Need to understand difference between Pro Site and Membership

Ok so I am trying to create a membership site. We have 4 levels:
Free
Legacy
Premium
Elite
Added pro site so that I can control what content Ie themes and plugins they have access to. But I am also adding in Active Campaign, Vendasta Reputation Management, A Graphics Suite of downloadable graphics and in the future will be adding access to video marketing tools as well as a complete mobile marketing suite. With that being said do I need both Pro Sites and Membership 2 are do I just use Membership2 are is this to complex for these plugins and need to look at a different membership software?

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Charles,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

Let me explain the main features of both plugins and the main difference between them.

Membership 2 Pro

This plugin is designed to protect content using a "membership model". If you wish to limit the access to posts, pages, categories, downloads etc on different levels and charge users (of course the Free access is also possible to define) for access then this is the solution.

Pro Sites

The main goal here is to charge users that create their own sites within your Multisite network. If you're planning to let users create their sites and would like to let them use some plugins/themes on their sites depending on the amount they payed (the Pro Sites level), this plugin will do the job.

That being said, if you do not plan to allow users to create their own sites but only want to restrict the usage of some features provided by plugins - you most likely will not need Pro Sites. With Membership 2 Pro you are able to protect many more parts of your site(s) than just posts and pages.

On the other hand, if you are going to allow users create their own sites, Pro Sites will be very handy here, regardless of whether you're already using Membership or not.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Ruppert Marketing!

Is there a way to protect pro sites with membership sites?

Do you wish only the members to be able to sign up for their own sites? This is possible, you just need to protect the "checkout" page.

And is there a way to set it up with a custom membership page rather than the stock membership page?

I'm not sure what do you mean by "stock" and "custom" memberships. With Membership 2 Pro you can setup and configure as many memberships as you wish and all these memberships can cover the protection rules that you define.

Is that what you asked about? Let me know please!

Cheers,
    Adam

• Ruppert Marketing

I guess I cant figure this out but without pro site I do not have the different levels to give my members access to unless they pay more inside the pro site plugin. Basically I want to be able to setup the membership site to where they sign in and depending on the level they sign into is what features they get. So for instance at the premium level I want to give them access to only 10 templates and 40 plugins and the elite level gets access to them all as the free site only has access to basic plugins and basic themes.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Charles,

Thank you for this explanation.

Basically I want to be able to setup the membership site to where they sign in and depending on the level they sign into is what features they get. So for instance at the premium level I want to give them access to only 10 templates and 40 plugins and the elite level gets access to them all as the free site only has access to basic plugins and basic themes.

It seems like a standard application of Pro Sites plugin and I think you don't need the Membership 2 Pro for this.

The workflow here would be like this:

1. Setup your networks as needed
    2. Install and configure all the necessary themes
    3. Install and network-activate Pro Sites plugin
    4. Decide whether you wish to offer a free website (apart from "premium") or not and whether you wish to offer free trial period or not
    5. Upon these decisions enable/disable the "Free Level" and "Allow Free Signup" options on the
    "Network Admin" -> "Pro Sites" -> "Settings" -> "General" page
    6. Decide whether you wish to allow users to create multiple sites or just one
    7. Upon this decision enable/disable the "Allow multiple blogs" option on the same site

7. Go to the "Network Admin" -> "Pro Sites" -> "Modules" page and activate

- premium plugins
    - premium themes

modules

8. Go to "Network Admin" -> "Pro Sites" -> "Levels" page and create

- "Premium" level
    - "Elite" level

It's enough to give names to the levels and setup prices. You do not need to create any free level here as you've already enabled it at step 5 most likely.

9. Under the "Network Admin" -> "Pro Sites" menu you'll find these two items: "Premium Plugins" and "Premium Themes".

Use each one to set a minimum level which should have access for particular plugin/theme.

10. Adjust payment gateway settings, pricing tables layout etc.

This way you should end-up with fully functional Pro Sites system that would let your users to sign-up for their own web site and depending on a level they select they'll be able to use more or less plugins/themes.

I hope this clarifies things a bit and if you need any further assistance, I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.