Network Activation + Mapped Domains

If I install the ultimate facebook plugin and network-activate it, will I be able to use the same instance on multiple blogs, which have mapped domains activated?

In other words, will I be able to use facebook connect from multiple domains, where only one application is created in facebook, instead of creating a new application for each blog?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

I believe the problem you’ll encounter with this setup is that you can only provide one URL for each app in Facebook. I could be wrong as haven’t tried:

https://developers.facebook.com/apps

While activating on a domain automatically allows it on all subdomains (thus why it works with multisite) I don’t know about several domains.

You can always give it a shot and let us know how it goes though :slight_smile:

Thanks!

• arbet
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

In that case, I have a suggestion for future versions:

Since wordpress uses the same underlying domain, both with subdomains and subdirectories setup, I suggest the facebook connect process interacts with the subdomain or subdirectory url, not with the mapped domain. This way, it would be easy to use one application for all the domains, rather than setting up one app per mapped domain.

What do you think, would it work this way? :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Samer,

Apologies for the delay on the feedback. There are several basic scenarios to consider:

1) Individual site, with individual Facebook app

2) WordPress multisite install, network activated plugin, single Facebook app

3) WordPress mutlisite install, network activated plugin, multiple Facebook apps

4) WordPress mutlisite install, plugin activated on individual sites,

multiple Facebook apps

The domain mapped sites will work with scenarios 1, 3 and 4, provided

that each site is set up with a properly configured Facebook app –

meaning, each site has its’ own Facebook app that is configured to

work with the site mapped domain. One caveat for scenario 3 is that

the network admin shouldn’t force Facebook API data to child site

owners from network settings.

Hope this helps!

• wpcdn
    • Syntax Hero

Is the domain mapping issue circumvented if we simply allow it to be activated on a blog-by-blog basis (where users have their own instance)?

If this isn’t possible, I’d really love to see a solution for this. Many multisite networks (including ours) will be using domain mapping, so it would be a shame not to be able to use Ultimate Facebook. :slight_frown:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya wpcdn,

You can actually network activate this and still allow for individual apps on individually mapped domains (as per the 3rd scenario). Just make sure you preserve individual blog API settings when updating (which is a checkbox under Network Options in the plugin).

The only issue is that each blog will need to setup it’s own facebook app and add the api settings within the WordPress admin.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.