other people can suggest to help out now. If I can free up a little bit of time I'll see if I can take a look when I get the chance.

I'm gifting you some points for being a good sport and some to @Imperative for his input as well.

• Patrick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That is fantastic. Thanks for the points. Funny how such a little thing can be so exciting. hahaha.

Thank you Imperative for your contribution. I will definitely look into both. I am looking for a quick solution but also very much want to learn more about how things work.

You guys ROCK!

• Patrick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi Joe,

I must say it is at a snails pace, but yes. Haha! It is proving to be quite a challenge as I know next to nothing about php and plugin development but that is what I am tasking myself with. I was hoping to focus on other projects and put off learning php until I am back in school, but not going to happen that way. Lol.

I know that it will be rewarding and one day I will actually have something that I may be able to contribute back here.

Patrick

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

Sorry I haven't been able to help more with this - I'm currently absolutely snowed under with work I have to do. But I'm keeping on eye on this topic and aiming to free up time to look at this for my own project next week.

Good luck in the meantime Patrick!

• Patrick
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

That is quite okay phillcoxon . I totally understand. I'm not sure this topic will get much attention as it has been marked "Resolved." Not sure how this works.

None the less I thank you for the time you have spent sharing on this topic.

Best wishes,
    Patrick

• phillcoxon
    • The Crimson Coder

The staff will mark it as resolve so they know they don't have to keep coming back to try and help. Given this sort of custom coding is outside their job roles that's a good idea - keeps them focused on helping with general queries.

But I'm still subscribed to the topic to any time you post an update I'll read it and will endeavour to contribute something back as soon as I can. :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Gentlemen,

I just wanted to add that it is not only about that it is out of our job roles, actually that is not so important (job role) - but for the most part we are not coders and lack the skills necessary to resolve many of the custom coding queries, but if we can help we certainly will regardless of the job role.

Sincerely, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.