Network Theme Clear Instructions

Hi,

I’ve gone through the instructions several times but it seems very hard with out php knowledge for some one who simply wants to buy and make it work to the point what it says. aka. configuration instructions are incomplete and not clear.

I have Multiple Sites (WordPress MU) and all I am trying to display the latest post ; post count and posted date on the main site home page with post’s image. Main site is using this Network theme and all other sites are using different theme.

I’ve installed an “network activated” network theme on the main site. It not showing any information from other sites. After activating the network theme , I created test posts on other sites which are not displayed on the main site home page. Only posts created on the main site are showing up on the main site home page.

2ndly, Under Network Theme Settings –> Advance Options: I see all other Sites are listed under “Exclude these blogs from the featured display”. I dont want these to be excluded. How can I tell the theme?

We have also tried uploading other sites theme into Network Theme “child” folder but that did not make any difference.

Please help.

Thanks

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya desibantu,

First off, welcome to WPMU DEV! :smiley:

I’m sorry you’re having trouble. Can you explain what it is your trying to accomplish?

The Network Theme doesn’t provide you with any way to control sub-sites on your multisite install – and you shouldn’t be putting other themes into the network/themes folder.

If you can tell us a bit more about what you’re wanting to do and provide a link to your site so we can see what’s going on, we’ll gladly help ya in anyway we can.

Thanks and again, welcome!

• desibantu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi,

We are running WordPress Multi Site with 4 individual sites. We are trying to accomplish the look and feel or wordpress.com Home page where , when ever any one updates a post or writes a new post in any of these sites, it should appear with the post’s image on the main site. This is the first goal. If the main site home page can also display the total number of posts each of these sites has along with the data of the latest post, that will be great.

Here is the link to test site link . http://www.desibantu.info.

Thanks,

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Thanks for clarifying. That’s exactly what this theme is designed to do for ya. I’m glad we’re on the same page :slight_smile:

It appears that you’ve currently set it up to show blog posts rather than network posts.

Can you make sure that under Network Theme > Advanced Options you have the following:

Show blog posts or show network posts? “Network Posts”

It should not show posts from your main site when you have this set up correctly.

Let us know. Thanks!

• desibantu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thanks for the quick response and I am excited that we found the right theme and like to see this work.

I made sure “Network Posts” is selected. However, like I mentioned previously, all sub sites or other sites are listed under “Exclude these blogs from the featured display”. May be this is why its not showing up on the home page?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

@desibantu: Can you ensure you are on the latest version as there were some previous cases where blogs were not showing for people.

Also that list is for you to click on each blog you don’t want to show it will not exclude unless the blog is selected (clicked). As default it shows all but unselected.

You will also find a range of step by step guides under the Help section of this theme that should clarify some of these things.

• desibantu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hi, We did ensure running latest version and they are as follows

WordPress: You have the latest version of WordPress.

You have the latest version of WordPress. You do not need to update. However, if you want to re-install version 3.1, you can do so automatically or download the package and re-install manually:

WPMU: Network: Current Theme ver. 1.2 | By Tammie Lister (Designer) and David Bisset (developer) installed at 2/27 at 10.54 AM (previous versions didn’t , tried on seperate hosting providers also)

Band new test site:

Active Network Plugins are: Creative Commons Configurator 1.2 By George Notaras; WP Super Cache 0.9.9.8 by Donncha O Caoimh.

As mentioned earlier, followed your availabled “step-by-steup” instructions and reviews all forums but none of those were helpful thus logged this ticket. What else can we do?

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Please turn off all plugins particularly the cache one. Then clear your browser and see if it works. Make sure you clear the cache in your browser to ensure this is a valid test. Make sure also you have NO sites selected on exclude and it set to network posts.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

You can send admin login details to the contact form but not sure I can get to look today – mark for the attention of Tammie. I will be going through all the steps I’ve already stated so please go over them to check incase you’ve missed one. There is no known issue if you are using the updated theme and this is the main blog of your network. Is this your main blog? It will only work in that instance.

I will note we won’t be doing the customisation you said with numbers what I am testing is that on the main blog it shows network blog posts as this is what it should do.

Also for this test make sure each sub blog has a blog post or two.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

I looked and there are either one issues with your options table or the blog table IDs. First up we’re releasing a new version today once that is out (it will be some point today) can you test. If that doesn’t work please update this thread. I need to know if you are using multidb or not then and also have you clear out any reference to dev_network in your wp_options table.

• desibantu
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

HI, Here is the response from hosting provider:

You are not using Multiple databases for the website.

However clearing records in your database will require the creation of custom query for that. This is a development request and unfortunately we do not offer development services at this time. You may request the query from your developer and execute it via cPanel > phpyAdmin.

• Tammie
    • WordPress Wizard

Resolution for most if any issues were to use latest network and have their multi db working fine. Anyone with any issues still please start a new thread with their issues and we can look at each case. You may not have the same issue or even a new issue so adding to a thread like this probably won’t be the best way to get support for you.

We will help just need to know your exact situation in each case to deal with your issue. This is not by me closing it saying there is no issue or we will not help.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.