Network updates are stuck or something

For more than 3 hours now i have been unable to access any menus in the network admin area. Earlier i went to update all sites and since then it has been saying "applying updates 2 of 3" as it refresh the page. All other sites seem to be working fine on the frontend and backend.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Thomas,

Sorry to hear of the problem you are having.

Do you have backup of your site which we can restore?

Would you mind if I logged in to your site and did some testing? This might help get to the bottom of this faster. If this is ok, just send log in info through our secured contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    - Choose "I have a different question"
    - Include my name in the subject "Vinod Dalvi"
    - Include the URL of this post in your message so that I may track this issue better
    - Include login information (Wordpress admin info username + password )
    - Include FTP Details

Kind Regards,
    Vinod Dalvi

• Thomas

Thank you for your help. I am not sure if you were able to use the information i sent yet, but i see the problem is resolved. If nothing was done prior to this comment by wpmudev (Vinod Dalvi), then i believe it was a "theme" issue. I am using a theme i purchased a while back. After deactivating the theme is when i notice i was able to update everything (sites,themes,plugins). Could just be a coincidence :slight_smile:.

However, if i am wrong i would appreciate it if you could share the cause, or "real" issue and how it was fixed.

Also, I now have a new question that arived from this issue.

Since i do use every plugin, will i incur issues when i update a plugin or in the earlier issue, when i update all sites?

Im guessing, but it seems like to maintain an optimal experience with my site i should ONLY use wpmudev plugins and themes. I feared this before in using "jetpack" plugin. If i "automatically" update all themes and plugins by wpmudev, would it conflict with themes and/or plugins not associated with wpmudev...or vice versa, if i update themes and/or plugins not associated with wpmudev themes and plugins will there be conflicting issues. It seems like an obvious notion, but then it would seem like "compatibility" really doesn't matter if updates are basically running at the same time.

• Ash

Hello @Thomas

I hope you are well today.

I am not sure if @Vinod Dalvi worked in your site or not, so he could confirm about this :slight_smile:

About the conflicting issue, well, no one can confirm everything will be compatible with each other. When you will use products from multiple vendors, there are possibilities of conflict, but we have to live with this. No company will give you everything that you need.

The better solution is to have a staging site, where you will do your experiment. The staging site will be exact replica of live site in same server. So, if you want to update something or install new plugin, do it in staging site first. Check, if everything is working fine, if so, then make the same changes in live site too. This way, the live site won't ever break :slight_smile:

Hope it helps :slight_smile: Please feel free to ask more question if you have any.

Cheers
    Ash

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.