Network of Affiliates for Individual Stores?

Alright, so this is the idea: a multisite network where people can sign-up for individual sites/blogs and do paid upgrades to get more themes, plugins (specifically membership/marketpress/events+), etc. Fairly easy with the releases you already have….

The tricky part: I would like to have a network level affiliate program that would still work for each individual store. In other words, an affiliate can sign-up to the “network” and their affiliate code would work for any sites on the network that have signed up for the upgraded plans to have their own online store, membership, or whatever. It would essentially allow anyone on the “network” to share affiliates without having to go through the tremendous work of building their affiliates up, and affiliates get the benefit of having one large pool to explore and pull from.

Gut feeling is that this isn’t possible at the moment, but I’m decent at hacking code if given a proper directive :slight_smile:

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Ok, just want to make sure I understand the Affiliate bit.

Do you want all sites to be able to offer their own affiliate system AND the ability to track folks who signup for your own services on the network?

If so, no, that’s not currently possible. You can definitely do one or the other of those by default. There’s a guide posted awhile back for integrating affiliates with any system which may be of use to you:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/integrating-the-affiliate-plugin-part-one/

Otherwise, clarify the above and we’ll see about getting you set in the right direction. Thanks!

• dokether
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Sorry, hope this clarification helps: essentially, I want all of the sites on the network to share the same pool of affiliates. No matter what site they sign-up on (individual site or the main network site), they should be able to use their affiliate code on any site within the network. The focus of the network is on small, often home-based businesses that have a hard time maintaining/generating a lot of affiliate support/interest. So the idea is to have everyone on the network work together collectively to generate and share the same pool of affiliates.

I know you can “network activate” the affiliate plugin, but I was under the belief that that was to track affiliate leads for the network’s services from any of the children sites, rather than say track affiliate leads for each of the individual sites from the collective pool of affiliates?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Thanks for the clarification. Based on what you’re wanting to do, I’d agree Network Activation isn’t the way to go. Simply activate the plugin on your main site. Then make sure each of your users gets setup with a default role (of subscriber or whatever ya prefer) on the main site when they get their main sub-site. This way, they’ll be added as part of the affiliate system and get their own unique referral code.

You can use a plugin to make sure they are added to the correct sites. I used to use this plugin, it hasn’t been updated in awhile but should do the trick:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/multisite-user-management/

Hope this helps. Let us know if you need anything further!

• dokether
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Okay, just so I got this straight, when someone signs-up on the main site as an “affiliate” role, this plugin would auto-add them to all of the sites in the network? And your affiliate plugin would pickup on their “role” so they are automatically integrated into the affiliate system? Because the idea is that the affiliate signs-up once but can link to any sites on the network and get credit for it.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

That’s mostly it. There’s no ‘affiliate’ role. If they have any role on the main site, they will also be an affiliate.

What exactly are you using as a successful even that would trigger an affiliate payment? If it’s a signup on multisite then this always takes place on the main site, not sub-sites.

If it’s something else, and you need to track across all sites then network activate the plugin and add the following define to your wp-config:

define('AFFILIATE_USE_GLOBAL_IF_NETWORK_ACTIVATED','yes');

Thanks!

• dokether
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Mason,

Sorry, I was going to use Tadlock’s “Members” plugin to create a few custom roles within WordPress to be able to better understand and track who was what, that’s why I was referring to the “affiliate” role.

I haven’t *built* this yet, planning on getting started here in September as my Fall/Winter-hermitage project (cold winters up here in Canada :grinning:. I was planning on using MarketPress, Events+, or Membership for the “trigger” apps for the affiliate payment. Each site could potentially have one or all three of these apps. So the trigger would be on the main site for sign-ups to the network, or it could be on individual sub-sites for products/memberships/events purchased through the sub-site.

So, based on that, would you still think I need to use that variable definition?

Thanks for all of your help so far!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.