Network Admin Cannot Access Plugins or Themes

Since the last wordpress update to 3.7.1 I am unable to access the plugins page or themes page from my network or site dashboard.

I get a page not found error.

So, I am unable to see, add or update my plugins or themes from my dashboard.

Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it?

Thanks,

JoAnn

• JoAnn
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Okay, I backed everything up and uploaded everything, made sure the .htaccess and
    wp-config.php were updated and correct.

Strange, I can access the themes now, but not the plugins.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JoAnn

• aristath
    • Recruit

I'm afraid I'll have to take a closer look at your backend to figure out what is going on...
    Could you please send some user credentials so that I may take a look?
    - Send an email using our secure contact form on https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown
    - On the subject enter "Attn: aristath".
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue
    - Include a link to your website
    - Include your superadmin credentials (username + password)
    - Include your FTP user/pass

Cheers,
    Ari.

• JoAnn

Hi Ari,

I got desperate and downgraded back to wordpress 3.6.1

The problem was corrected after I overwrote the wp-includes folder.

I had overwritten the wp-admin and wp-content folders and tested after each overwrite with no change.

When I overwrote the wp-includes folder the problem was corrected and I am now able to access the plugin and theme pages. So, I can only think that the problem rests somewhere in that file.

So, until that is fixed I will stay with 3.6.1

Thanks for all of your hard work. I hope Wordpress will correct whatever the issue is.

JoAnn

• aristath
    • Recruit

This gets weirder and weirder...
    But perhaps the solution is simpler than what we thought.
    If you upgraded WordPress automatically from your dashboard the first time, there's a slight chance that some files did not get overwritten the first time, resulting in a "hybrid" version of WordPress, with some files new and some other files old.

Do you want me to check if this is the case?
    I will have to manually (via FTP) delete these folders: wp-includes, wp-admin
    and all wordpress core files on the root of your WordPress installation (except the .htaccess file and the wp-content folder where your plugins & themes are).

Then check if indeed these have been removed, as there might be permission issues that prevent some files from being deleted. That would explain a lot...

Then upload all WP 3.7.1 files to your server (via FTP again) and once that's done, check if the issue still occurs.

Chances are it won't.

If it does, we can always downgrade to 3.6 again...

How does that sound?

Cheers,
    Ari.

• JoAnn

Yes, it is weird, isn't it? I think we should do everything we can to find the root of the problem. And, I do want the site to have the benefit of the latest Wordpress update.

Yes, please go ahead and delete and replace the folders. I am assuming the site will be down for a short time. I will apologize to my members later. Sunday is usually a slow day for member sign ins anyway.

I will be waiting to see if this works.

Again, thanks for your dedication and hard work.

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Well, that did not work, so I have downgraded to wordpress 3.6.1 again and I can now see my plugins and themes.

I cannot help but think there is some sort of conflict between 3.7.1 and the membership plugin. Can anyone here verify that?

Thanks again for all the hard work you do.

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Ari has been working on this for quite a while and just could not figure it out.

Finally--today--SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was the theme. Business Portfolio.

As soon as I upgraded to wordpress 3.8 I could no longer access my plugins or themes. Just got a 'page not found' error.

I suspected that it might be the theme because I have two other blogs (multi site) and I could see the plugins and themes from those dashboards and they use different themes.

So, I reverted back to 3.6.1.

Then I downloaded a fresh copy of Business Portfolio and FTP'd it up.

That did not work.

So, I spent all night updating a new theme and upgraded to 3.8 and all is working just fine.

JoAnn

• JoAnn

Oppps. The problem has returned.

Everything ran fine for one day. I did not change anything, I did not add or delete any plugins or themes, and suddenly it started acting up again.

Could not access the plugins page, but could access the themes page.

Reverted back to 3.6.1.

====sigh====

JoAnn

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.