Network UPDATE

Is the update just the allowed sites array? I am converting to a child theme (made the mistake of not using one in the first place) so I wanted to make sure that is the only thing being updated now.
thanks!

• cmccb
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Great. So, I have been trying to nail down the child theme creation for Network all morning - and I am a bit confused. I have created child themes for many twentyeleven, coraline, and other themes but this one has me stumped.

So, in Network there is a "themes" folder that has the "Network-child" folder. I copied and pasted it in my top-level wp-content -- themes -- directory, and activated it. I opened style.css in the child folder, uncommented the import urls and added "Template: network to the top". Then, I dropped my 'version' of style.css into that folder, and it did not pick up my css edits.

When I created the child themes before, I would just recreate the directory and be done with it, after adding the "template: parent" command to the top of style.css.

What am I doing wrong?
    Thanks

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya,

First off, you don't need to add Template to style.css as that's done for you and may be why the CSS isn't taking hold.

Secondly, have you uncommented the last line of the child style.css and added your new styles to _inc/css/child.css as directed?

Phil

• cmccb

1. Thanks Phil! You were correct, I had added Template: Network to the top of child.css and did not need to. I then took the files "layout.css" and "green.css" where I had made edits, and just copied and pasted them into that folder. The changes were recognized on the site. I think the multiple .css files confused me - so ALL .css edits that I make need to be in child.css - there is no easy way to keep the directory structure of the parent?
    2. Also, I renamed the functions-exmple file to functions.php. However, I made edits to "discover.php" (basically deleted it as I do not need it shown on the site at all) and made some edits to header.php -- how do I integrate those changes - do I have to add the edited functions from both files to child functions.php? Or do I just place the edited files in the same folder as the functions.php file?
    3. Last, I want to change the layout of page.php and cannot find the file that is pulling in the content. Any thoughts?

Thanks for walking me through this - I appreciate the complexity of this theme and once I learn my way around it I think things will run smoothly!

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Yep, you will need to make all stylesheet edits in your child.css and they will then overwrite the parent styles automatically.

As for other edits, you will need to copy those edited files from the parent to the child theme, maintaining the correct structure. Then you should revert the parent to the default and ensure everything works correctly.

When you say you cannot find the file for page.php what exactly are you looking for?

Phil

• cmccb

Thanks Phil!
    When you say you cannot find the file for page.php what exactly are you looking for?
    I would like the title(s) of the page(s) not to display.

As for the discoverheader.php, etc. files, I will try to copy over my version of those files into the child keeping the same directory structure, and then use unedited copies in the parent. Hopefully I can get it right!
    cmccb

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.