network-deactivate of Anti-Splog crashes WPMU server

I just wrote you about what I thought was a reporting plugin that caused a crash with Anti-Splog. I was in error. When I just attempted to network-deactivate Anti-Splog it is clear that this action caused the crash. The error follows:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_is_mobile() in /home/rvhobo7663/public_html/wp-content/plugins/blog-suspended.php on line 80

I want to remove or suspent Anti-SPlog to test other plugins.

Jesse

• Patrick

Hi there @jetiii

Welcome to WPMU DEV, glad to have you aboard!

That error is saying there's a function in blog-suspended.php that your site doesn't understand. Which is perfectly understandable as the function is defined in the plugin you just deactivated.

That file should have been moved to wp-content, not wp-content/plugins. So, as it is currently in the plugins folder, your WordPress considers it as a plugin in and of itself, and is throwing the error.

Please remove the blogs-suspended.php file from wp-content/plugins and your site should be back to normal.

I hope this helps! And thanks for being a member :slight_smile:

• jetiii

Thank you for your conjecture leading to a "guess". Thank you for the welcome. Now lets start off with I am a Senior Computer Scientist with over 37 years experience including as Senior Computer Scientist at a Los Alamos Think Tank. Now I am not saying that I don't make simple mistakes, and sometimes big ones, but I generally get answers from suppliers that are based on factual answers, not undeclared best-guesses.

OK, now lets start with what the directory structure looks like, not what you think they look like. The blogs-suspended.php is in the wp-content folder, NOT your best guess (plugins). It was moved from plugins to there, and has been running fine for about a week, except that some splogs got in.

I have been hired to evaluate your and other packages for some Fortune 500 companies. If what you said was true, that the network-deactivate left your orphaned code in your file, that doesn't look very good, wouldn’t you agree?

Now, please let me know if you want to access the server so that we can find a real solution to the problem.

Thank You, Jesse

• Patrick

Hi again @jetiii

I hope you're well today!

I apologize if my previous reply appeared presumptuous, and, I assure you, my intention was not to belittle your experience or expertise.

That said, the recommendation I provided above was not based on any guess, but rather on the error message you pasted in your original post:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function wp_is_mobile() in /home/rvhobo7663/public_html/wp-content/plugins/blog-suspended.php on line 80

That message states that the blogs-suspended.php file was found by your WordPress install in the wp-content/plugins folder, and could not locate a function it found there, so it threw that error.

When the blogs-suspended.php file has been moved to /wp-content/, deactivating Anti-Splog will not throw any errors at all.

I managed to reproduce the error, and crash my own install lol, only by moving blogs-suspended.php to my wp-content/plugins folder, then activating what appeared in my network plugins screen as a legitimate plugin: Anti-Splog (Spammed Notice and Splog Review Form)

You should not see that in your plugins list in your admin.

Sometimes, when dragging files/folders to another location in a FTP client, I manage to somehow drop them in an incorrect location.

Would you please double-check that a potentially stray copy of the file blogs-suspended.php or the folder put-in-wp-content did not somehow find its way into your /wp-content/plugins/ folder?

If you would like us to take a closer look ourselves at your install, please enable support access via your WPMU DEV Dashboard as described here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

If you would like to also send us FTP access credentials, please use our secure contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select "I have a different question" from the dropdown, and please include the following:

Subject line: Attn: Patrick Cohen
    Site URL: ___________
    FTP Host: _____________
    FTP user: ______________
    FTP pass: ______________
    Forum thread: https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/network-deactivate-of-anti-splog-crashes-wpmu-server

Thanks!

• jetiii

Hi Patrick,

I owe you an apology, there was a copy of blog-suspended.php in the plugins folder. I guess I’m getting to be a grumpy old man, but I do apologize. I just saw your post and knew that no one had come to the website to look at it, and I checked the anti-splog and wp-content folders, so I assumed it was a “quick answer”, and it wasn’t.

I don’t normally do evaluations on someone else’s software, but it is for long time “partners” and right in the middle of my “last” product release you can see it at blog.kodegen.com. A real IDE, with a client-side database that ties to any back end server Database.

Anyway, I renamed the offending file in plugins and I will try deactivating it again. So you know what and why I’m doing this, splogs are getting in as they used to when we used Akismet. I wanted to try “Wordpress Zero Spam” at this site, as it eliminated every splog for us.

Again, thank you Patrick.

Jesse

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.