Nelo theme glossary?

Is there any source (document, person, anything) that can explain some of the terms in the Nelo theme? I am trying to take advantage of what appears to be the customization features, but the meaning of some terms, and what outcomes I should expect from which actions, is unclear. Here's some that I am finding obscure/confusing:

What exactly is the custom homepage under Blog Main Settings? Is that an option I can toggle, or is it functional only if I make my own custom home page and add it to the theme?

Is custom post for custom homepage a Wordpress Custom Post Type, i.e. something I need plugin and customization for, or is the meaning specific to Nelo?

On the Custom Homepage section (and is this the custom homepage above?) what is the Blog Intro Header Settings? What am I supposed to see when I edit these?

I've attached some screenshots from my localhost test blog, to illustrate my confusion. You'll see that I have a custom homepage toggled, I have an image loaded for the Blog Intro Header Settings, and yet there is no such image on either my homepage or blog page. The english language meaning of the words is not being produced, so perhaps there is some theme-specific meaning?

And, why do Blog Sidebar Widgets show up on the homepage, which has a different template?

Timothy Bowers

Hey gtra1n.

What exactly is the custom homepage under Blog Main Settings? Is that an option I can toggle, or is it functional only if I make my own custom home page and add it to the theme?

The custom page allows you to define custom images and text for use on the home page.

On the Custom Homepage section (and is this the custom homepage above?) what is the Blog Intro Header Settings? What am I supposed to see when I edit these?

See screen shots for example.

Basically you enter custom post text, you then set your options to use the custom post. (custom home page and custom post)

And, why do Blog Sidebar Widgets show up on the homepage, which has a different template?

Sorry could you please elaborate further on this one?

Thanks and take care!

gtra1n

There seems to be some technical issues, then. I have the Blog Intro Header Image set as above, and a custom homepage set, and yet the image does not show up at all on my homepage. What might block that functionality?

My homepage is a page with default template, my blog page is a page with blog default template. I have an archive widget in the blog sidebar widgets area, and it shows up on the blog page, but it also shows up on the static homepage, even though it's a different (non) blog template. The functionality and the semantics are not lining up!

Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

There is no conflict there. If you set a static page in the WordPress settings, then your site will use a static page. Thats is what that feature is designed to do, overwrite the default theme front page.

If the WordPress option to do that did not replace the front page with a static one, then there would be a bug as the feature would not work as expected.

Hope this clarifies the options and I will pass feedback to the developer to see if we could maybe add a note there.

Take care.

gtra1n

Okay, I understand that functionality, although the terms used in the various settings pages are both ambiguous and ambivalent in their meaning, which is problematic for use. Some information about how using a custom homepage conflicts with a static homepage would be immensely useful.

What is strange is that turning on the custom home page feature, successfully, removes all my posts from view on the Blog page. That's a pretty bizarre design feature. Anyone have a clue as to the thinking with that? It seems pointless to include a feature on a blog theme that cripples the actual Blog.

Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

Okay, I understand that functionality, although the terms used in the various settings pages are both ambiguous and ambivalent in their meaning, which is problematic for use. Some information about how using a custom homepage conflicts with a static homepage would be immensely useful.

I've passed your feedback onto the theme developer.

What is strange is that turning on the custom home page feature, successfully, removes all my posts from view on the Blog page. That's a pretty bizarre design feature. Anyone have a clue as to the thinking with that? It seems pointless to include a feature on a blog theme that cripples the actual Blog.

Not everybody wants their front page to be the blog. This is where the options page comes in.

You can still have a custom front page, and still have it pull some posts. By using "Custom post with recent post".

This way the site webmaster can choose to have a static page with just text or one which is a little more dynamic in pulling posts.

Not everyone using WordPress uses it just for a blog, it can be used for anything.

Hope that helps.

Take care.