Need to use Snapshot with S3 via Proxy

I need SnapShot to connect to S3. Our server and network teams tell me they can only connect to S3 using the WP_PROXY_HOST setting. Does Snapshot work with this?

• Leonidas

Hi there Kevin,

as it seems, Snapshot won't work out of the box with proxies. We haven't really had much demand for using proxies in the AWS S3 buckets from our members before, so if you'll allow me to further investigate if there can be a workaround that you could use in order to properly upload your backups to S3, that would be great :slight_smile:

I will be posting any updates in the current thread to let you know of my progress.

Best regards,
    Leonidas

• Leonidas

Hello there again Kevin ,

since the last message, I tried a bunch of workarounds for using a proxy to connect to S3 but couldnt make it work. Unfortunately, it seems that the current version of Snapshot is not able to use proxies for connection to S3.

However, I know that we have scheduled a big update in the whole S3/Snapshot mechanism which could help us implement this feature in the future. I'm making an internal note about this for us to revisit when that update happens.

I'm sorry for this inconvenience, I will come back in this thread for any updates we have for this in the future.

Best regards,
    Leonidas

• Kevin

Thanks for looking into this. We would very much appreciate this feature being escalated for a sooner-rather-than-later release. Our State of California WordPress service hosts many sites; we rely on Snapshot and S3 for our backups. We like Snapshot a lot, but unless this issue gets a fix soon, we will have to find another solution. Is there an escalation process? If so, is there someone I can talk to about the Snapshot feature roadmap?

• Leonidas

Hi there Kevin ,

since there are quite a lot of to-do stuff that are being worked for Snapshot's next releases, we are working on them depending on the number of requests for them and task priorities are based on that.

To make this specific proxy feature request possible, it would require rewriting much of the code that is scheduled to be rewritten for the second-to-next release either way, so you can understand that it wouldn't make much sense to implement right now something that will need to change again right afterwards.

Once the big update in the AWS-Snapshot mechanism hits, it will be much easier to give you an ETA for this feature, but until then I've marked this for us to look into, right after the big update.

Best regards,
    Leonidas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.