Negative rules working, positives ones not in Membership plugin

Clearly I'm doing something wrong, but I thought I'd just ask if anyone else knows off the top of their head what that is.

I have a membership level that allows people only to go to two groups (there are many more available). If I use a negative rule saying they can't go to any of the groups minus the two they do have access to, it works.

If I add a positive rule saying they only have access to these two groups, the user doesn't see anything. BuddyPress says no groups found. Since I'll be adding more groups over time, I want to use the positive rule so that as the list grows, I don't have to go in and edit.

I do have a negative rule on group creation, not sure if that is relevant, but thought I'd toss it out there and see if anyone has a quick hit on it.

Thanks!

• kipprsnak

Addendum: When I have the negative rules selected, the correct groups show up in the groups list the first time, but if I refresh, a group that is public shows up as well.

Do the groups in buddypress also so have to be set up as private? So that in order for the buddypress groups permissioning to work correctly, they also need to be private or hidden? If at all possible, I'd like to make it so they can just join the groups they have access to without waiting for moderation from us. Well, what I'd actually love is a way to just put members in the groups that correspond with the classes they are taking without having to sign up at all and then boot them when the course is over, but that seems like asking a lot.

Thanks again for all your help.

• Mason

Hiya kippersnak,

Do the groups in buddypress also so have to be set up as private? So that in order for the buddypress groups permissioning to work correctly, they also need to be private or hidden?

No, my understanding is the membership plugin should work to your levels - regardless of the privacy option. I could be wrong though, so I'll ask Barry or Mohanjith to comment on this.

I'm not sure why negative rules would work and positive ones would not. Could you post some screenshots of your settings (such as the member's level page and your 'options' page as well). Again, the devs may be able to help ya further with this information.

Thanks!

• kipprsnak

Okay following up on that - strange.

So if I go to the /groups page once, I see what I expect using the negative rules, the two groups I have access to.

If I hit the "my groups" tab on that page (using bp-default theme), I see the groups I expect. If I hit the all groups tab again, I see four groups, two of which shouldn't be available. I can't see why they are available but they are. The are private groups in terms of the BuddyPress Permissions.

I feel like I am just missing a little bit of information that would make it all make sense and the problems I'm running into disappear. I know it's some configuration or other I've go going, but I can't tell where or what.

Sorry to keep bothering you.