Network Searches

> Global Site Search

> Network theme

– Latest version WP/WP Network

– No Buddy Press, or Child themes

– Extensions, not sub-domains ( http://www.website.com/cars/ etc. example)

– Fresh install of WP

– Great servers we’ve been using for 10 years

Although I appreciate the ease of most plugins, I’ve found complete frustration attempting to accomplish any type of “network wide” site search of, …anything across the network of 8 sites.

First, I and my assistant have spent days, not hours. We certainly must be missing something, but we have read all related installation and forum comments relating to both, “Global Site Search”, and “Network” theme.

All individual website Search works perfectly.

New posts, old posts, post titles, content, tags, …no matter what, they say “Sorry, cant’ find keyword…”.

We really believed that either “Network” or “Global Site Search” would function out of the box when we joined. The “network search” was the primary lead to the WPMU site.

We are so very delayed now on the project and we expected a “piece of cake solution”. What are we missing? How do I get a network search of “posts” or “key words” to function on either of these?

Thanks so very much for a solution.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ecogreen,

Sorry you’ve had difficulty. Let’s see if we can get it sorted here.

The Global Site Search plugin depends on the Post Indexer plugin to pull information. You’ll first need to have Post Indexer installed:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/post-indexer

Any new post created after the post indexer plugin is installed will be searchable by the Global Site Search. Let’s make sure these two things are understood and then move forward from there.

Thanks!

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya ecogreen,

I believe the Network Theme search just uses the default WordPress/BuddyPress search function – it’s admittedly limited. In my tests I was able to pull up posts when I typed in a word that appeared in a post title – it doesn’t search the content of the posts and possibly not the taxonomy either.

I’ll ask the theme developer if there’s any way to extend this – but searching is something WordPress doesn’t handle to well (in my opinion) by default.

Thanks!

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

It just uses the built in WordPress or BuddyPress search nothing more you’d have to get a custom development job to make it do anything more. Either by yourself or through perhaps our job board.

Aside from WordPress BuddyPress itself has poor searching which is something the project is working on.

• ecogreen
    • Flash Drive

Mason and Tammie, thank you for your input.

Regarding “Global Site Search”, yes, it works fine when adding “Post Indexer”. We just didn’t

really connect that it was absolutely essential to make “Global Site Search” function.

Works great when added!

Regarding “Network”, I’m thinking if “Post Indexer” is so efficient, then why can’t it be integrated

into the “Network” theme as the searcher to amplify “Network”? It seems that may be all it is

missing to make it the complete “Network” theme we are hoping for.

Thanks again for your good work and comments.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

I agree with Tammie on integrating this plugin and theme – I don’t think it’s a good idea.

However, it would be good to have a tutorial or something written up explaining how to provide search like the way you’ve done it here. I’ll ask some of our folks over at wpmu.org if we can do this. I agree, it’d be helpful to folks who want this :slight_smile:

Glad it’s all sorted for ya!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.