network domain...

i installed marketpress 2.7...

if doamin is xxx.com,
network 'user1' domain is 'xxx.com/wordpress/user1 '...

is it possible user1'domain is 'xxx.com/user1'...?

how to??

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @jaeyong_cho

Glad to have you around here. I'm just getting back into the forum after a few weeks away, so I may have missed inviting you before now. So, welcome.

So that we can better help you, I'll ask a question. Please don't be offended, but I usually ask the simple questions because I look for the simple solution first.

Did you install WordPress in your root directory OR did you install it in the WordPress subdirectory (as I see so many people do)? From my experience, when you install WordPress in the root directory (the way I always do), each subsite is domain.com/subsite1, domain.com/subsite2, etc. Of course, you can then set it up so each user can have their own domain for their subsite.

Please verify this first so we can be better equipped to help you.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Thanks @Tom.

That's exactly where I was going.

Also, on a side note, I'm curious why you installed WordPress in a subdirectory (of any name)? I know that there are some I know that there are several pundits that propose this as a means to further increase the security of your website against crackers. However, I've not seen the value of doing so and in fact see sooooooooo many problems created by doing so. I know that their thought process (or so they tell me) is that you are not installing your key WordPress files in the root directory so they are better protected. My response is "How?"

In my opinion, you are actually calling attention to the fact that your website is a WordPress website because that /wordpress shows up in your URL now. Any newbie cracker can find out of your website is WordPress, so why bother with the headaches it can create. Just install it in the root directory, run it like a regular website, and roll on to making money either by completing the website for a client or by selling whatever you are selling on your website.

Just handle the website security in good ways and make life easier. Of course, I'm known as the "Lazy Marketer" by those who know how I work. LOL

Regardless, your choices are to either use Tom's solution OR reinstall in the root directory.

Good luck.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

Goodday @jaeyong_cho

I think your server configuration may be a little different than mine, but the concept is the same. It appears that yours should be installed in the ~cycho97/html/ directory. In mine, it's in the public_html directory I think. That's the actual root directory of the domain. What you referenced is your account, so I think it will need to go in the html folder.

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• James Dunn
    • The Crimson Coder

BTW @jaeyong_cho

Tom and I didn't say that WordPress "HAS" to be installed in the root directory - a lot of people don't and swear by NOT doing it. But, I think Tom might agree. Things are just soooooo much simpler if you do install it in the root directory

James Dunn
    Athens, GA USA

• Tom Eagles
    • Syntax Hero

@jaeyong_cho

As JamesDunn pointed out its not a requirement to do it that way, but it has many benefits such as simplicity in the cases like yours , also it has seo benefits as your urls are not one level deeper. But simplicity is the key unless you are an experienced developer. I like to keep my htaccess nice and simple and doing url rewrites just makes debugging further down the road more difficult.

Let us know how you get on

Cheers!

Tom

ps @JamesDunn thanks for the stellar input as usual :slight_smile:

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings jaeyong_cho,

We have not heard back from you as to the status of this issue.

If you are still having an issue please let us know so that we may try to get you fixed up as soon as possible by choosing to check mark this ticket as unresolved below and posting any new errors or symptoms you are noticing.

This action will also bring your ticket up front back in plain view again within the ticket system.

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.