need to move multisite to it's own IP address for domain mapping

Hello,

I have recently been learning about multi site. I've had it installed for a couple years but haven't really dived in to everything that is possible. That is changing now due to your excellent articles and tools.

What I am looking to do, is set up the domain mapping for my multi site. I have done that successfully however since my multi site is on a subdirectory, to make it work, I had to add the domain to my cPanel as an "add on domain". I understand that if you have a dedicated IP address, where the default directory is your multi site installation, you don't need to add the domain as a add-on domain in cPanel.

I have a VPS. I was chatting with the support people and they told me I can have up to three IP addresses for my VPS. I did add a dedicated IP address to my VPS. They told me in order for it to have a default directory other than my current default directory on the root of my original account, I would have to create a new cPanel account. I have done that and can confirm I am able to use the domain mapping without needing to first add the domain as an add-on domain in my cPanel.

The problem is, my multi site is on my original cPanel account, not this new one. So I'm not sure if I have to migrate my entire multi site (which has about 30 sites for clients) to my new cPanel account because it is the same server technically. The new cPanel account does have a dedicated IP address that is different than my original cPanel account.

So I'm not sure if I'm missing something and maybe there is an easier way to have a dedicated IP address point to a specific subfolder/directory. If there is, that would be great because then I would need to create an entire cPanel account just to do this.

I want my clients to be able to use the domain mapping feature but right now that multi site is on my original cPanel with the original IP address. So they could do it, but I would also have to add their domain name as an add-on domain in my cPanel, which is obviously more hands-on for me.

If there is no other better way of having a dedicated IP address going straight to my multi site install, then do I need to migrate my entire multi site to my new cPanel with the new dedicated IP address?

I hope my description is clear. Thank you very much for your help.